Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 ???? Opinions Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 ???? Opinions Needed.

Found this on Ebay and actually won the auction but didn't meet the reserve. Contacted the owner and he said he would let it go for $10,000. I understand this is not going to be THAT collectors car but if I do have to sell, I would like to think I wouldn't take a beating. I want to fulfill that dream of owning and DRIVING a sharp looking chrome bumpered vette.

The car is a J series base model. Owner says it was sold to him as a matching number vette but he never checked it (which I tend to think means it isn't). For sure the valve covers are not original. The interior looks phenomenal (in the pics...) and the exterior looks good (maybe a 8 out of 10). Paint actually is pretty niceOwner will include two sets of glass, one red and the other smoke. Owner states that it runs perfectly with the exception of the AC, which by the way he says has been modified to 134. Also states the tack works intermittantly. Otherwise it runs great.

So should I take the plunge or save another 5k and get that little bit nicer car. Any input you guys could provide would be much appreciated. I am ready, but should I marry this girl or wait for a better one?

http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/Riocutt/

Last edited by Riocutt; 08-11-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

forgot to mention it is a SOUTHWEST car so no rust and only 67,000 miles. Small V8.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

Also Vette is in KINGMAN AZ. Would appreciate it immensely if someone who lives there and knows more than me would take a look. Lot to ask I know.

I am done now.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:12 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riocutt
Found this on Ebay and actually won the auction but didn't meet the reserve. Contacted the owner and he said he would let it go for $10,000. I understand this is not going to be THAT collectors car but if I do have to sell, I would like to think I wouldn't take a beating. I want to fulfill that dream of owning and DRIVING a sharp looking chrome bumpered vette.

The car is a J series base model. Owner says it was sold to him as a matching number vette but he never checked it (which I tend to think means it isn't). For sure the valve covers are not original. The interior looks phenomenal (in the pics...) and the exterior looks good (maybe a 8 out of 10). Paint actually is pretty niceOwner will include two sets of glass, one red and the other smoke. Owner states that it runs perfectly with the exception of the AC, which by the way he says has been modified to 134. Also states the tack works intermittantly. Otherwise it runs great.

So should I take the plunge or save another 5k and get that little bit nicer car. Any input you guys could provide would be much appreciated. I am ready, but should I marry this girl or wait for a better one?

http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/Riocutt/
If, you are not worried about correctness, and add on's and a cut dash & kick panels...for 10K what's not to like? Depending on your location, you have to add in transport, Title,tag's,taxes, insurance etc....So, your 10K most likley just jumped to 11K. Above and beyond the above stated....I really hope someone here can look at the car for you...if not, hire someone....buying from a distance, sight unseen has become a fools paridise on the internet....don't trust anyone!

Last edited by GREGG-73; 08-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGG-73
If, you are not worried about correctness, and add on's and a cut dash & kick panels...for 10K what's not to like? Depending on your location, you have to add in transport, Title,tag's, insurance etc....So, your 10K most likley just jumped to 11K. Above and beyond the above stated....I really hope someone here can look at the car for you...if not, hire someone....buying from a distance, sight unseen has become a fools paridise on the internet....don't trust anyone!

I just got stung on an ebay vert that was supposed to be a good driver no drive train problems. Oh yea. I forgot to drive it first. Just saw some 10 foot pics. Use caution.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

If, you are not worried about correctness, and add on's and a cut dash & kick panels...for 10K what's not to like? Depending on your location, you have to add in transport, Title,tag's,taxes, insurance etc....So, your 10K most likley just jumped to 11K. Above and beyond the above stated....I really hope someone here can look at the car for you...if not, hire someone....buying from a distance, sight unseen has become a fools paridise on the internet....don't trust anyone!
Thanks Gregg, I am taking the dreaded Greyhound looser cruiser on a 500 mile 11 hour trip, not so much to save money but because there are no major airlines that fly into Kingman.

The nice thing about this deal is I will get to drive and look the car over before I hand over any cash. Any suggestions about what I should pay special attention too when I do finally get to see it?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
PizzenEwayMoney
Drifting

Kingman is about an hour ride out of Vegas and they also have a puddle jumper airport that I think maybe southwest might fly to once or twice a day.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Gregg, I am taking the dreaded Greyhound looser cruiser on a 500 mile 11 hour trip, not so much to save money but because there are no major airlines that fly into Kingman.

