C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end & suspension advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front end & suspension advice please

I'm planning on rebuilding my front end with a polyeurethane kit this winter. I figure, while I'm at it, I might as well replace the 24 year old springs and add new shocks. And while I'm at that I might as well upgrade the rear to match. I've been checking out some different suspension packages offered by various vendors to see what is included and prices.

I'm curious as to what suspension packages people have been happy with. I am also trying to guage the relationship between spring rates and ride quality. I'm after a sporty driver, not a race car. My problem is that I can never just rebuild, I have to upgrade somehow, so I'm looking for something better than the base '80 suspension.

My other concern is, with the purchase of a front end rebuild kit and a suspension upgrade kit, how many parts will I have double of? I'm concerned with purchasing parts twice and spending money that doesn't need to be spent. My goal is to keep this project in the $700 range, which I think is possible.

Thanks guys
Old 08-12-2004, 12:46 AM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently finished putting on the VBP Street and Slalom kit. Seems to be a popular choice for C3s. My vette is a 77 and the stock suspension was beat. I bought a front end kit with polyurethane bushings as well. The only part I had double of was the front sway bar end links. It cost more than $700, but its a quality suspension and really out performs the stock suspension. The coil springs are 550lbs and the rear spring is a 360lb composite. My old suspension was so beat that even with the stiffer springs the car is much smoother now. A lot less noise when I go over bumps too.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:57 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make your own kit and you will save quite a few dollars.

VBP Poly bushing kit $269 http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=461
4 Shocks $200 (plus or minus depending on brand)
2 front springs from your local auto parts dealer (Moog) $36
Rear Steel spring $120 (yes they work good)
Rear sway bar end links $30
Front sway bar end links $30 (local parts store Energy Suspension or similar)
Rear spring bolt and bushings $35
Misc NEW nuts and bolts $10

Total $730 Result Priceless for a great ride!!

Goog Luck and this is a great project because you will really feel the difference
Old 08-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

I suppose I could piece something together, but I really wanted to stick to kits just to make it easier. Also, I have to trailer the car to my in-laws house 180 miles away to do the work. He has a large garage that we will use for the duration of the winter.

How harsh of a ride is the VBP street and slalom kit? Would you change anything about it or do you like it just the way it is?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about the Street and slalom kit but you will be double your budget price once you add in the bushing kit. That is unless you need the front and rear sway bars.

I just installed the previously mentioned parts and my car handles like its on rails. Closest thing was when I test drove a Boxster.

Order the parts all at once and have them delivered to where you will work on it.

The only difference is price and several boxes instead of one.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
DropTopBigBlock
Pro

$700 may be a little low if you want to go whole hog. so far, i've done the poly conversion up front, Bilsteins all around, 550 lb front springs, 360 composite rear, VBandP poly strut rods, and am about to do the rest of the rear in poly, add upgrade sway bars. even 2/3 of the way done, i couldn't be happier--almost no body roll, sticks great. but once you've done the major stuff (springs, shocks, etc.) you have to spend a whole lot more money on the little add-ons to squeeze the rest of the potential out of your car.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:00 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

I don't think the ride is harsh at all with the VBP street and slalom kit. Feels great and the car rides so much better than it ever has. And if you do think that maybe you'd want a softer ride, they have a Grand Touring Plus system with 460 lb/in coils and a 330 lb/in composite rear spring.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

I've just started looking, but I'm kind of thinking of something along these lines:

VB&P Grand Touring System

And the poly Front end rebuild kit from Van Steel for $180. Which raises another question, If I switch my car over to Poly, what else do I need to change?

I do plan on changing the body mounts at the same time as all of this, but that kit is $50.

$700 isn't the absolute limit, but if I can keep it in that ballpark, I can add a new cam to the list of winter projects.

Get notified of new replies

To Front end & suspension advice please

Quick Reply: Front end & suspension advice please