C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing door parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 AM
bet's_vette
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing door parts

I need to replace my outside door handles, locks and while I'm there, I figured I replaced the window motors. I've gotten the inside panel off but am unsure how to proceed. I've got Chilton's and the Shop Manual but neither discuss the doors (72 vette).

Can someone point me to a good instructional spot? Or worse case, a reliable shop in the Raleigh NC area?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:37 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You need a service manual for the '72 and an assembly manual to show what goes where. If you haven't brought the motors yet. I would wait until you go thru the door channels. They get dry grease caked and the motors don't work well. If you clean them up and put litium white grease on them they usually work fine. If electrical is the problem , cleaning the contacts helps and then trouble shoot the wireing and the relays, etc. The window has to be taken off the channels and then they have to come out to get the motor and regulator out as a unit. Due to the spring on the regulator, you need to bolt it togetharto keep it from releasing before you remove the motor from it. This is all listed in the service manual.

PS; Just noticed you have shop manual, what kind? the service manual is red and yellow and covers all 1972 chevrolets.

Last edited by 72GACRZR; 08-11-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:41 PM
bet's_vette
Navigator

My corvette library includes:

Corvette Shop manual 1966-82 (Covers all small-block and big-block corvettes)

Chilton General Motors 1963-82

How to restore & modify your Corvette

Motor's Auto Repair Manual 1972
Old 08-11-2004, 03:17 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are good. The service manual I have is like these

http://www.zip-products.com/Corvette...3E722121D82DF9

It has instructions or removing the window and channels.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
stingray4me
Burning Brakes

It's just two nuts that hold the door handle on. I'm sure you'll drop the little clips 6 or 7 times while you're doing the project too Also a good time to adjust the handle to open sooner just play with it with the door panel off. if you screw with it too much & you have the door panel on you will have a hell of a time getting the door to open.
Here is a link of some projects I did, one is replacing the door regulator
http://www.corvetteclubcentralga.org...embersproj.htm
Old 08-13-2004, 04:38 PM
GDE8270
Heel & Toe

I have done the same except no power windows. There is not much room inside the well. One little trick is to use airplane glue to hold the small parts on the end of you finger while you align them or get them started. WD 40 works good with a brass brush to clear of the old grease.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing door parts

Quick Reply: Replacing door parts