The nice thing about this deal is I will get to drive and look the car over before I hand over any cash. Any suggestions about what I should pay special attention too when I do finally get to see it?

The below link's will get you started...read the boards here, and before you jump on a Greyhound, have you check list ready to go. There is so much info within this site, I could write a book, but why bother...its already been done...many, many publications on this very subject are there...here for you. You really should do your research first prior to offering any amount of monies....if you have a knowledgable buddy or friend to aide in your inspection...that would be a great help, maybe someone here will chime in that is in the area and is willing to help...

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part2.htm

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part3.htm

Last edited by GREGG-73; 08-11-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

The below link's will get you started...read the boards here, and before you jump on a Greyhound, have you check list ready to go. There is so much info within this site, I could write a book, but why bother...its already been done...many, many publications on this very subject are there...here for you. You really should do your research first prior to offering any amount of monies....if you have a knowledgable buddy or friend to aide in your inspection...that would be a great help, maybe someone here will chime in that is in the area and is willing to help...

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part2.htm

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part3.htm

many thanks, I will take this with me...who knows maybe even find a jem.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Rio,

11 hours on a Greyhound bus!? Can't you get a cheap flight into Vegas and rent a car for the 1 hour drive? See if there are any CF Members in Vegas that would be willing to drive that 1 hour w you!

Best wishes. Looks like a nice car from the pics, but as Gregg-73 says, it's best to see the car in person.

Rickman
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 AM
jaldridge
Instructor

One should note that you "should never go grocery shopping while you are hungry" always end up with stuff you would have never bought

One should also never go look at a corvette after a 11 hour greyhound ride.......The willingness to avoid the second 11hours home may flaw your judgement in making the purchase....

Good luck...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 08-12-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Taking an 11 hour Loser Cruiser ride without a ton more pictures of the engine and frame first is not wise, especially when you get there and its very, very unlikely you will have the willpower to walk away if its not right. Got a buddy? A wife? RENT A CAR AND DRIVE OUT if you dont want to fly!!

PS, wrong motor, (is the color right?,) Im thinking that total value with dive under $10k in a hurry, so dont feel like this is the last deal in North America.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jaldridge
One should note that you "should never go grocery shopping while you are hungry" always end up with stuff you would have never bought

One should also never go look at a corvette after a 11 hour greyhound ride.......The willingness to avoid the second 11hours home may flaw your judgement in making the purchase....

Good luck...
LOL I will keep that in mind....and try to remember that I have a long ride home either way.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Taking an 11 hour Loser Cruiser ride without a ton more pictures of the engine and frame first is not wise, especially when you get there and its very, very unlikely you will have the willpower to walk away if its not right. Got a buddy? A wife? RENT A CAR AND DRIVE OUT if you dont want to fly!!

PS, wrong motor, (is the color right?,) Im thinking that total value with dive under $10k in a hurry, so dont feel like this is the last deal in North America.
I appreciate that thank you. I will check out the frame throughly. Although matching numbers are nice, I don't think they are a deal breaker for me. I am going to DRIVE the heck out of whatever I buy.

I am committed to the trip...traveling at night and will sleep most of the way there. I am kind of used to this type of travel being a Baseball Coach we do these forced marches all the time.....I do appreciate everyones concern for my confort however. I promise NOT to be whooed by my cramped butt cheeks.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Riocutt
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the help with the images VETTEBUYER....
Old 08-13-2009, 12:33 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 426 Likes on 254 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

VERY SMART........... !!!
I have no pitty for anyone, buying ANYTHING sight unseen ............let alone a VETTE !!!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM
jimo
Drifting

Originally Posted by highschool67

I just got stung on an ebay vert that was supposed to be a good driver no drive train problems. Oh yea. I forgot to drive it first. Just saw some 10 foot pics. Use caution.
always use caution!! too easy to get caught out if you dont do a thorough check, its good to also take some one with good knowledge if you can.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 ???? Opinions Needed.

Quick Reply: 73 ???? Opinions Needed.