Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1970 LT-1 Resto-Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey J,

Hope all is well, and glad to know you're still out there and interested.
I cannot believe the knuckleheads out there posing like they want a car, but then when they REALLY look at what the car features they change their minds, both "buyers" making the excuse "it's just way more car than I thought". WTF? Are they trying to say I didn't make it abundantly clear what the car is?

Best of luck with your sale!

BW
Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

I thought I'd try something new and put together a site that encompasses all the Q&A found in this thread as well as the new pix and vid I've taken, so here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.synergyerotic.com/1970_LT...ette_Sale.html

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice '71 LT1! Mine isn't a trailer queen either. It's a driver and peformer. I've been thinking about doing some resto mods / newer technolgy mods like some of yours, but I think I'm going to stay "old school". Good luck with your sale!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

Thanks for the encouragement, I can use it! Hopefully the web page will help do the trick.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Still interested here too. Interview Wednesday went great, just have to wait for the offer now. If I get the chance at it, I promise not to wuss out. If it kills me, it kills me Good luck in the meantime.

-Chris
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

Bump
Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

Bump
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

I'm still here, still waiting. A Long Island-based offer due tomorrow. I actually just had two phone interviews with a pretty exciting car company in Palo Alto and will be coming out sometime in the coming days, hopefully this week. I think they're going to give me some extra time to see the area so when I know the details I will get in touch and hopefully I'll be able to come take a closer look. I wouldn't expect to drive it of course but certainly wouldn't turn down the offer! The Bay Area looks like an incredible place to live, especially after being stuck in rural, southern hell for six months!

-Chris
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

Hey Chris,

It sounds like the job hunt is going well, something rare this past year or so, so I wish you luck.

Do me a favor and shoot me an email at carnalsupply@sbcglobal.net so we can open a dialogue that way: I travel quite a bit for business and it's MUCH easier for me to stay in touch via email rather than the forum.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

Sold!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 PM
jhong321
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnalsupply
Sold!
Congrats Bob! I was just thinking about your car
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

As it pulled away on the trailer (headed for NY) I actually thought about you as well: you would have really enjoyed it, as I know the new owner will.
Hope you find something good,

BW
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM
jhong321
Safety Car

As it pulled away on the trailer (headed for NY) I actually thought about you as well: you would have really enjoyed it, as I know the new owner will.
Hope you find something good,

BW
I picked up a 1970 camaro rs
Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Carnalsupply
Instructor

Sweet! My sister had one and it was an awesome platform. I probably should have picked up one of them instead considering the direction I took the Vette.
If you're interested, I still have the Hilborns available: they didn't go with the car.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
jhong321
Safety Car

Sweet! My sister had one and it was an awesome platform. I probably should have picked up one of them instead considering the direction I took the Vette.
If you're interested, I still have the Hilborns available: they didn't go with the car.
thats ok. I ordered a 468 bb to put in the car
Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

I love a story with a happy ending. I wouldn't wish all of those failed sales on Bob but it worked out great for me! Bob was great to work with, very diligent about making sure everything was right with the car and that there were no misunderstandings. Even the clock keeps time, and the electric headlight actuators are a dream after years of vacuum troubles with the '77. (I've had the '77 since '02 and a member here since then, made it to Cruise In 4 (or was it 5?) and a Lars Tuning4Beer in Herndon, VA. Put 50k miles on it in 4 years but not it's partially disassembled and might be getting sold now.)

I took delivery last night, drove in to work today, and will be driving 4hrs to MA for a family gathering tonight. Until now it hasn't been driven at cruise long enough to get a best-mpg figure so that will be interesting to see. It's about 2400rpm @ 70mph with the 4.11's and 0.64OD. It's impressively docile around town (though it certainly doesn't sound docile) considering what happens when you go WOT! Many (I even feel confident saying "most") highly modified cars never quite work right (remember Merlin on this forum?) but this car's parts are well-suited to eachother and Bob had it just long enough to get it tuned in well. I'll be taking it to a dyno to get numbers (and maybe again later to fully optimize the tune and maybe even see about getting a secondary "best mpg tune" if such a thing exists), then drag strip, autocrossing, and eventually the local road courses.

Apparently there were many potential buyers who wanted to take it back to stock, which wouldn't be hard at all. I think that would be a travesty.

My plans for its future:
  • Rear shocks, and probably an upgrade to the dual-mount rear spring to make it adjustable for dual-use.
  • (Manual) rack & pinion, for that last bit of modernity.
  • Brakes, probably Wilwood's big-brake-kit, just the front to start. Currently at an excessive Go:Woh ratio.
  • The 4.11 rear is just a stock-type rebuild so I want to build something stronger and decrease to 3.55 or 3.70 ratio. According to Keisler's site with the TKO-600's first gear a 3.55 accelerates like a stock trans with 4.04 rear and a 3.73 like a 4.24. 70mph cruising would go from 2400RPM to 2100 with the 3.55. Any less would be too low to run well at all. ...though I could always drive faster...
  • Try to stuff the original hood back on, will probably require a custom aircleaner, may try to get air from over the radiator. The L88 hood looks great and the push-button "hood pins" are really cool, but I want to go for the original look and as much as I'll have it out the added security of not being able to get into the engine at the push of a button will be valuable! I will miss seeing (and hearing) the air cleaner from the driver's seat though.
  • Stock-style shifter (short throw?)
  • Original-type radio, though I'll leave the speakers (which are audible at low volume on the highway with tops off, believe it or not) and add an AUX-in for mp3s which is what I'll actually listen to while stuck in Long Island traffic.

I want to maximize the factory appearance as much as I can, though that's all for naught once I turn the key! A sleeper LT-1... how ridiculous is that! I might even see about 17" rally-style wheels for daily driving and save these (or get some better/lighter race wheels) for the track. I'll also see about a detachable tow-hitch for a mini-trailer for track tires and tools.

See you around Bob, I'll let you know if Tesla gets their act together and decides to hire me next time! Looks like they just announced a partnership with Toyota so they're looking pretty strong. I think my work here will make me very valuable to them in 3-5 years or so.

Edit: Also cast or fabricated valve covers like this: https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...do?prodId=7720
or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=390196903815

Last edited by LiveandLetDrive; 05-21-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: because I don't know when to shut up

Quick Reply: FS: 1970 LT-1 Resto-Mod