Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1978 Corvette in NE Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Heus
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 1978 Corvette in NE Ohio: $7900

SOLD!!!!
$7800 I feel I have listed this at a very bargain price. I have probably 16000 into this car, including the cost of the car itself.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6627061620.html
Looking to sell my beautiful 78 corvette. Very solid. Great frame and birdcage. Nice paint. Has a three year old ATK roller crate engine. 357 CID, 350hp/400 torque. 2600 rpm stall converter. Summit 600 carb. Weiand dual plane intake. Three year old Doug's ceramic coated headers and side pipes. Steering was professionally rebuilt. It even won its class at a corvette car show a couple of summers back. Things that need some attention: Radio antenna needs hooked up. Tach and speedometer recently went out. Also, the power window tracks need adjusted.
This is a great driving and stopping car. New rear tires. Dark blue interior in good condition. Originally an all silver exterior.
Extremely solid car, including floor pans and bird cage. PM me or text 440-645-6842
This was checked out by Bair's Corvettes when I purchased it 3 years ago. They have done some of the wotk on it (ex. steering system, headlight canisters, etc).
New battery last fall.

Last edited by Heus; 07-15-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Heus
Instructor

Am I asking too much for this? I have had pretty much zero interest locally (NE Ohio), except from people wanting to trade. I never expected to make money off this car, but I paid over my current asking price three years ago, then added the high performance crate engine. side headers, and a lot of other things. I will just keep it if I cant sell it for under $8000. I know I should fix some of things like the speedo and window tracks. Its just sad how little these late C3s are worth.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Heus
Am I asking too much for this? I have had pretty much zero interest locally (NE Ohio), except from people wanting to trade. I never expected to make money off this car, but I paid over my current asking price three years ago, then added the high performance crate engine. side headers, and a lot of other things. I will just keep it if I cant sell it for under $8000. I know I should fix some of things like the speedo and window tracks. Its just sad how little these late C3s are worth.
What's your asking price? The craigslist link is down. I'm in your same boat with my 78. I paid $7,750 back 13 years ago which at the time seemed like a decent deal for a car that needed work, had it stripped/re-painted for $6,300, restored interior (carpet, sound deadening, heat/insulation, leather seats/new foam, door panels, replace or re-dye remainder of panels, etc), tons of other things over the years. I'm probably in for $20k or so into the car with purchase price, paint, and all the work I've done. I'd prob. be in $25k or more if I didn't do a lot of things myself thanks to this forum over the years. So like you, have a fairly sorted car with probably only some minor things I'd take care of. Yet, I'm getting mostly low ball offers. Had about a dozen scammers at first, but those have died down. The traders as you've said as well. Had a couple dealers offer to consign with them, and a few look to buy it to flip it. Had people say they were flying in, only to text them the day of before leaving and they ghost. I'm already feeling like it was a give away at the price I had it orig. listed at, after several drops I'm likely just going to keep it.

When we do sell, people are getting a heck of a lot for not so much $.

Last edited by raydog9379; 06-27-2018 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Heus (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:01 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Remove the side pipes and go back to muffler and tail pipes ....In my opinion I think the side pipes only look good on the chrome bumpered C-3's.....The plastic bumpered C3's not so much...

Take some nice photos of the car..Personally I think the worked motor you have will draw some Iinterest...The stock late 70's motors were boat anchors......You can get away with not having numbers matching in late model C3's as opposed to the early model ones...
Old 06-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Heus
Instructor

Originally Posted by raydog9379
what's your asking price? The craigslist link is down. I'm in your same boat with my 78. I paid $7,750 back 13 years ago which at the time seemed like a decent deal for a car that needed work, had it stripped/re-painted for $6,300, restored interior (carpet, sound deadening, heat/insulation, leather seats/new foam, door panels, replace or re-dye remainder of panels, etc), tons of other things over the years. I'm probably in for $20k or so into the car with purchase price, paint, and all the work i've done. I'd prob. Be in $25k or more if i didn't do a lot of things myself thanks to this forum over the years. So like you, have a fairly sorted car with probably only some minor things i'd take care of. Yet, i'm getting mostly low ball offers. Had about a dozen scammers at first, but those have died down. The traders as you've said as well. Had a couple dealers offer to consign with them, and a few look to buy it to flip it. Had people say they were flying in, only to text them the day of before leaving and they ghost. I'm already feeling like it was a give away at the price i had it orig. Listed at, after several drops i'm likely just going to keep it.

