FS (For Sale) 1968 427/435 L71 Convertible Rally Red Top Flight & Bloomington Gold - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3s for Sale/Wanted
Reload this Page >

FS: 1968 427/435 L71 Convertible Rally Red Top Flight & Bloomington Gold

Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1968 427/435 L71 Convertible Rally Red Top Flight & Bloomington Gold

Old 11-14-2018, 05:33 PM
  #1  
bigredbrad
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigredbrad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Posts: 589
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default 1968 427/435 L71 Convertible Rally Red Top Flight & Bloomington Gold

1968 Corvette that I have owned for about 15 years. What started as just a fix and flip has turned into journey that has introduced me to some of the best people in the Corvette Hobby. The more time I spent researching this Corvette and learning about it, the more I wanted to give it the best restoration possible.

Original 3935439 Engine block with Tonawanda factory applied engine stamp T0604IR and St. Louis factory applied vin stamp 18S422152 codes. Original Factory tank sticker is still in amazing condition for being 50 years old and has been certified by NCRS Historical Document Service.

NCRS Top Flight Judged 4 times 2017-2018 including at the National Convention in Las Vegas where it scored a 100% on Operations (extremely difficult accomplishment) and an overall 95.7 total score. The car received points deductions for things that I purposely did because not everyone can appreciate what NCRS judging standards are. If I had done things to 100% factory correct standards like thin paint, dull unbuffed door jams, overspray in the engine compartment, poorly chrome plated items, etc. it would easily have scored into the 97s. I wanted to build an amazing corvette that could be enjoyed at a local show as well as the biggest corvette judging events in the world. So, things like body colored overspray on the silver cadmium hood hinges was left off. Yes, it cost a couple NCRS judging points, but it also looks much better the other 364 days a year that the car is on display to non NCRS people that would consider red overspray in the engine compartment an amateur restoration.

It has also been Bloomington Gold Certified in both 2017 & 2018 with an OEM engine stamp pad certification both times. Also chosen to be on display at Corvettes at Carlisle for the 1968 50th Anniversary Reunion. Also chosen to be part of the Bloomington Gold "Special Collection" two times. I could bore you for hours if you want, but simply put, this 1968 Corvette L71 is one of the best of the best. I can provide thousands of photos, copies of judging sheets, restoration photos, part number lists, etc.

Bottom line is simply this: I'm not saying this car is amazing. Im letting multiple Bloomington Gold and NCRS judges say it for me. It will be in Chicago this weekend November 17-18 at MCACN Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals to compete for the Triple Diamond Award. If you are in the Chicago area, feel free to come by and look at it in person. I always love to meet new Corvette people!

1968 Corvette Convertible
Code 942 Rally Red / STD Black Vinyl Interior
L71 - 427/435 hp Turbo Jet 3x2 Special High Performance Engine
M21 - 4 speed close ratio transmission
A01 - Tinted Glass
U69 - AMFM Radio
C07 - Auxiliary Hardtop
G81 - Positraction Axle
Tank Sticker date 6-7-68 (June 7, 1968)
Trim Tag date June 11, 1968
Delivery POP date June 25, 1968

Documentation includes:
Original Tank Sticker that has been certified by NCRS Document Validation Service.
Copy of original Protect - O - Plate showing Original owners name, engine, build date, delivery dealer, etc.
NCRS Shipping Data Report showing original Dealership - Vincent Chevrolet, Ypsilanti Michigan
4 NCRS Top Flight Awards including National Convention Las Vegas 2018
2 Bloomington Gold Certification Awards showing OEM Engine stamp pad
NCRS Tank Sticker Validation
NCRS Shipping Data Report

