C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag race oil pan for big block

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 05:53 PM
red79vette454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag race oil pan for big block

I need a good oil pan for a high horse power gen IV big block. I know there are lots of big block oil pans out there but I'm not sure which ones will fit C3 Corvette. I already have the LS-6 pan with the baffle and windage tray but I feel that the 5 Qt capacity is unsufficient for 7,000 plus RPM. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:14 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

6 Qt road race pan...has the baffles and is a low profile...you won't rip the pan if you bottom out....
Old 01-22-2005, 07:10 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a 7qt Moroso on my small block, I am sure they make one for a big block.

Let me know when you swap out that Demon carb, it would be good match on my motor. How does that cam behave on the street ?
Old 01-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Don't know what a drag race pan is but here's the Moroso Street & Strip, #20403, 6Qt, 8in deep I'm using.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:10 AM
red79vette454
Racer

Are you using a Canton road race pan?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:16 AM
red79vette454
Racer

Thanks Jughead. That is one that I was considering with the built in crank scraper and windage tray. Any fitment problems or mods to steering or crossmember with that one?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:17 AM
red79vette454
Racer

Originally Posted by GDaina
6 Qt road race pan...has the baffles and is a low profile...you won't rip the pan if you bottom out....
Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by red79vette454
Thanks Jughead. That is one that I was considering with the built in crank scraper and windage tray. Any fitment problems or mods to steering or crossmember with that one?

No fitment problems. I did have to tap the dipstick inlet and use Moroso's dipstick.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:28 AM
red79vette454
Racer

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I have a 7qt Moroso on my small block, I am sure they make one for a big block.

Let me know when you swap out that Demon carb, it would be good match on my motor. How does that cam behave on the street ?
Motorhead, I Love my Demon RS. With the new motor I will probably put in the 975cfm sleeves. That cam is pretty tame, and has enough vacuum for brakes and headlight doors. The next one will probably be around 305-310 in duration and 725 -750 lift. Won't need vacuum any more because we are changing to hydroboost and headlight doors open with less than 7.5 inches of vacuum.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by red79vette454
No Morose....Was using the 6 Q deep pan, got tired bottoming out and bending the bottom of the pan...changed to the road racing pan, no more problems
Old 01-23-2005, 05:02 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I chased some oil starvation issues for awhile on my 540. I was using the same Moroso kick out pan I had used for years on my 427 with no issues. But the added stroke seemed to create issues. Tried lots of things, finally switched pans.

I did lots of research into what was working for folks who were actually racing. I actually went to Reher Morrison and looked at their basic wet sump pan. It is built for them by Moroso with a couple of simple mods inside to keep oil around pickup. They spent a lot of time developing it on the dyno and at track and they swear by it for all their wet sump systems. R/M are known for their insistence on reliabilty over max hp. While they say they have proven their pan puts out more power than some others, they are convinced that the oil pan is NOT the place to look for another 3 hp. it MUST keep oil pickup covered. Anyway, when all was said and done, it is slightly too deep in front to clear our steering linkage. You could raise motor slightly, drop linkage (maybe only 1/4-3/8" or so), but either way it's tight.

Since it's based on a Moroso race pan, that eliminates many of their best ones too.

I know of a a 540 here with a Hamburger pan, but it had to be modified to fit too in the forward sump area.

What I did find was the Milodon Pro Competition Stepped Sump pan will fit, but just barely. The part number is 31187, but it does not have a dipstick hole. You must specify you want one and they will add it ( I think # is 31188, but I can't remember) for $50 more. I got it at Jegs I think.

Lots of race guys I know call it the "15 hp pan". In back to back testing they swear it literally will beat just about any wet sump pan on the dyno.

What is neat about it is that the sump is "stepped smaller" at the bottom of it instead of kicked out like most pans. Makes perfect sense when you think about it. "IF" there is not a lot of oil in the pan, it is best to have thelower area of the sump smaller instead of larger to keep oil level over pickup better. When I put 4 qts in my Moroso, I found it was like 2-5/8" deep. When I put same amount in Milodon, it's like 3-3/8" deep, Not much, but when you're only talking about less than 3", 3/4" is a lot!

It also has a full length kickout area on right side to give oil an escape path from crank. It includes a full length windage tray that is Dzuz fastened inside.

It's a little deeper than the Moroso was. On my Mcleod scattershield, the Moroso was just a hair above the bottom. The Milodon is just a hair below it. But so far I haven't smacked it on anything. My headers are lower than it is.

To make it fit, you will likely need a mini starter than can be "clocked" in different positions. It will just barely clear the steering linkage (non power). On my car I slightly rounded the top of the "bumps" on the center link where the bolts go through to attach a P/S ram. I also put two small dimples in it. When at full lock right and left, those "bumps" on the link would just barely contact the pan. Two strategically placed dimples with a ballpeen took care of it. No big deal, but I'm paranoid of stuff touching my steering!

Anyway, immediately all my oil pressure issues at high rpm have vanished. I've made lots of hard passes and have even pulled pan a couple of times since installation to make sure and all looks perfect. I'll swear by the Milodon race pan, whereas I don't think I could vouch for their street pans.

JIM
Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 AM
red79vette454
Racer

Jim,

I appreciate your candor on the oil pan issue. You are truly the one that I consider to be the foremost authority on the hi-perf big block corvette. I try to learn from all of your posts as they are always very informative. Canton Racing Products has a very nice stepped pan for crossmembered cars that they say should fit C-2 and C-3 Corvette. The part # is 13-344. I think that I will try this one out but if it doesn't fit i will use the Milodon Pan. For your future information I will let you know how good it is and how it fits when it comes.
Thank you, Daryl
Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 PM
RAT502
Instructor

Jughead, how much clearance do you have between the ground and pan? I also have this pan but have yet to install the motor.Just wondering...
Old 01-27-2005, 04:22 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RAT502
Jughead, how much clearance do you have between the ground and pan? I also have this pan but have yet to install the motor.Just wondering...

I've got 4" to the pan but I dropped my front end about 1". Lowest point on the front is the side exhaust, right behind the front wheel.....3.5" there.

anyone have a picture of the Moroso road race pan?? Or a part number?

Get notified of new replies

To Drag race oil pan for big block

Quick Reply: Drag race oil pan for big block