C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high can I safely rev?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 10:55 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default How high can I safely rev?

Hello Gents!

I've got a 70 LT1 that I've had converted to hydraulic lifters. What should my rev limit be?

Also, I am running a pertronix 1 set up - does anyone know if there is a built in rev-limiter in this unit. Either that or I have a sag at high rpm....

pm
Old 07-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Hydraulic lifters begin to float around 6300-6500rpms, after that you are "just making noise". There is of course ant-pump lifters and rev kits availible to help.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:50 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard you should set your rev limiter to 500rpms past your peak horse power, but i could be way off. i just think i heard that some where, so with that in mind you wouldnt want to rev more then 500 past your peak horse power if you didnt have a rev limiter?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on the cam and valve train you're running. While a mild cam will probably quit making power well before you've reached a safe rev limit for the rest of the engine, a hotter cam might allow the engine to rev past the ability of the springs or bottom end. A "rev limit" can be either the point where there's no more to be gained by reving it higher or an rpm just below where damage is likely. Typically, the rev limit of an engine is something below the point in which it's weakest point will fail. Ignitions with rev limiters will have some means of setting the limit, pills, dials, etc.. I think it's safe to say that the Pertronix doesn't have a rev limiter.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I don't understand why you would convert to hyd. lifters. I have ahd solids for years and the yrequire little adjustment (contrary to what people think). They rev much higher without any float. Yea the ymake a little more noise but with a good exhaust you barely hear them. That said the yusually float around 6 to 6500 with a properly setup valve train. It depends on what cam you are running if you need to go that high also.

Get notified of new replies

To How high can I safely rev?

Quick Reply: How high can I safely rev?