Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Stingray, $17,000?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 AM
obx2323
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crossram
17k What blows me away and always will is that a 69 ss camaro with small block will fetch 25-28k. A camaro! This market is very strange.
I totally agree with that. I have a C-2 and am looking to go to a C-3 as I can't afford the C-2 game nowadays it seems and C-3s are a bargain right now. I'll take a hit on my '65 and make it up in a couple of years on a C-3 IMO. A little more comfort and quite a difference in cash. Now if my state issued VIN tag would just come in I think I have it sold.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Frogday
It doesn't make much sense. They made ten times as many of them and they were lower on the food chain and less expensive when they were new.
Like early Mustangs we were kicking them out of the way on the roads, common as green grass, but mommy nature had other plans....RUST, they are mostly all dead, not 10% survive today, and what with the SS+ versions or the Mach 1's being killed off in wrecks...(note the insurance price increase)....same thing for Mopars too.....

A FRAME and even birdcage is easier to swap on a vette, than replace the entire unibody , panel by panel.....like I saw in my garage when buying my last house up north....the kid had that '66? stang down to nothing but a shell, his father was selling the house, so his project lost it's home.....so yes i'ts possible, and only for SOME any economic sense....

Like in that house next door up there several years later, a '65? stang, setting under a tree, rusted to pieces, literally, after 25 years.....271/289/4 speed, all Shelby Cobra Pack ex SCCA racer....I have a trophy he won from my old vette club at some event or other....

IMO, that is why they worth so much today.....

BUT like the 30's cars, all the old WW2 types are either dead, ill health, or have one, no market.....as a RESTO, museums are full of them....so...as a steel body HOTROD, plenty of demand and always will be...

Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 PM
LT1 Hunter
Racer

Default tough market

17K for the coupe in this market----------No way.. Sorry, just the way it is with the economy.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-30188.html
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-29620.html
Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 PM
joe flannery
Advanced

Originally Posted by crossram
17k What blows me away and always will is that a 69 ss camaro with small block will fetch 25-28k. A camaro! This market is very strange.

I think the reason is that baby boomers are really the ones buying these cars. They want a trunk and a backseat so they can introduce their grand kids to cruising. Also more people owned these other cars new, rather than a Corvette . They want the toys they had again.
I have noticed Corvette prices for years have been lower than Camaro and Chevelle prices. I can not get over how much more a 66 Chevelle big block goes for than say a 1972 LS -5 I had owned both when I was in my teens and early 20's . I never had a Corvette till recently. I am glad the market is that way. It made my Corvette more affordable. I was able to get a low mileage LT-1 almost 2 years ago.I really wanted an LS-5 . I let it get away by not moving fast enough. I like my LT-1 a lot. I just wish it wasn't equipped with 4.11 gears.I like cruising with less revs on the highway.It is all numbers matching. I will not be changing the gears.
I also had thought about buying an El Camino as well. They only have seating for 2 maybe 3 depending if you have buckets or a bench. A loaded big block El Camino is a bargain compared to a Chevelle or a Camaro .

Quick Reply: 1972 Stingray, $17,000?