C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 lap belt question

Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 PM
majic1984
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 lap belt question

How exactly do the lap belts on a '71 - more specifically the side opposite the buckle, bolt on? Does the connector lie flat or upright?

Last edited by majic1984; 11-15-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:18 AM
majic1984
Burning Brakes

bump for answer
Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The outboard belt, correct? Assuming it's the same as '68, it bolts to the floor under the seat, about 12" inboard from the door sill. The webbing is then routed under a steel guide plate that is bolted in three or four places to the rear bulkhead, door sill, and floor. The guidplate directs the belt upwards. The belt then exits through a slit in the carpet.

Last edited by CGGorman; 11-16-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Missileman
Instructor

Not sure what you mean by connector? The buckle side (inboard) has a plastic sheath and bolts directly to the welded nut plate on the transmission tunnel. The belt (outboard) bolts directly to the welded nut plate down on the side of the seat (not underneath as in later models). There is no retractor. The excess belt rests in a chrome clip on the front of the seat.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:11 PM
majic1984
Burning Brakes

I guess this is what I should be asking. I was told that later year corvette retractors will not work in a 71 because there is not enough space on the side of the seat, and the bolting is different. Is there any way that these might be used: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting ? I already have the buckles from a 72 corvette and just need some sort of retractor - I REALLY don't want to go with the late model F-body belts because, in my oppinion, they are ugly.

Thanks for all your replies,
Michael
Old 11-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Missileman
Instructor

If all you are looking for is a device to retract excess seat belt, there are aftermarket devices that will do it (ex. all 60's Mopars had belt retractors that clipped onto the belt. They sell for about $12)
Old 11-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Budizzo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by majic1984
I guess this is what I should be asking. I was told that later year corvette retractors will not work in a 71 because there is not enough space on the side of the seat, and the bolting is different. Is there any way that these might be used: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting ? I already have the buckles from a 72 corvette and just need some sort of retractor - I REALLY don't want to go with the late model F-body belts because, in my oppinion, they are ugly.

Thanks for all your replies,
Michael

I have a 1970, and IIRC, the belts are the same. I was going to try what you are describing and even went so far as to get some aftermarket replacement retractors from Andover and 1972 buckles and latches from ebay to do the retrofit. The problem is that the 1970 (and I'm assuming the 1971) lap belt anchor bolts to the boddy right by the door with no retractor. In 1972, a retractor was used, but installed under the seat (my 1970 bady has no mount for this). I considered mounting the retractor on the original anchor by the door, but there is not enough room between the body and the seat. The retractor would have damaged the seat if I had mounted it there.

Reluctantly, I went with the F-body belts, but in the end I decided a good set of unoriginal seatbelts were better than the rotten originals in my car.

Here are some pictures.

Jammed latch on passenger side

Buckles that had been brazed back together.

Lots of rust and pitting on buckles
Old 11-16-2004, 06:20 PM
majic1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Budizzo
I considered mounting the retractor on the original anchor by the door, but there is not enough room between the body and the seat. The retractor would have damaged the seat if I had mounted it there.
What kind of retractors did you try to use? Also, if you look at those retractors, maybe they are thin enough - especially at the bottom, to fit in between the door and seat...

Do you know how much space is in between the seat and door when the door is closed?

Last edited by majic1984; 11-16-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Budizzo
Intermediate

I tried these retractors made by Andover (CR2)

The ones in you picture look they will fit, but they may stick above the seat and be a hazard getting in and out of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 lap belt question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 71 lap belt question