Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1972 Blue Corvette in KC

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 1972 Blue Corvette in KC

EDIT: Car Sale is on hold for now. After I didn't get any interest for the first couple weeks, I've started working on it again to get it into better shape.

Well, after much debate with my family, I think I'm going to sell my 1972 Corvette. I've had it 5 years, in fact you can see all my posts on it here at the forum. If you're looking for original, numbers matching, etc I'd advise you to run away now, lol. Trying to remember all the things I've done to it, but basically:

automatic transmission
base engine
AC
was originally ontario orange, now is blue

The good:

new black carpet
C6 seats instead of c3
retrosound radio
new radio panel
new clock
led's installed in dash
new door panels
one new door handle (I think I have the parts for the other)
new trim pieces for the windshield sides
new trim for the center console
rest of pieces were resprayed with the stuff corvette central sells for leather recoloring
new speakers installed
baldwin motion gas cap installed
new chrome back license plate holder
new 14" steering wheel instead of the huge 16" one
new seat belts
new door handles
cragar rims
had suspension work done on the front, new springs and other stuff
carb rebuilt
new vacuum hose kit mostly installed
has AC but isn't hooked up. I was told it worked when I bought it but he disconnected it to save MPG, I would be leary of that, lol.
new door sills

The bad:
could use new paint due to some clear coat peeling on the nose. You don't notice it from 20+ feet but when you get close you can see it.
tires are 5+ years old, tread is fine but age?
gas tank smells if you fill it too full, I think it needs work. I always just filled it to 1/2 tank as a result
needs new rubber seals basically everywhere. I was going to do this but didn't want to until I painted the car
windshield wipers need work. The wiper door opens when you start the car (happened after I fixed the vacuum stuff) I think that there's something else driving that. Need wiper blades
engine isn't original.
probably needs vacuum tube work for interior controls. I think I have the parts for that
brakes are getting weak, need work. I had them worked on 4 years ago, they're getting weak again.
some of the repo parts aren't the greatest in my opinion. Like the new center steering wheel cap scratches easy.
tach doesn't work because a distributor was installed

So the next question is, why am I selling? Well, I honestly didn't think I ever would (as you can see by the work above). I've been using this car to transport my kids to and from games/soccer practices the past 5 years, much to their enjoyment (and mine). This last year though, my kids started playing farther away (used to be a 2 minute drive, now 15 to 30 one way) and honestly I don't really like driving it on longer trips like that. It barely got used this year. Even though it's never stranded me (outside of one dead battery that was my fault) I don't like having to look at the weather constantly to make sure it isn't going to rain (as with no wipers, that wouldn't be good, lol). So I think the plan is to sell this and move to a C5 that would be in line with hauling kids longer distances. Option 2 is buying a lift and getting both, but that's only if I have trouble selling it.

Price is 10k firm.

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: Look below for the new pictures.

Last edited by taylor34; 01-31-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:04 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Taylor,
call me if you would on the 72 corvette?
thanks
Gary 918-704-0277
g.guinn@maccor.com
Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

BUMP< looks like a nice car, GLWS
Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 PM
randy72
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the birdcage? Do you have any pictures of the frame?
Old 01-09-2018, 01:50 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Nice Corvette!!!

Nice Corvette!!!

Cool pin stripping makes it really great!!! Jimi would approve!

Good luck with Sale!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by randy72
How is the birdcage? Do you have any pictures of the frame?
I took four pictures of the underside, I don't know if this is what you want or not.
Attached Images     
Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are some pics of the engine. Btw, it has around 125,000 miles.
Attached Images    
Old 01-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Look like a good buy for someone.....Which pinball machine comes with it.....If that is your collection in the flicker window it's nice.

Good luck with sale....
Brian
Old 01-11-2018, 06:37 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

why the electric wire nuts??? looks like if someone buys it, they might think about pulling the engine and freshening it up and clean the motor area while it is out(that is what I would do if it were mine) after they get any bugs out the car(not roaches or mice) GLWS wish I had room for it!!!

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 01-13-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:44 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
why the electric wire nuts??? looks like if someone buys it, they might think about pulling the engine and freshening it up and clean the motor area while it is out(that is what I would do if it were mine) after they get any bugs out the car(not roaches or mice)
I believe the wire nuts were from when I first took it in after I bought it, they were looking at it and notice a couple wires that were dangling. I'm guessing that's what they did with them. The engine compartment could definitely use some freshening up. Like I told someone over the phone, it was kind of a project car where I was learning how to work on cars (because I never had before). I did pretty good on the interior and vacuum stuff but things like those wires and the tach were beyond my skill level. At least you know I'm not trying to hide anything.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Nice Corvette!!!

Good luck with sale and IMHO, somebody will want this one! (I want it but too many Corvette toy projects now)

Suggest you wash and wax/detail it SUPER and sell it on ebay!

It has a nice old school "patina" as they say!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:43 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 20mercury
Good luck with sale and IMHO, somebody will want this one! (I want it but too many Corvette toy projects now)

Suggest you wash and wax/detail it SUPER and sell it on ebay!

It has a nice old school "patina" as they say!
Problem is I can't even get it out of the garage currently due to snow and bad weather, makes it hard to take pictures. It's been super cold for the KC area the past week, hopefully later this next week it will warm up some so I can get it outside.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:04 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are the real pictures after I pulled it out today and dusted it off. It really is a nice looking car other than the clearcoat stuff on the nose.
Attached Images          
Old 01-20-2018, 09:07 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I tried to take some pictures behind the kickpanels and the birdcage.
Attached Images           
The following users liked this post:
OLE442 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:49 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Cool Corvette!!

Cool Corvette!!

In the second set of photos, some rust on windshield frame, any holes that you can see? And assume the windshield has not been out, so some unknowns there maybe?

And you might check the paint section here, maybe there is a doable somewhat acceptable fix for the clear coat peeling?

And hard to tell but I am thinking the speakers in the kickpanels are blocking the view of what the #2 mounts look like.

Good luck with sale, this will be a nice driver for somebody!! Sorry I can not be in the market right now, oh well.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 20mercury
Cool Corvette!!

In the second set of photos, some rust on windshield frame, any holes that you can see? And assume the windshield has not been out, so some unknowns there maybe?

And you might check the paint section here, maybe there is a doable somewhat acceptable fix for the clear coat peeling?

And hard to tell but I am thinking the speakers in the kickpanels are blocking the view of what the #2 mounts look like.

Good luck with sale, this will be a nice driver for somebody!! Sorry I can not be in the market right now, oh well.
I don't see any holes (other than the screw holes), I think it's mainly just surface.

I'm not sure on the clear coat stuff, unfortunately I'm not a paint guy by any stretch. There's some stuff for boats I think that might work but I was afraid I might make it worse. The car has been housed in my garage the entire 5 years I've had it, never seen one drop of rain or bad weather during that time.
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (01-22-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 05:03 AM
Rotorblade
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm so sorry to read the car is on hold, it is a very interesting car I would buy for sure. Now that you decided to take your time and work on it, what could be so helpful for us, future buyers, is to see the mount bolts and birdcage in all his glory, if you have time you can remove the speakers and take some pictures.

If you are interested on selling it, PM!

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Blue Corvette in KC

Quick Reply: FS: 1972 Blue Corvette in KC