C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker nut difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
merc49
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default rocker nut difference

im rebuilding a 75 350 and noticed i have two different styles of rocker nuts.i have 8 of each but dont know which ones are exhaust and which are intake.8 are regular locknuts and 8 have a small lip on them.there must be a difference but havent been able to find out anything.they both tighten down the same.just want to put them back right so i dont have any problems.if anyone knows please let me know.thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Small block rocker nuts come in two different versions that I have seen. One has a smooth rounded top, the other has a squared top with a raised "collar". My '77 had the rounded top on all studs. Some aftermarket nuts have the rasied collar. No distinction whether exhaust or intake that I know of. They all are lock nuts that will have three indentions on the side/top that keep them from loosening. Hope this helps. mike...
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM
merc49
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

my engine has never been taken apart untill now and am curious why gm put the different nuts on the rockers,a friend of mine said the raised collar ones go on the exhaust rockers but hes not 100 percent sure.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait and see what the real experts have to say. I am just relating what little I think I know. mike...
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by merc49
my engine has never been taken apart untill now and am curious why gm put the different nuts on the rockers,a friend of mine said the raised collar ones go on the exhaust rockers but hes not 100 percent sure.
makes no difference where they are used and the lock nuts come in several styles....as to why you have 8 of one and 8 of another, who knows??......
Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 PM
learje
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id recomend ditchin them and goin w posilocks. no engine guy here, but in other applications often locknuts are only used once. i had a couple work loose after adjusting my valves awhile back. was a PITA doin it all over again for the cost of the posilocks. i do wonder if GM provided any guidance or any engine builders have any recomendations on how often these nuts can be reused..
Old 05-20-2012, 10:11 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by midyearvette
makes no difference where they are used and the lock nuts come in several styles....as to why you have 8 of one and 8 of another, who knows??......
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

the smart action to take is to go to your local parts store and buy new ones......who knows how many times they have been used and reused......about Posi locks, they suck...period...
Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

And there are a bunch of rocker covers that posilocks won't fit under without modding the cover or going to a tall cover.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by merc49
im rebuilding a 75 350 and noticed i have two different styles of rocker nuts.i have 8 of each but dont know which ones are exhaust and which are intake.8 are regular locknuts and 8 have a small lip on them.there must be a difference but havent been able to find out anything.they both tighten down the same.just want to put them back right so i dont have any problems.if anyone knows please let me know.thanks.
Possible someone changed to 1.6 rockers on the exhaust side. The old single pattern cams and stock heads liked the extra lift and this was a real common mod back in the day to pull a little extra power out of a stock engine. Check your rockers closely. Don't want to mix them up.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Possible someone changed to 1.6 rockers on the exhaust side. The old single pattern cams and stock heads liked the extra lift and this was a real common mod back in the day to pull a little extra power out of a stock engine. Check your rockers closely. Don't want to mix them up.
and check your cast numbers. Who knows, you might have two different heads.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

What's a posi-lock? I know about poly locks, never heard of posi locks.
If it's poly locks you're talking about, there's really no need for 'em on a stock engine.
And if they're done correctly, they'll out hold anything out there. Just gotta take the time to learn how to correctly lock 'em down. I've run several sets and have NEVER had one loosen up on it's own.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 AM
learje
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my bad, looks like they are called poly locks. been almost a year since i installed mine after having a couple rocker nuts loosen. bought them from a local machine shop and havent had any problems since. new stock nuts probably woulda been fine as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Self-locking rocker nuts will lose some of their locking ability the more times they've been cycled on and off. If any of them feel looser than the others, they can gradually creep loose over time and increase valve lash (solids) or decrease pre-load (hydraulics). If any are looser, it might be good to replace them all, but also examine the studs too because the threads on the rocker studs can also wear from the self-locking nuts.

Why not use poly-lock nuts?... Most won't work with normal height stock valve covers!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default thanks for the spelling correction

Originally Posted by L88Plus
What's a posi-lock? I know about poly locks, never heard of posi locks..

well now ya no...... lern sumptin evry da.....aye

never thought that 'poly' was appropriate for them...don't know why but it always reminded me of something plastic or chemical rather than performance........

Get notified of new replies

To rocker nut difference

Quick Reply: rocker nut difference