C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tune up

Old 08-11-2004, 10:32 PM
wellsw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tune up

HI, I am trying to install points, condenser and rotor in my 74 454. How do I remove the part that is under the rotor so I can get at the points and condenser? After I take off the rotor, I cannot seem to get the next part off. Thanks, Wells
Old 08-11-2004, 11:07 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

When I take off the distributor cap, and then I take off the rotor, I am looking at the points and condensor..... with little screws to remove them... I think... What does your's look like??
Old 08-12-2004, 09:22 AM
wellsw
Advanced

Default points

When I unscrew the rotor there is a metal plate (that the rotor attaches to.) It covers the points and condeser. I tried to pull it off (gently), but it did not come off. Do in need to use more force or is there some other trick to rmove this plate? I have looked in my assembly manual and the factory service manual and can't seem to find any instructions. If anyone can tell me where to look in either of those books that would be very helpful. Thanks, Wells
Old 08-12-2004, 09:25 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it a GM dist.???? does it look like a shield ???
Old 08-12-2004, 09:26 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Hold on there. That is as far as it goes. No further disasembly is required or desired. Unscrew the points, condenser and replace.

set gap and put it back together.

-Mark.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:27 AM
wellsw
Advanced

Default points

When I unscrew the rotor there is a metal plate (that the rotor attaches to.) It covers the points and condeser. I tried to pull it off (gently), but it did not come off. Do in need to use more force or is there some other trick to rmove this plate? I have looked in my assembly manual and the factory service manual and can't seem to find any instructions. If anyone can tell me where to look in either of those books that would be very helpful. Thanks, Wells
Old 08-12-2004, 10:30 AM
wellsw
Advanced

Default Points

OK, that post from Mark answers my question. I do not need to or cannot remove that plate? It is part of the distrubutor shaft? I guess from the side it just looks like that plate is in the way. I will look at it more carefully with that in mind. Does anyone know where replacing point is discussed in the factory service manual? Thanks for the help Wells
Old 08-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Missileman
Instructor

If you remove the cap and rotor and you cannot see the points and condenser, then you have an RFI shield installed. I believe 74 was the last year to install them (HEI in 75). The RFI shields are rare now because most threw them away at the first tune-up.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:56 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wellsw
OK, that post from Mark answers my question. I do not need to or cannot remove that plate? It is part of the distrubutor shaft? I guess from the side it just looks like that plate is in the way. I will look at it more carefully with that in mind. Does anyone know where replacing point is discussed in the factory service manual? Thanks for the help Wells
Just a guess, but I usally find it under the Maintenance section near the front, then it refers you all over the book.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Missileman
If you remove the cap and rotor and you cannot see the points and condenser, then you have an RFI shield installed. I believe 74 was the last year to install them (HEI in 75). The RFI shields are rare now because most threw them away at the first tune-up.
Unfortunately I don't know what holds it there.

BTW, you wouldn't be referring to the advance weights would you? They are bananna shaped with springs holding them together. Joe

Last edited by joe73vette; 08-12-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To tune up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tune up