C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pennsylvania C3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:08 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Pennsylvania C3 owners

Has anyone had success in getting ANTIQUE tags for their car? I guess technically now the "String Ray" is no longer made and would be eligible for antique tags. Also, in 2004 the car would need to be a 1979 model or older to meet the 25 year old age stipulation.

I suppose CLASSIC tags would be easier to get, but for as much as I drive the car I want to rid myself of the state inspection process for this car. It would have no problem passing the new inspection criteria, I'd just rather go the $75 one time expense for antique tags and do my own yearly inspection.

[Modified by ettev, 11:09 AM 2/22/2004]
Old 02-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 432 Likes on 256 Posts

Default PA Antique License Plates

I've been putting "antique" plates on my Corvettes (as well as other classic Chevys) for the last fifteen years... Never had a problem getting them or driving with them although there are some operating limitations imposed by having the car registered as an "antique" (or "classic" for that matter).

A couple of benefits with the PA antique plates is that it is a one time registration and requires no annual inspection or emissions testing. Classic tags are also a one time only fee for registration, but you are still subject to an annual inspection... And might also be subject to emission testing under the new state law that went into effect in February, 2004.

As you noted, cost was around $75 last time I purchased them... You must provide photographs of the car and proof that you own another vehicle for primary transportation at the time the application is submitted.

Regards,
Old 02-22-2004, 12:56 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (ettev)

I got antique tags for my 72 last fall. I was warned it was not as easy to get antique tags as it used to be. Basically, I went to Department of Motor Vehicles in Harrisburg directly and applied in person. Took along ALL the information that I had to prove car was original and unmolested. Take pictures of all angles, front, back, and both sides. If you have any modifications ( exterior) remove them before taking pictures. First person at Penndot said no, so I appealed and got in another line while my file and folders went upstairs to department manager. Manager overulled first person and gave me the antique tags along with an apology and a compliment on what a nice original car I had. Also, if you are accepted, you walk out of Penndot with the antique tags in your hands.
Good luck, Bob
PS> The reason I failed the first time is my car had non factory sidepipes. I had the paperwork to prove they were installed by a Chevrolet dealer new prior to first delivery to original owner. Hope I helped you.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

:iagree:

I applied when I bought my '70. Took about a month. I had to take pics as described above. Funny thing though, they still gave me the plates when the Vette had Cragar wire wheels on it.

Foundvettelifeisgood mentioned to me last summer that the State Police were popping in on car cruises and shows, looking for non-stock appearing cars(modified) that had antique plates! :eek: I haven't personally experienced that though.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:45 PM
aharte
Drifting

So antique tags require the car to be original? What about classic? I still have my car registered in california where my parents are...
Old 02-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (aharte)

I think the terminology in the paper work is "stock appearing" and not modified. Originality is a different issue and implies 30 year old parts, untouched.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (Jughead)

I sell used Corvettes here in PA and get Antique and Classic tags all the time for our customers. Penn Dot employs the stuipest people in the DMV. Here are some of the run inns I have encountered.

On 1975 to 1982 cars Chevrolet shipped with each car a black front plate that says Corvette. 75-79 is one style 80-82 is another. Everytime I have front photos with the factory plate on the front I get shot down. The last time I snapped out and told the title clerk "what makes you an expert on Corvettes". That plate is standard equipment on all 75-82 Corvettes. Her response was no it isn't. I said call Sutliff Chevrolet(2blocks away) and ask the parts department.
She ask me what makes you an expert. Well anyone who knows me would laugh in her face. I said well I have sold 2,500 Corvettes since 1976 I guess that makes me an expert. She then issued me the tag.