All fiber optics work, correct 1968 round keys, starts perfect goes to high idle, warms up and goes down to correct 850 warm idle.
Engine and trans run and shift perfectly. Never runs hot with correct Harrison 4 row radiator.
Vacuum operated headlights and wiper door work perfectly. Wipers work on 2 speeds & washer squirts correctly w/switch
Bias ply tires are definitely not made for high speed driving, but get the most points for show.
(If you want to make this your daily driver, I would get a second set of radial tires for high speed driving)
All the correct "68 only" items including 15x7 AG rally wheels, door handles, back up lights, door pulls, grills, etc.
Correct spring loaded 1968 only rear storage compartment doors - (No finger loops)
Original Date coded clock works correctly (not a quartz replacement)
Ignition and door lock with same "C" key. Rear glove box and spare tire lock with same "D" key
Ownership history showing 3 owners including myself as the third owner.
Copy of original GM Protect-O-Plate showing original purchaser, dealership, delivery date, etc.
Thousands of restoration photos
Clean Nebraska title is in my safe ready to transfer

Price is $97,500

More photos can be seen on my public Facebook Page: 1968 Corvette 427/435

Why am I selling? Honestly, for me, the thrill is not in the driving or just looking at it in my garage. For me, it is the thrill of the chase for the right car to start with, then determining the path of the restoration, the challenge of learning what parts were on it and how this specific car was built the day it rolled down the assembly line in St. Louis, I love the struggle of figuring out what each bolt head should look like, the archaeology of who owned a car and how I can prove it, and the satisfaction of having it judged at the highest level in the world and coming out on top. I have climbed Mt. Everest with this car, but now its time to let someone else enjoy my hard work and show it, enjoy it, drive it while I work on the next Corvette that I will take all the way to the top of the next mountain.

Email me direct. Not through Corvette Forum (hard for me to access from my phone) at:
[email protected]
402-730-6898
Lincoln, NE




































Last edited by bigredbrad; 11-14-2018 at 07:10 PM.
bigredbrad is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 06:16 PM
  #2  
general ike
CF Senior Member
 
general ike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Thanked 81 Times in 73 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

WOW, is all I can say!!! Ike
general ike is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:48 AM
  #3  
bmackrell
Junior Member
 
bmackrell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Ashburn VA
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Very Nice!
bmackrell is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 03:06 PM
  #4  
jr9170
CF Senior Member
 
jr9170's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: YANKEES UNIVERSE 70 454-LS5 500 ft-lbs Torque
Posts: 11,435
Thanked 330 Times in 307 Posts
Default

Beautiful...
jr9170 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:27 PM
  #5  
pbp8633
CF Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Wow..

I am not a fan of red. Not really a vert guy. BUT I WOULD LOVE TO OWN THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ART. GLWS.
pbp8633 is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 PM
  #6  
449er
CF Senior Member
 
449er's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,040
Thanked 252 Times in 214 Posts
Default

What a beautiful piece of Corvette history, thanks for sharing
449er is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:19 PM
  #7  
glinares
CF Senior Member
 
glinares's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Hoopeston, Illinois
Posts: 816
Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Brad,

Beautiful car.

George from Bloomington Gold
glinares is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to glinares For This Useful Post:
bigredbrad (11-24-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 07:54 AM
  #8  
midigike
CF Senior Member
 
midigike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Deerfield Illinois
Posts: 1,249
Thanked 107 Times in 97 Posts
Default


Does the 68 Corvette owners group on Facebook know of this insolence!!!
Such a beautiful car and you have done a great job of preserving it.
Glws

Mike Butera
midigike is offline  
Old 11-24-2018, 06:14 PM
  #9  
bigredbrad
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigredbrad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Posts: 589
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by glinares View Post
Brad,

Beautiful car.

George from Bloomington Gold
George, Thank you! It was great to meet you at MCACN and I was going to reach out to Beth or Kathy at BG to get your contact information to say thank you for taking the time to talk with me. Please, if you would, send me your contact info to [email protected] so we can keep in touch. Im working on which car(s) to bring to Indy in 2019 and recruiting other corvette owners to join me for the greatest Corvette show in the world.

Brad
bigredbrad is offline  
Old 11-24-2018, 06:18 PM
  #10  
bigredbrad
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigredbrad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Posts: 589
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by midigike View Post

Does the 68 Corvette owners group on Facebook know of this insolence!!!
Such a beautiful car and you have done a great job of preserving it.
Glws

Mike Butera

That is my page Mike and thanks for joining. I started it specifically to help 1968 owners share and learn information with each other. There are literally hundreds of running changes week to week and month to month in the 1968 model year.