When we do sell, people are getting a heck of a lot for not so much $.
$7900 I fixed the craigslist link

Last edited by Heus; 06-27-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:20 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Seems like a heck of a deal to me.
Heus (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:04 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 78

I would pay more with the side pipes on

Old 06-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Heus
Instructor

Originally Posted by zrc3john
Remove the side pipes and go back to muffler and tail pipes ....In my opinion I think the side pipes only look good on the chrome bumpered C-3's.....The plastic bumpered C3's not so much...

Take some nice photos of the car..Personally I think the worked motor you have will draw some Iinterest...The stock late 70's motors were boat anchors......You can get away with not having numbers matching in late model C3's as opposed to the early model ones...
That's definitely an opinion I have never heard before. Everyone that sees it in person raves a bout how good the pipes look on it.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:38 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Silver anniversary's are exceptionally good looking cars. Personally I like it without the sidepipes too,seem to detract from its futuristic space ship look that makes these cars so nice. The price is good, but even with a very good price its going to take time to sell a specialty car, there are a lot fewer people looking for something like this compared to a Honda Civic, half ton truck, or Toyota Camry. Be patient, you've only had it advertised a few days. If you've still got it after 3 months then you can start to wonder. If you sell it for less now someone will be bragging for years about how they "stole" the car and others looking for a Corvette will be kicking themselves that they can never find a deal like that.

Last edited by Priya; 06-28-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Heus (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Heus
Instructor

Priya it's actually been for sale for several months on my local craigslist.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Heus,

Nice looking car. I'd buy it but I'm not in the market. It'll sell. It's just going to take some time for the right buyer to come along.

In my opinion, fix the things that need fixing. It'll help with the sale.

Good luck.
Heus (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Priya it's actually been for sale for several months on my local craigslist.
I'm sorry to hear that. I think with a car like this you need a broader audience than your local craiglist. How long have you had it on the Corvette Forum? I think you'll have better luck here and on some national web sites like Corvette hound, etc.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Smokin Deal on 78

Originally Posted by Priya
I'm sorry to hear that. I think with a car like this you need a broader audience than your local craiglist. How long have you had it on the Corvette Forum? I think you'll have better luck here and on some national web sites like Corvette hound, etc.
Heus,

Bump for you! I agree. Local CraigList is not great for a car like this. You're looking for someone who appreciates the engine work, a fine running 78 and doesn't care about originality. I believe this car represents an excellent value for $7900.
One look at those side pipes and you know it's not stock. So what?

GLWS,

Rickman
Heus (06-28-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Heus
Instructor

Well, I have had the opportunity to trade this for several nice old cars and trucks. I am thinking that maybe I will go through with one of these trades then sell whatever vehicle I get for this. Anything's got to be an easier sell than a late C3.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:16 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I know its a pain but take some more photos !!! That motor alone should get it some attention....
Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Well, I have had the opportunity to trade this for several nice old cars and trucks. I am thinking that maybe I will go through with one of these trades then sell whatever vehicle I get for this. Anything's got to be an easier sell than a late C3.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. They've probably been trying to sell too and that's why they want to trade with you. You might find what you trade for is no easier to sell.
Kie (07-04-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Hemi John
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

You just haven't advertised in the right place. Right now it seems theres a lot of nice C3's for sale BUT yours is priced as a project and is actually a VERY nice car. You are well below bargain pricing, this car is a steal at your price. As far as trades.... right now you know what you have, you trade for a car you or a potential buyer finds needs work....

Try ebay and/or racingjunk (free). Just don't get discouraged, try other advertisements. You can also watch this board a little closer as there have been a couple of threads I read where guys were buying basket case projects for a little less than your selling price. Good luck and if I see another thread like that I will link to your ad. I can't believe this hasn't sold yet.....
Heus (07-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Corvette in NE Ohio

Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM
raydog9379
Racer

I wouldn't do a trade in your case to then try to sell, generally they'll say their car is worth X... but in reality they likely already tried to sell it to a dealer and it has all these issues so the dealer either doesn't want it or only will pay Y.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:55 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a great deal. I already have a 78 that I am trying to sell and I am priced much higher that you. I don't understand why yours hasn't sold yet.
Heus (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Heus
Instructor

$7800

Quick Reply: FS: 1978 Corvette in NE Ohio