Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1981 Big Block for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1981 Big Block for sale

PRICE DROP

I’ve posted about this build on this and other corvette forums over the last few years, there’s a lot about the build process, both the mechanical and the body/paint work. The car does need seat covers and carpet, they’re okay but could certainly be better.

The Engine machine work done by Dickey Ferry Racing in Macclenny Fl and includes Hypereutectic pistions, forged crankshaft, balanced rotating assembly, ported and flowed heads, 2.25” intake valves added, GM performance intake manifold and HEI ignition, Lunati VooDoo full roller valve train with a Comp Cams Thumper LS6 cam. Engine also includes a modified factory SB serpentine drive belt system. Modified Rochester carburetor by Cliffs High performance.

Exterior is outstanding, no cracks or waves, door gaps are even, fender lines are sharp and consistent, hood is L88 style, and has been modified raising it 2.5”. Exhaust is stainless steel and vehicle has Headman ceramic coated headers. Transmission is a modified 2004R, rear end is a 71 iron center section mated to the aluminum “batwing”. All suspension bushings have been replaced, including trailing arm bushings, bearings are outstanding. A 9/16 rear stabilizer bar has been added. Brake calipers are SS sleeved, SS braided brake hoses are installed as are Hawk brake pads.

Front fenders have been modified to include fender louvers. Paint is outstanding, car was painted almost two years ago and garaged since then. The bumper covers, doors and all trim/hardware was removed prior to paint. Paint was color sanded, clear was wet sanded and polished. All weather seals have been replaced with high quality silicone pieces. Trim is powder coated. Interior is good, one minor tear on the drivers seat. All accessories, and options work including AC and cruise control.

I’m asking $22K OBO.

Last edited by damoroso; 08-01-2017 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OLE442 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Mikeski
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Beautiful color and vette! Does everything work: AC, heater, wipers, and horn? With the modified engine how does the vacuum system work with the headlites?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mikeski
Beautiful color and vette! Does everything work: AC, heater, wipers, and horn? With the modified engine how does the vacuum system work with the headlites?
Thanks, it’s very hard to capture that color in a pic, in the sun it’s really incredible. It’s a base coat, top coat, clear coat paint, color sanded and polished, plus the car was apart when we painted it. Nose, tail, headlights, doors, everything off and apart...Oh, and the trim is powder coated.

Yes, the AC (may need a top off, I don’t drive it much, I’ll have that done before delivery of the car), heater, wipers and horn work. So do the power windows, the rear defrost, the door locks are a little sticky but work, and the cruise control works perfectly! Everything works on the car. Oh, I did replace the rear view mirror with one that has map lights in it...and the vanity mirror lights work too!

Good question about the headlights, they work really well, even at an idle. I replaced any worn bushings, springs and hoses when I had the front end apart. The engine does have a pretty healthy cam, it’s a Comp Cams LS6 Thumper cam. It idles in gear at about 1000 rpm. I’ve put a different vacuum advance in the distributor to help keep the idle stable.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm never huge on mods, but I dig this one. Color looks gorgeous. Good luck w/ the sale!!
damoroso (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:34 PM
zebebad
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Beautiful car and gorgeous paint for sure ! Who did the 2.5 in center raise of your L-88 hood ? That is just Awesome looking !
Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zebebad
Beautiful car and gorgeous paint for sure ! Who did the 2.5 in center raise of your L-88 hood ? That is just Awesome looking !

Thanks, I did the hood with a friend of mine. I needed just a bit more space under the hood to clear the air cleaner. We bumped it and made the new “top” of the hood parallel with the belt line of the car. We toyed with making the sides just smooth and straight from the deck of the hood to the top, but opted for the sculpted line down the sides...I’m glad we did!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 267 Likes on 172 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That is one of the most awesome customizations of a C3 I've ever seen! Very, very tasteful......not overdone! Everything follows the same design focus IMO!

Where did you get the L88 hood you started with(seller/manufacturer). I would like to put a unmodified one on my '76!

Last edited by OLE442; 05-22-2017 at 07:13 PM.
damoroso (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 AM
zebebad
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso
Thanks, I did the hood with a friend of mine. I needed just a bit more space under the hood to clear the air cleaner. We bumped it and made the new “top” of the hood parallel with the belt line of the car. We toyed with making the sides just smooth and straight from the deck of the hood to the top, but opted for the sculpted line down the sides...I’m glad we did!
Would be AWESOME if you could come up with a mold for your hood for what you did, and sell the hoods, the hoods would sell big time ! The line's are so perfect ! Wish I could find someone near me that could do my L88 hood just like yours .

Last edited by zebebad; 05-23-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OLE442
That is one of the most awesome customizations of a C3 I've ever seen! Very, very tasteful......not overdone! Everything follows the same design focus IMO!

Where did you get the L88 hood you started with(seller/manufacturer). I would like to put a unmodified one on my '76!
Thanks very much for the compliments...hopefully someone else feels the same and wants to own the car!!

The hood started out as an Ecklers hood. Not a bad product actually.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:23 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zebebad
Would be AWESOME if you could come up with a mold for your hood for what you did, and sell the hoods, the hoods would sell big time ! The line's are so perfect ! Wish I could find someone near me that could do my L88 hood just like yours .
Thanks very much! I’ve seen other L88 hoods that are higher, but they didn’t have the lines I wanted, so I did this. I have no idea what it would take to make molds for it...an interesting idea...
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
garamis
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car. I was born in 81. Ever since I was in high school I remember seeing those Stingrays no car looks like that. Very unique. Since high school I always thought it would be cool to have an 81 Stingray the same age as me and just keep it forever
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Khibbs
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Bump for a beautiful 81. I'm a HUGE fan of the hood as well.

I'd love to see the view from the drivers seat. I've just purchased an 81 so I'm out but best of luck with the sale. Very nicely done.
damoroso (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garamis
Beautiful car. I was born in 81. Ever since I was in high school I remember seeing those Stingrays no car looks like that. Very unique. Since high school I always thought it would be cool to have an 81 Stingray the same age as me and just keep it forever
Thanks! I can help you fulfill that wish!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:50 PM
garamis
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah sorry way too rich my blood for a 2nd car. I've been looking around for something around the $10k price point. But free bump for ya. Looks perfect. Plus I'd want to go for a manual.
damoroso (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garamis
Ah sorry way too rich my blood for a 2nd car. I've been looking around for something around the $10k price point. But free bump for ya. Looks perfect. Plus I'd want to go for a manual.
Understood, I paid $10K for the car when I started this project. I looked at doing manual trans and it was going to be a couple thousand more than the automatic by the time the swap was done.

A paint job like this is about $8-$10K, and everything except seat covers and carpet is new in the car so...but it took me several years to do the project.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Beautiful color, LOVE the hood and the louvers! Great job!!
damoroso (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:50 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Bump!

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Big Block for sale

Old 06-08-2017, 03:34 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Is it a 454, 427 or what?
Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Priya
Is it a 454, 427 or what?
It’s a 402 punched .30. Came out of a 1970 Monte Carlo SS.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:59 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Bump

Quick Reply: FS: 1981 Big Block for sale