C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my sidepipes today....have ???? re: installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 03:07 AM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my sidepipes today....have ???? re: installation

......I'm pretty juiced about this !!!!!!! Getting big packages delivered by a courier is exciting stuff.......the pipes look cool and easy to install, but I have some pre-install questions (BTW, these are factory reproduction pipes with fibreglass covers):

1. Is it OK to use the rocker moulding screws to fix the cover???????

2. This bracket is for supporting the cover along the middle......where the heck does it go and which end is attached to the cover??????

3. Doesn't look like the pipes are going to clear.......How much cutting is required near the front fender and how much clearance is needed around the pipe???????

Please post pics of where the front of the cover meets the fender.......
Old 11-17-2004, 07:47 AM
pferrall
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default got mine 2

I got mine about 2 weeks ago, went big time with the chrome covers, and can't wait to get them on. I've been busy at work, so maybe I can get to them over thanksgiving. I hope there is no cutting, I cringe when I have to do that on my baby. You are in the same boat as me, no instructions, but should be able to figure it out!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:53 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

1. No, I used some different black headed screws from Lowes. For some reason, the holes on the covers wouldn't line up with the holes for the rocker panels...you might have to drill all new holes. I've heard of just about everyone who has them has to do it.

2. The end with the 2 holes goes on the bottom lip of the cover towards the exhaust opening and the solid end screws onto the frame. At least thats how they are with the aluminum covers. I couldn't use mine because of the exhaust mufflers hanging to low, but with the screws and the front brace, its held up pretty good. I might try and fabricate some other type of bracket for the back later on.

3. It should clear pretty good...i only had to cut a 2" square chunk out of the rocker towards the front wheel, but that was only for clearance of the cover.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Redshark6974
1. No, I used some different black headed screws from Lowes. For some reason, the holes on the covers wouldn't line up with the holes for the rocker panels...you might have to drill all new holes. I've heard of just about everyone who has them has to do it.

I got the cover mounting kit from Paregon and still needed longer bolts to fasten the covers to the car. I got SS bolts & washers from Sears Hardware

Also agree with #2 & #3.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:01 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Make sure you get earplugs for when you go driving.... Ghastly loud is an understatement.....
Old 11-18-2004, 12:39 AM
standup
Drifting

1. ......you might have to drill all new holes......

3. It should clear pretty good...i only had to cut a 2" square chunk out of the rocker towards the front wheel, but that was only for clearance of the cover.

Thanks Redshark6974 & Jughead

RE: #1 I'm only posting this for an FYI......but the fibreglass covers are NOT pre-drilled.........(pre warning for anybody in the future).......

RE: #3 .............this is what is going to jack me (slow me down on the day).......'cause I know the cover isn't going to fit without cutting......plus my '71 has the stock flared fenders.......so I guess what I'm asking is: Where exactly do I have to cut? Pics please if you have them.........
Old 11-18-2004, 12:44 AM
standup
Drifting

Originally Posted by VettePower
Make sure you get earplugs for when you go driving.... Ghastly loud is an understatement.....

............that's not a concern, 'cause I'm deaf anyway......back in the late 70's I got a nasty ear infection........the doctors said it was caused by Led Zeppelin.....
Old 11-18-2004, 07:44 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by standup
Thanks Redshark6974 & Jughead

RE: #1 I'm only posting this for an FYI......but the fibreglass covers are NOT pre-drilled.........(pre warning for anybody in the future).......

RE: #3 .............this is what is going to jack me (slow me down on the day).......'cause I know the cover isn't going to fit without cutting......plus my '71 has the stock flared fenders.......so I guess what I'm asking is: Where exactly do I have to cut? Pics please if you have them.........
i don't have any pics..but you won't have to cut any part of the flare, just the flat piece below the flare where your original rocker moldings screwed into. Its not bad, and if you ever want to go back to original, you can still hide it.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

i don't have any pics..but you won't have to cut any part of the flare, just the flat piece below the flare where your original rocker moldings screwed into. Its not bad, and if you ever want to go back to original, you can still hide it.
It's only about 1.5" or so. Depends on your Vette. Line the covers up on the rocker and determine where the front bend of the cover is hitting the lower body/rocker. Won't matter that you cut because if you go back to regular rockers, the cover will still hide the cut.

I missed the part above where you said you have the fiberglas covers without the holes. If that's the case you might be able to align the old rocker cover & the new fiberglass covers to position the holes. I have original's and had to drill all new holes.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:12 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I just bought some Hooker sidepipes, are you telling me I have to cut into the body of the car to make them fit, if so they are going back
Old 11-18-2004, 08:25 AM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I just bought some Hooker sidepipes, are you telling me I have to cut into the body of the car to make them fit, if so they are going back
The last set of hookers I saw installed came fairly close to the rocker panel cover, but if you have polly motor mounts I don't see this as a problem. If you do have a problem I'll be glad to trade my headers with you (they are custom and sit about 1.5" lower then hooker)
I'll be taking mine off anyways this winter to clean up and repaint.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I think most of the Hooker sidemount owners had to trim the rocker covers but not the underbody.

Red73 posted a good template for this a while ago. Might try a search.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:14 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

I don't mind trimming the rocker panel, not the body though. I also have heads that have a .3" raised exhaust port, it is really only a 1/4 of an inch higher than stock location I hope that dosen't muck things up
Old 11-18-2004, 10:18 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Motorhead, Hookers are going to look awesome on your car! did you go with black or chrome?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I don't mind trimming the rocker panel, not the body though. I also have heads that have a .3" raised exhaust port, it is really only a 1/4 of an inch higher than stock location I hope that dosen't muck things up

Wish you luck with that raised head and the Hookers. I know Canfield heads with raised ports cause Steve Straus major headaches.

don't forget the pictures.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had to do a little trimming on each side. The holes just behind the front wheels did not line up on my car.

I remember it took a while to figure out that install kit.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

I am getting the black ones and if I like them on the car I might have them ceramic coated black too, hope I don't have nay headaches.

I probabaly won't be installing them till the spring, the main reason for buying them was so my motor would breathe better as they are the only ones with 1 7/8'" primaries I can find that will fit a C3

Get notified of new replies

To Got my sidepipes today....have ???? re: installation

Quick Reply: Got my sidepipes today....have ???? re: installation