C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Is Slow And Weak

Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
From my experience, when a regulator spring is broken, the window goes up slowly and goes down very quickly - because it is not rewinding the spring as it goes down.
This is exactly what is happening with my pass side window. I removed the panel and sprayed some white lithium grease on the tracks/rollers but she doesn't make it up with out help.

Goes down like a rocket though.... I'll look for this spring.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry B.
I Have fixed a few slow windows. The biggest problem I found is the big spring on the back of the regulator was rusty and bound up. I have never seen a broken one but I see how that could happen with an old binding spring. Cleaning and lubing the spring along with all the tracks really help.
I had one break.it was on the passenger side .but had to repair gear on drivers side.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 PM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having this same problem - Slow window seems to be struggling to go up & down.

I have the door panel off and I'm staring at it like "Where do I even start" ?
Everything is covered other than the electric motor that I revealed when I removed the small panel at the bottom...

Frustrating
Old 05-29-2017, 03:00 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Something else I need to do☺
Old 05-29-2017, 07:16 PM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well after deciding that the last thing I wanted to do is tear the window mechanism apart, grease and reinstall, I used the spray Lithium grease on all the tracks while they remained in place ~

The window now works much better (Not perfect) but much better...
Old 02-18-2024, 09:49 AM
Ted.T
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window slow

I have the same issue with both windows on my 1975.I have had no luck with taking out regulators in previous cars,sounds like a nightmare.I know you need patience which I am short on.lol
Old 02-18-2024, 11:56 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

I too like to check off the simple fixes before spending the big bucks. With two slow windows on our 1968 C3 convertible I knew I had my work cut out for me. After I pulled the covers on the drivers door and watched my power window in action. It became obvious that the factory grease that was providing resistance when the window was going up. Using a Hot Air Gun you can heat up the window's moving parts like the Tracks, Rollers or wherever there is old grease. I had to heat the drivers side two times to get all of the old grease off the parts. After the parts and grease are warmed up then you get a thick rag and wipe off the old grease.
My drivers door also had something loose and you could hear the motor so I went to Corvettes@Carlisle and bought complete rebuild kits for both of my windows.

Without grease the windows were a bit noisier and smoother. I used a very light spray of white lithium and then it got marginally faster. In very sandy, dusty parts of the world then it makes sense to not use something that attracts of sticks to dust or dirt. The drivers door was the most messed up on my c3 as had an excess of old hard grease stuck on the moving parts and on the tracks.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:41 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I doused mine with WD-40 and let it sit overnight, then the next morning used a rag doused with WD to wipe off all the old grease. It's not a very easy job but Just go through it methodically and you'll have success.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:28 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 536 Posts

Guys, it's a 7 yr old thread.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:27 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted.T
I have the same issue with both windows on my 1975.I have had no luck with taking out regulators in previous cars,sounds like a nightmare.I know you need patience which I am short on.lol
You are responding to a 7 year old post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Window Is Slow And Weak