Now, Im off to google insolence to see if I should be happy or insulted!

bigredbrad
bigredbrad is offline  
Old 11-25-2018, 02:35 PM
  #11  
midigike
CF Senior Member
 
midigike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Deerfield Illinois
Posts: 1,249
Thanked 107 Times in 97 Posts
Default

I meant “insubordination” with that term, albeit by selling your 68!
And yes I love your 68 owners page!
Hope no offense taken...
midigike is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 11:43 AM
  #12  
marshal135
CF Senior Member
 
marshal135's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Madeira Beach, FL
Posts: 2,180
Thanked 142 Times in 129 Posts
Default

Hi Brad,
You kindly welcomed me to your '68 owners page about a month or two ago.
Great site by the way.
My '68 was made about a week after yours. 6/14 on trim tag.
I've got the 390 hp option only but she came with factory air!
Your car is 3 dimensional art. I would love to be able to walk around it to compare notes so I could assess the originality of mine.
Amazing car, Thanks for all the dedication and long hard hours to the marque.
Most will never have the physical energy nor the time it takes to restore a car to this level.
It's a blessing you started with such a nice unmolested example.
Having the original drive train in a performance car meant to be raced is so rare.
I don't think I could sell her after such a life time achievement.
Mine is avail for assistance if you itching to assist in doing a coupe
I would love to know more about mine like you do about your car.
Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Marshal
marshal135 is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM
  #13  
68RPOL71
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 394
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bigredbrad View Post
1968 Corvette that I have owned for about 15 years. What started as just a fix and flip has turned into journey that has introduced me to some of the best people in the Corvette Hobby. The more time I spent researching this Corvette and learning about it, the more I wanted to give it the best restoration possible.

Original 3935439 Engine block with Tonawanda factory applied engine stamp T0604IR and St. Louis factory applied vin stamp 18S422152 codes. Original Factory tank sticker is still in amazing condition for being 50 years old and has been certified by NCRS Historical Document Service.

NCRS Top Flight Judged 4 times 2017-2018 including at the National Convention in Las Vegas where it scored a 100% on Operations (extremely difficult accomplishment) and an overall 95.7 total score. The car received points deductions for things that I purposely did because not everyone can appreciate what NCRS judging standards are. If I had done things to 100% factory correct standards like thin paint, dull unbuffed door jams, overspray in the engine compartment, poorly chrome plated items, etc. it would easily have scored into the 97s. I wanted to build an amazing corvette that could be enjoyed at a local show as well as the biggest corvette judging events in the world. So, things like body colored overspray on the silver cadmium hood hinges was left off. Yes, it cost a couple NCRS judging points, but it also looks much better the other 364 days a year that the car is on display to non NCRS people that would consider red overspray in the engine compartment an amateur restoration.

It has also been Bloomington Gold Certified in both 2017 & 2018 with an OEM engine stamp pad certification both times. Also chosen to be on display at Corvettes at Carlisle for the 1968 50th Anniversary Reunion. Also chosen to be part of the Bloomington Gold "Special Collection" two times. I could bore you for hours if you want, but simply put, this 1968 Corvette L71 is one of the best of the best. I can provide thousands of photos, copies of judging sheets, restoration photos, part number lists, etc.

Bottom line is simply this: I'm not saying this car is amazing. Im letting multiple Bloomington Gold and NCRS judges say it for me. It will be in Chicago this weekend November 17-18 at MCACN Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals to compete for the Triple Diamond Award. If you are in the Chicago area, feel free to come by and look at it in person. I always love to meet new Corvette people!

