C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muncie M20 Rebuild Kit complete Gearset - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:10 AM
René K.
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Muncie M20 Rebuild Kit complete Gearset - Recommendations?

Hi guys,

I have a standard M20 in my 72 Small Block Coupe. Unfortunately 3rd gear is whining significantly and there is some grind-debris at the magnet of the oil drain screw (I was told that comes from the countergear damper and is "normal", gears 1, 2, 4 are ok, bearings have been replaced already and overall it is comfortable to shift). However, it is just annoying. Now, I am thinking of replacing the entire gear set incl. cluster gear.

What do you think?

Any comments/recommendations, especially with regards to a high quality supplier for the required parts!?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers...
René
Old 11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 934 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I bought a rebuild from 5speeds.com Paul is on the forum here and was great in getting all the parts I need together in a kit at a very reasonable price. He has gear sets available also. I would recommend him.

Last edited by Kubs; 11-28-2016 at 12:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kubs:
blue427 (01-21-2022), forman (01-19-2022), Rescue Rogers (01-20-2022)
Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by René K.
Hi guys,

I have a standard M20 in my 72 Small Block Coupe. Unfortunately 3rd gear is whining significantly and there is some grind-debris at the magnet of the oil drain screw (I was told that comes from the countergear damper and is "normal", gears 1, 2, 4 are ok, bearings have been replaced already and overall it is comfortable to shift). However, it is just annoying. Now, I am thinking of replacing the entire gear set incl. cluster gear.

What do you think?

Any comments/recommendations, especially with regards to a high quality supplier for the required parts!?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers...
René
Have a look at Autogear, they source high quality replacement gears from Italy and are a pleasure to deal with, I've just converted my M21 to a M22w new countershaft and matching main shaft gears new synchros and bearings, during my research it appears that everyone uses the Autogear parts anyway.
Graham
Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

I second the recommendation for Paul! He uses all the Autogear stuff. I have done business with him over the years and he is a great guy with good pricing. You have to be careful with this Muncie stuff as their are a lot of counterfeit parts floating around. Two others I have dealt with and highly recommend are Jody Haag at Jody's transmissions in PA, and Larry Fischer at D&L transmissions on Long Island. All 3 are Autogear distributors and you don't want to use anything but Autogear parts!

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 11-29-2016 at 07:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
forman (01-19-2022)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:13 PM
René K.
Instructor

Thanks for your recommendations. This italian stuff seems to be good quality!?! Do you think they also produce for other shops? I found this one here as well...

http://www.5speeds.com/cart/index.ph...&product_id=71

I am wondering who the italian manufacturer is and if they sell from italy as well... ould make sense for a German customer!?! Any hints/ideas?

Thanks & Cheers...
René
Old 11-29-2016, 05:08 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

The Italian manufacturer that made the stuff for Autogear was Masiero. I don't know if they still make the stuff for them or not. That link is Paul who was mentioned above, and that is the good stuff. Buy that without hesitation. A great guy. Just make sure if you don't buy from him or the others above that you are getting Autogear parts. There really is a lot of bad gears out there.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 11-29-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Thanks for your recommendations. This italian stuff seems to be good quality!?! Do you think they also produce for other shops? I found this one here as well...

http://www.5speeds.com/cart/index.ph...&product_id=71

I am wondering who the italian manufacturer is and if they sell from italy as well... ould make sense for a German customer!?! Any hints/ideas?

Thanks & Cheers...
René
Hi Rene
I contacted the Italian manufacturer and the produce parts solely for Autogear and will not supply direct I am in the U.K. So for tax and duty purposes it would have been beneficial.
Graham
Old 11-29-2016, 05:40 PM
René K.
Instructor

Hi Graham,

so, if the italian manufacturer "Masiero" just produces for Autogear... and you are in the UK... it might be also a good alternative to buy from Autogear UK???

http://www.autogear.uk.com

That at least should be a little easier than buying from the US!?

Cheers...
René
Old 11-29-2016, 05:47 PM
René K.
Instructor

So, I assume this is the italian manufacturer´s "Masiero" homepage!?!

http://www.masiero.com/products.asp

I will try to contact them!

Cheers...
René
Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Hi Graham,

so, if the italian manufacturer "Masiero" just produces for Autogear... and you are in the UK... it might be also a good alternative to buy from Autogear UK???

http://www.autogear.uk.com

That at least should be a little easier than buying from the US!?

Cheers...
René
thanks Rene
i did come across that company during my research but although I didn't contact them I had the impression they weren't connected and Masiero only directed me at Autogear US even though I pointed out I was in the UK
Regards
Graham
Old 12-02-2016, 03:09 PM
René K.
Instructor

Quick update,

I recieved a response from Masiero, that they sell to shops only. However, they at least recommended a shop in the Netherlands... that is at least Europe and should be cheaper than importing from the US. I have contacted them and hoping for a positive response.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks so far for all your comments!!!

Cheers...
René
Old 01-19-2022, 02:41 PM
Petr D.
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rene, I am Peter from Czech Republic. I would like buy autogear m22w. I wrote to Italy. Bad answer. I must buy gears in US. There are OUT OF STOCK.
Do you buy this gears in Europe?

Thank you Peter
Old 01-20-2022, 11:15 AM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 145 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Originally Posted by Petr D.
Hi Rene, I am Peter from Czech Republic. I would like buy autogear m22w. I wrote to Italy. Bad answer. I must buy gears in US. There are OUT OF STOCK.
Do you buy this gears in Europe?

Thank you Peter
FYI, they have not been on the forum in three years so I doubt you'll get an answer.

Your best option is probably to make a new post in the Parts forum....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ale-wanted-56/

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie M20 Rebuild Kit complete Gearset - Recommendations?

Quick Reply: Muncie M20 Rebuild Kit complete Gearset - Recommendations?