C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some insight...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 PM
gade202
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some insight...

Hello everyone!

I've spent the past few days reading on these forums and finally signed up today. Here is my situation:

I am 19 years old and live in NJ. I run my own business out of the house and am looking to purchase a 1977-1981 Corvette by June 05. At that point, I would have around $10,000 to spend and it would be used as a weekend/fun car. I would estimate roughly 80 miles put on a week. I'm in no way a car expert and am looking on some advice as to what I should look for in a Corvette from those years. I am 99% sure I am going purchase an automatic, if that helps.

The questions I have are:

How long does the engine last roughly (in miles)? How much does a rebuild cost?

How long does the tranny last roughly (again, in miles)? How much does a rebuild cost?

Any ideas on how much insurance would be for that sort of car in NJ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:59 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Rule # 1: Be patient with $$$ burning a hole in your pocket. I desperately wanted a conv. vette with auto/air. I searched until I found a decent one and purchased it right away. Only problem is the color - doodoo brown. I really wanted triple silver. One week after purcahse, I found a triple silver conv. auto/air for a few $$$ more, in better condition, with lower mileage and a desperate seller.

Be patient!

SBC's will run forever if maintained properly.

Cost of rebuilds run the gamut from under $1k to "no limit".

Vette insurance for a 19 y/o living in NJ? I wouldn't even want to imagine the cost. Purchasing a yacht is probably less expensive. However, the only way to find out is obtain a quote BEFORE your purchase. I believe the collector-car company's will only insure you above 24/25 yrs. of age. Might have to put the car in mom/dad's name to obtain affordable insurance.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 10-01-2004, 12:02 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Buy the best condition vette you can afford. I bought the first one I saw because I bought on a whim, I was actually looking for a bike. Since then I found I prolly paid about 1500 to much. And have dumped about 10k into since then. Car not on the road yet.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:23 AM
JJEXP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insurance isn't really a big deal. Im 19, and I pay 200 a month for my vette (78), my camaro (v6) and my iroc-z (L98). If it's available to you, go for usaa.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:48 AM
gade202
Intermediate

Thanks for the help! I think it will most likely go under my mom's name.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:30 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JJEXP
Insurance isn't really a big deal. Im 19, and I pay 200 a month for my vette (78), my camaro (v6) and my iroc-z (L98). If it's available to you, go for usaa.
Not bad, but NJ is one of the (if not the) most expensive state for car insurance. I'd assume that rural PA is definitely less expensive.

Do you have full coverage (theft, collison, medical, un-insured driver's, etc.) on all those vehicles for $200/mo?

I pay $1200/yr. for full coverage on a '97 Astro Van and, if the Vette was not insured thru Hagerty's, I'd be paying about $2000/yr. for the same. 42 y/o male, no tickets, no accidents, no other driver's.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some insight...

Quick Reply: Looking for some insight...