Here is another one I go in to get claasic tags for a 1969 Lemans Blue coupe and they tell me it is rejected. I asked why? The back quaters have rust on them. There was a slight shadow in the photo. I said the car is made out of fiberglass the body can't rust. I said get your supervisor. The supervisor asked what is wrong, I told him, he looked at the photos and said give him the plate. After I had the plate I told the clerk your a dumbbutt and I wished Governor Ed Rendell follows through on his campain promise to get rid of incompetent Penn Dot workers starting with you.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (Corvette ED)

...After I had the plate I told the clerk your a dumbbutt and I wished Governor Ed Rendell follows through on his campain promise to get rid of incompetent Penn Dot workers starting with you.
You gotta be kidding yourself! Rendell, down-sizing the government?
:confused:
I saw in a recent newspaper that some Pa. state agency (Turnpike Commision?) turned-in receipts for $167,000 worth of ink/toner last year, altho they only have ONE ( 1 ) lousy copier machine...
AND the copier and ALL accessories, INCLUDING toner, are pre-paid in the agreement!
Don't count on Fast Eddie helping you or I out anytime soon...
:mad
Old 02-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (Glensgages)

I just got my wonderful purple color antique plate last week. I went to a license plate/notary business...not any state agency. The only thing I had to produce was 4 pics of my car. I don't know that orginality has much to do with it as my 1973 vette has a 1980 body and interior. The state just wants to know that the car is mostly original and that someone does not have a 1960 pickup truck that they use as a daily driver for work etc while trying to get an antique tag. You should not have any problems with an old vette.

I just finished reading all the post in this thread. I have a University of Georgia plate on the front of my vette which was in one of the pics. Also, three of the pictures where taken while the car was at the trim shop and still had no convertible top on the car. Maybe the problem is going directly to PennDot. Try going to a local business that issues tags. It only took me about three weeks to get my antique tag and I had NO problems.

[Modified by Frankenvette, 7:56 PM 2/22/2004]
Old 02-22-2004, 08:31 PM
frank0075
Instructor

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (Frankenvette)

I have classic plates on my 75 and antique plates on my 53 chevy pickup. Didn't have any problems with either. But I didn't use a state office, used one of the private license plate issuers. Just had pictures of both with me at the time the plates were issued. Was questioned about a spot on the photo of the truck, it was a shadow also.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (frank0075)

Cars have to be ORIGINAL??? :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Hmmmmmmm..........Gee, may be they will start requesting NCRS Awards or Bloomington Gold for "Proof of Originality" :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

I thought Ohio was bad :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

to get "Historical" tags in Ohio car must be worth at least $100.00(No, I'm not kidding)
and CANNOT be your PRIMARY method of transportation. :rolleyes:
Old 02-23-2004, 01:16 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (aharte)

So antique tags require the car to be original? What about classic? I still have my car registered in california where my parents are...
Yes, Pa also offers collectible tags, which have the same limitaions/restrictions as classic tags, but you car needs to have significant modifications. I hope to get around to applying for these soon, this way I won't need to do the emmission inspections anymore. I qualify for the 5000 mile inspection, but So far all the shops I have checking into charge the same thing for an exemption as they do for a real inspection :rolleyes: and all they have to do is verify the milage.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I like the others above have classic tags on my vette. Penndot is really easy to deal with some background, title and photographs and your done. Classic tags require a years safety inspection, but no emissions :smash:
Old 02-23-2004, 12:13 PM
tersian
Pro

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (killain)

My 81' is registered classic and I just had to give them 4 photos. I went to the DMV and got the plate the same day. With classic there is no emissions testing and no yearly registration charge. When I registered mine as a classic it was $100.00 one time charge.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: PA Antique License Plates (Rowdy Rat)

Rowdy Rat :seeya I only live a couple miles east of ya
Old 02-24-2004, 10:34 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: Pennsylvania C3 owners (fastfun)

Take pictures of all angles, front, back, and both sides. If you have any modifications ( exterior) remove them before taking pictures.
Will they accept color digital photos printed on regular paper or do they need to be lab developed film photos?

Get notified of new replies

To Pennsylvania C3 owners

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania C3 owners