C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing quadrajet to Edelbrock 1405

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:25 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing quadrajet to Edelbrock 1405

Sorry for the long post but I'll try to explain this as best I can.

I've read through previous threads but I still have need some help with this conversion before I start. On my '79 I have a quadrajet that has 3 lines that go to the evaporator unit. There is a 1/4" line and two 3/8" lines with one of these split with a 'y' connector to the pcv valve.

Here are the ports on the Edelbrock 1405 and my interpretation of how this should be connected. My question follows.

1) gas line port .. to existing gas line
2) power brake port .. to existing connection for master brake cylinder
3) pcv port .. to existing 'y' connection as explained above
4) timed vacuum port .. I was going to put the supplied plastic pipe plug on here
5) manifold vacuum port .. connect to the vaccum port off of the distributor.

So my question is ... Where do I connect the remaining 3/8" and 1/4" hoses that go to the evaporator unit? Thanks for the assistance.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You may have a more basic problem. The #1405 is a square-bore with a mechanical choke. The Q-Jet is a spread-bore carb. Do you have the adaptor?
Old 08-11-2004, 05:52 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Hi Paul. I should have mentioned I'm replacing the intake manifold at the same time. I purchased the Edelbrock 2701 performer intake so this should be ok?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I am going to leave the reply to someone else at this point. I do not wish to mis-lead you. The #1405 carb is pre-emissions so you may have run out of connections.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM
79Cruzer
Instructor

ttt
Old 08-12-2004, 11:06 AM
JBR
Racer

My 1405 Edelbrock has fuel line in back passenger side. Open port in rear center(full intake vac. plug off or use) for pvc or any full time vac.Center front base (intake vac. for pvc.plug if needed) Front passenger side base, This is the only ported vac. small port (vac advance). drivers side base, small port full time vac. You have lots of choices. I would have to look at my q-jet to help ypu on those ports.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:38 AM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Thanks JBR. I looked at my AIM manual. Could I remove the vapor cannister and plug the vapor line from the tank? I think this would solve my problem with installing the new carb and intake.Does this mean I would need a vented cap on the tank? Is there a 'standard' vented tank cap that would fit a '79 vette? Anyone?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:56 PM
JBR
Racer

Back to your original post.
Power brake line - any full time vac source( base of carb.)
PVC - either front or rear middle at base of carb.
Timed vac port. - vac advance line on 1405 goes to small passenger side port front base of carb. (this is ported)
Manifold vac port- is this on the carb?
Now the remaining 3/8 and 1/4" lines can be hooked up by using Ys or Ts off any full time vac port.
With reguards to removing the Vac canister WHY you do'nt have to.
In my case the vac canister is getting its vac through a small line from the pass side of intake manifold ported into the manifold itself.

Last edited by JBR; 08-12-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:53 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

JBR. Thanks for your help on this. I also talked to someone at the performance store this afternoon where I purchased the carb and intake. I took in the AIM manual to show my current setup. He mentioned to leave the vapor line from the fuel tank hooked up and connect the pcv line to the carb. The remaining 2 lines in question (1/4" and 3/8" that come from the vapor cannistor) can be blocked off. Does this sound right? Anyone else feel free to chime in as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing quadrajet to Edelbrock 1405

Quick Reply: Changing quadrajet to Edelbrock 1405