C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper transmission cooler plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 06:48 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Proper transmission cooler plumbing

What is the best way: before or after the rad cooler? Some say after the rad cooler will over cool the fluid, but I do not drive the car in the winter, so does that still apply? It would be easier for me to plumb it after the rad cooler, assuming that the top transmission line and the top rad line are the return line.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:21 AM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have a cooler in the radiator, I use a separate cooler and made new hardlines (PITA). As far as overcooling, my converter thinks it is a thermo-nuclear reactor so too cool is never an issues!

If your using a stock setup and converter, why even run an extra cooler?

Old 09-03-2004, 05:46 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sick it in the line from the tranny to the rad cooler. That way the hot transmission fluid will be cooled by the new cooler & then pass into the rad where it'll be cooled some more, or warmed up by the engine coolant, when the trany is still cold after start-up. It'll also safeguard against over cooling the fluid.
If you do this, could you post the results ie. does the coolant temp drop overall???? Mine did, it rarely gets much above the stat rating now, whereas it used to regularly be well above 200. The cooling system is in good condition, new rad, pump, hoses, stat, intake. When I tell people that the tranny cooler has also helped reduce my coolant temps they look at me like I'm crazy. They're probably right, but not in this case! I reckon that the tranny cooler stops hot fluid from entering the rad & preventing the coolant from cooling enough, but I'd be interested if anybody else finds the same thing.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:30 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I am running a new 406 with a built TH-400. I also have a Be Cool rad and Spal fan. I have a 2500 stall converter. My coolant temp never goes over over 200 regardless of the situation, so wether or not the tranny fluid is warming up the rad fluid...I don't know. I have installed the tranny cooler, and have run hard lines around the rad to the area where the lines are now, and it would be so much easier to plumb the cooler after the rad cooler...........is it really that big of a deal? The instructions included with the cooler specifically state to put it after the rad cooler, but I keep hearing about over cooling the fluid installing it that way!Aaarrggghhh!
Old 09-04-2004, 04:24 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Any other opinions?
Old 09-04-2004, 05:06 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Any other opinions?
I have mine directly from the trans to the cooler and back. Been that way for 5 years without issue. I drive my car year 'round.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:10 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I have decided to just plumb the cooler after the rad cooler, it is just easier that way. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:11 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The coolant in the rad is going to be at a lower temp than the coolant in the heads/manifold (where the temp sensor is) so is likely to be quite close to the ideal of 150* the tranny requires. On a cold mornings start-up the engine coolant will help to warm up the trans fluid after it's passed through the trans cooler. When it's all warmed up then the trans cooler should drop the initial temp of the fluid & the rad coolant will then drop it some more (or warm it up if too low). That's why I put the trans cooler before the rad cooler as the instructions with my cooler stated. The best thing to do, however you plumb it in, would be to fit a temp sensor in the pan & a guage under the dash. Then we could find ut between us the best method (or if it makes any difference at all in how it's done!).

Get notified of new replies

To Proper transmission cooler plumbing

Quick Reply: Proper transmission cooler plumbing