1968 Corvette Convertible
Code 942 Rally Red / STD Black Vinyl Interior
L71 - 427/435 hp Turbo Jet 3x2 Special High Performance Engine
M21 - 4 speed close ratio transmission
A01 - Tinted Glass
U69 - AMFM Radio
C07 - Auxiliary Hardtop
G81 - Positraction Axle
Tank Sticker date 6-7-68 (June 7, 1968)
Trim Tag date June 11, 1968
Delivery POP date June 25, 1968

Documentation includes:
Original Tank Sticker that has been certified by NCRS Document Validation Service.
Copy of original Protect - O - Plate showing Original owners name, engine, build date, delivery dealer, etc.
NCRS Shipping Data Report showing original Dealership - Vincent Chevrolet, Ypsilanti Michigan
4 NCRS Top Flight Awards including National Convention Las Vegas 2018
2 Bloomington Gold Certification Awards showing OEM Engine stamp pad
NCRS Tank Sticker Validation
NCRS Shipping Data Report

All fiber optics work, correct 1968 round keys, starts perfect goes to high idle, warms up and goes down to correct 850 warm idle.
Engine and trans run and shift perfectly. Never runs hot with correct Harrison 4 row radiator.
Vacuum operated headlights and wiper door work perfectly. Wipers work on 2 speeds & washer squirts correctly w/switch
Bias ply tires are definitely not made for high speed driving, but get the most points for show.
(If you want to make this your daily driver, I would get a second set of radial tires for high speed driving)
All the correct "68 only" items including 15x7 AG rally wheels, door handles, back up lights, door pulls, grills, etc.
Correct spring loaded 1968 only rear storage compartment doors - (No finger loops)
Original Date coded clock works correctly (not a quartz replacement)
Ignition and door lock with same "C" key. Rear glove box and spare tire lock with same "D" key
Ownership history showing 3 owners including myself as the third owner.
Copy of original GM Protect-O-Plate showing original purchaser, dealership, delivery date, etc.
Thousands of restoration photos
Clean Nebraska title is in my safe ready to transfer

Price is $97,500

More photos can be seen on my public Facebook Page: 1968 Corvette 427/435

Why am I selling? Honestly, for me, the thrill is not in the driving or just looking at it in my garage. For me, it is the thrill of the chase for the right car to start with, then determining the path of the restoration, the challenge of learning what parts were on it and how this specific car was built the day it rolled down the assembly line in St. Louis, I love the struggle of figuring out what each bolt head should look like, the archaeology of who owned a car and how I can prove it, and the satisfaction of having it judged at the highest level in the world and coming out on top. I have climbed Mt. Everest with this car, but now its time to let someone else enjoy my hard work and show it, enjoy it, drive it while I work on the next Corvette that I will take all the way to the top of the next mountain.

Email me direct. Not through Corvette Forum (hard for me to access from my phone) at:
[email protected]
402-730-6898
Lincoln, NE



































very Nice!
68RPOL71 is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 06:27 PM
  #14  
bigredbrad
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigredbrad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Posts: 589
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by midigike View Post
I meant “insubordination” with that term, albeit by selling your 68!
And yes I love your 68 owners page!
Hope no offense taken...
I take offense at nothing. I have two other 1968's, so I doubt I will get thrown off my 1968 Corvette Owners Group page anytime soon.
Glad you like the page. Feel free to invite other 68 owners to share in the fun.

Bigredbrad
bigredbrad is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 PM
  #15  
CORVAIRWILD
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice to read. I kind of sort of do some simple restorations on my various GM 60s cars. I just like them to look correct. They're not restored in any way shape or form. I just don't like worm drive clamps, pep boys battery clamps, home depot nuts and bolts etc...

The reason I'm reading this is because something inside me said I have to have a 435 horse, and now that I read about this '68, it's even more interesting.

I was looking at the blue '68 435 at Fastlane Classics 2 months ago, and I spoke to the salesman today. I just don't like the fact that someone covered up something on the frame with lots and lots of black paint. When I was there two months ago I just spent about 10 minutes looking over the car, I didn't realize that I really wanted it until I read this month's Hemmings Muscle Machines-Corvette special, and here I am reading reading reading and lusting lusting lusting...

Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 01-04-2019 at 10:36 PM.
CORVAIRWILD is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FS: 1968 427/435 L71 Convertible Rally Red Top Flight & Bloomington Gold


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.