C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:55 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Need your advice (killervette666)

posting to get the thread in synch w/the clock
Old 03-22-2004, 01:05 AM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need your advice

Were currently looking for a new front clip and weve decided that a one piece tilt would be SO much easier to install since you dont have to bond fiberglass, but lately i've found an ebay auction where a guy is selling a one piece tilt fron end w/o the tilt accesoris, BUT he cut out holes in the corner to make it look like a maco front end, can the y be glassed over? Same with the front of the hood, im intrested in it because it is SO cheap, he wants $650 for it.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:42 AM
78 Vette
Drifting

I think it may take more time a effort than its worth to close of the holes. How much is it new?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:27 AM
geezer
Instructor

Unless you've done tooling or pattern work before, I'd pass. I have done this type of work and to make that front end look perfect would probably take about 50+ hours of work, not a lot of material, just work! It would involve carving a urethane foam "part" for each hole. Then pulling a fiberglass mold off of that, then pulling a fiberglass part off the mold. Then grinding a looong beveled area around each hole and glassing those parts to the frontend. Finally bondo & primer. Then let it sit for a month to let all the repaired areas dry and shrink. Then another round of bondo & primer and hope it doesn't shrink again.
If you just start slapping mat and resin around your gonna have a real thick repair area that will be prone to shrinkage for months to come.

Get notified of new replies

To Need your advice

Quick Reply: Need your advice