C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Is The Battery Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:47 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default It Is The Battery Again

I screw the cut-off **** all the way out and set it on the carpet. Go back two weeks later and battery is dead.

Been going through batteries kinda fast; three in two years. What to do?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait a minute...do you have any other leads on the battery, like a small lead going to a stereo? how about a clock? Is there conductive grease & dirt on the battery that could conduct small amounts of current to flow?

If the battery is truly isolated electrically, then you've been getting sub-par batteries. Another factor that could kill the battery is not using it regularly...you might try a trickle charger (small ones are about $30, but they can save the more expensive battery).
Old 08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be an alternator related problem.

I would start there and also test the battery by removing and charging it, then let it sit for 2 weeks. The voltage reading at that ppoint would tell you for sure if the battery is bad or is simply not being charged when in the car.

As far as non regular use, mine will sit for 2 to 3 weeks and I do not use a cut off. With the entire original electrical wiring in place I have yet to have a battery issue over the 2 years. That short a "sit" should have little to no affect on battery life.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:54 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried using the screw-**** type battery disconnect switch and no matter how much you un-screw the **** it is not always guaranteed
to disconnect. I suggest you go with the on/off lever type disconnect.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:38 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OH, need take a ampmeter/current meter in series with the lead to find out what's going on, no other way....

GENE
Old 08-13-2004, 07:04 AM
BatManFire
Instructor

I own a shop that rebuilds alternators, starters and we sell batteries. We were one of the last businesses to actually rebuild batteries back in the early 60's. My family started it back in the late 20's.

If the battery is unhooked and full charged at the time you say you stopped using it then you must be getting cheap batteries. A battery will run itself down just setting there but it takes a long long time. Oh never let a battery set that long and then expect your alt to recharge it without taking the risk of smoking it. AN ALT IS NOT A BATTERY CHARGER! Let a battery charger do the hard work. The alt is a battery maintainer if you stress it your asking for trouble and will make me money.

We sell all our battery stock in less than 3 months but I have seen batteries set for 6-12 months and still start a car. If it runs down in less than 3 months and was not hooked to anything it could be just a shorted cell or wore out battery.

Like I said I have been around batteries and elect systems since I was about 12 yrs old. 99.9% of all batterys that actually go bad are just wore out. Wore out means the lead has fallen off the plates and went to the bottom of the battery. There is NOTHING you can do to stop this from happening NOTHING!

The rest of the batteries that go bad have one positive plate break thru and insulator and touch a neg plate. Once the insulator has a hole and one of the plates in ONE cell touch you lose that cell and it will ruin the whole battery.

I have heard people say wow I had 3 dead cells in a battery when it went bad. Thats like finding a needle in a hay stack. I have maybe seen 2-3 batterys in my whole life that have ever had more than one dead cell it just doesn't happen hardly at all.

I'd say get a new battery from someone you can trust. Have your car checked by someone who has a clue on what actually is going on and you should be alright.

Its hard to really tell anything without seeing it and testing it but if you get voltage readings while car is off and while running plus a reading of the batteries gravity I'd be more than happy to try to help you out more.

Last edited by BatManFire; 08-13-2004 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Nifty 71
Burning Brakes

I was having a similar problem and solved it by removing the cut off switch. After removing the switch it fell apart - I plan on getting a new one, but for now the (new optima) battery is holding a charge.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:31 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I appreciate all the excellent comments. Going to work on it after Charley leaves town.

Last edited by OHSIXX; 08-13-2004 at 10:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To It Is The Battery Again

Quick Reply: It Is The Battery Again