C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Autosound Soundbar Instalation

Old 12-25-2004, 10:50 PM
MPSJM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Autosound Soundbar Instalation

We just received a soundbar manufactured by Custom Autosound for our 69 Corvette coupe. In the 69 there is the floor in back and then a raised area behind the wheel well. The soundbar will need to go above the raised portion behind the wheel well. When we try and place it in this location there is not enough space between the floor and the bracket for the rear window tray. Has anyone installed one of these and do you have any pictures or recomendations on how to fit this in?
Old 12-26-2004, 04:25 PM
MPSJM
Instructor

ttt
Old 12-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

People may not be familiar with the product. Here is one in my 1967 for their reference and consideration of advice. I have never owned a 1969 and thus cannot advise you directly as to how it should fit.

Old 12-26-2004, 06:51 PM
MPSJM
Instructor

Paul
Thanks for th picture. You have it up on the side humps like I think it should go but on the 69 the rear window tray brackets are attched to the back wall and appear to be to low for the soundbar to fit under them.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Paul67,
I also have one of these soundars but have not yet installed it in my 68 coupe.
Do you know anything about the speakers in the soundbar such as how many Ohms they are how many watts they can take? Mine came with no literature of any kind.
Will the stock radio power this thing or do I need an additional amp of some kind. I know nothing about this stuff and since my interior is gutted for restoration, I thought now would be a good time to learn.
Thanks for any help or input,
Kurt Bunting
kbunting@verizon.net
Old 12-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

I wish you luck. I had that setup on my old 77 and considered it's sound inferior......very tinny. Gave it away to a friend. I have a custom box with 2 BA 3-way 6x9 and 8 in the back quite the difference.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Razorhorn
Pro

I thought very seriously about a similar product when I upgraded the sound system in my 75, though the product I looked at did not come with pre-installed speakers. I expect the speakers can be easily changed out if the quality is not there. I spent my college evenings selling and installing car stereos, and am partial enough to Alpine I refuse to buy anything else. I ended up getting 6x9 boxes off Ebay that fit snugly between the wheel wells and the rear window fiberglass lip, which is where it sounds like the problem is. This also solved the problem of the interior light that is mounted right in the center back in my model...and possibly the 68 too.

I can only think of two reasons off the top of my head why yours' is not fitting well. Either it's a defective product that does not live up to its claim, or perhaps your insulation / carpeting combo is too thick to get the box ends into the wheel well caverns.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:49 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same box.
Changed the speakers and added Polk speakers.
I never take out the back window so I took out the window tray to make the box fit better.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:57 AM
caminoman
1st Gear

Default custom autosound soundbar wiring pic/diagram

Does anybody have the ability to take pics of how this soundbar is wired? Mine is dismantled and is alot more difficult to rewire than I originally anticipated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx
Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 PM
Corvette Heed
1st Gear

I have the Custom Autosound Slidebar Radio. If you call their tech line at 1-800-497-0797 they should be able to answer your questions.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Autosound Soundbar Instalation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Autosound Soundbar Instalation