Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Restomod Project for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 81 Restomod Project for sale

As much as I hate to, I need to move one of my projects on to someone who can finish it. I have other stuff pending, and I start to stress when I go out and see all I have/want to do, so I want to move the one and put it towards my 74.

For sale is my 1981 vette that I was in the process of turning into a full resto mod. I love the 81s and bought this one with a ton already done to it, and then went further to try to complete it. I bought about a year ago. The asking price was 13,000 and we originally agreed on 11,500. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was disappointed in the paint job. It looked great from 10 feet, but was bubbling in some spots. After some discussion, we agreed on less taking that into account. The person I bought it from is a great guy and did nice work overall on the car. The following is what was done when I bought it.

-New ZZ4 Crate motor w/4 bolt main, aluminum heads, hydraulic roller camshaft, aluminum dual-plane intake, HEI distributor, 355 HP w/over 400 ft lb torque, 650cfm Street Avenger Holley carb, chrome fuel lines with pressure gauge. Everything under the hood is brand new. All brackets are powder coated black and run true, new 100amp alternator, Dewitt radiator and steam-cleaned and recoated transmission cooler. Engine alone over $5000.

-Transmission is brand new rebuilt w/added mild shift kit and 2200 stall converter

-Front end inclusive of all bearings, gaskets, bushings and components are brand new, new brakes and assemblies, new SS brake lines and shocks

-Rear end has all new brake assemblies inclusive of parking brake assemblies, new bushings, shocks, trailing arms are refinished and rebushed w/new spacers, new rear fiberglass spring (330lbs) and new universals.

-Frame has been completed sanded and recoated with POR-15

-Car completely stripped down to gel-coat and re-primed/painted, tuxedo black exterior inclusive of all door jamb components, engine compartment is matt black
Interior stripped and fully Dynamatt insulation installed and brand new stock carpet. New Stereo, new speakers and wired for CD player

-New gas tank, fuel ines, gaskets and HP fuel pump

-All new weatherstripping throughout

-Brand new 255/60-R15 BFG tires

Since then, I have done and or changed the following:

Removed new stock exhaust and replaced with new Hooker headers and side pipes. Car sounds amazing.
New door panels. Have new in boxes but have not installed yet.
New seat foam and covers (redid frames and tracks while apart, painted panels on back)
New Steering wheel
New center emergency brake pad and arm rest
Corvette floor mats.
New BF Goodrich 265 tires on rear.
New center caps

I lowered the car front and rear and with the bigger tires in the back, it has an awesome stance.

The car runs great and I have had out on the road around block many times. But no cruises or anything as it is not ready yet. There are basically no miles on the work that was done. The tires have zero miles on them.
The vacuum works good and the lights function well. I have binders of receipts from prior owner and some things from myself. I also have the tank sticker and original owners manual.

What I wanted to do to complete and what the car needs:

The car was never aligned after the new suspension was put in, so it needs that.
I removed the AC and heat (still have some parts) as my goal was a driver. I was going to look into an aftermarket setup, as I wanted to open up the engine compartment, hence the removal. I still have to put a cover plate on the opening in the firewall.
The gauges all work but are disconnected. I was planning on replacing them all with aftermarket ones.
Finish installing door panels. To complete the interior, that last thing it needs is the battery compartment covers as they look beat.
I started polishing the rims. I got 2 done. Others look good but the polish would really bring them out. I do have new caps for them.
Then eventually I was going to have the paint repaired, but my focus was to have a fun car to drive, and since from 10 feet the paint looks good, this was way down my list.
Also, while working on it I bumped the radiator (I was beyond mad at myself as you can imagine). I contacted DeWitts and tried to patch with an epoxy, but it still has an extremely slow leak, even under pressure. DeWitts said they could repair, but I never pulled to send back. Car can be driven with no problem, the coolant level just needs to be checked occasionally.

Between buying the car and then all the stuff I bought for it, I am in over 14K in the car. I would like to get 9500 for the car, but feel free to make an offer. You might be surprised what I will take and the worst I can say is no. I can even deliver within a reasonable distance. I have bought and sold on the forum before and I try to be upfront with people. This is a cool car, and has amazing potential, but it does need work to finish. It really is a perfect winter project and honestly, mechanically from the engine, trans, rear, suspension, brakes, and most of interior, it is brand new. These parts alone add up to more than I am asking for the car. All it needs is someone to finish it up.

Please email me (jsbwac@yahoo.com) or pm me with questions. Also, I have more pictures I can send. I am willing to ship if you need be.
Thanks.

***Sorry for some of the pictures being upside down, my ipad and photobucket seem to have a problem with this occasionally.

Last edited by jsbwac; 09-09-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Where is the car located ?
Looks like somebody will be getting a great deal !
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

In NJ. I think it is a good since the parts alone add up to be much more. I was thinking I could part out, but would rather leave together. I know it is a loss for me, but I needit gone so I can focus on other stuff. Thanks!

Last edited by jsbwac; 09-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been receiving a ton of questions on the car and sending pictures out. If you want anything specific taken, just let me know. Mechanically the car is basically new and needs finishing. The cost of parts alone far exceeds what I would like to get for it.

But please read the description well, especially of what is wrong and still needs to be done. I feel the good far outweighs everything, but I don't want anyone to be surprised.

Car is also listed on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...ht_1628wt_1021

Feel free to make an offer!
Thanks.

Last edited by jsbwac; 09-10-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 PM
somethingwitty
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really wish i had the money, this car is sick and at an awesome price too!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Give'rBuddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see it sold on eBay. Somebody got a good deal!

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Restomod Project for sale

Quick Reply: 81 Restomod Project for sale