Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1979 Corvette frame off restored restomod

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1979 Corvette frame off restored restomod

1979 Corvette with 350 and T10 4 speed transmission for sale that underwent a frame off restoration. I have owned the car since 1998 and I am the third owner. From 2013 to 2015 the car was restored and since that time has been driven less than 8000 miles. Most of the driving was between car shows and a few road trips. I am considering selling the car because my family and I are changing careers and starting a new adventure. I would consider the car a restomod but I tried to retain a stock appearance and try to keep changes that made an improvement in performance, drivability, while still being reliable, and appearing as though the modification might have been factory. I will try to give a detailed list of work and parts but it really is too much to list. Frame: The car was completely disassembled and the frame was seam welded, gusseted and boxed as per the Chevy Power book. The frame, all crossmembers, suspension, and radiator core support was media blasted and powder coated semi-gloss black. Suspension and steering: All components are quality USA made parts and all hardware replaced with new grade 8 hardware. Front suspension: Front upper control arms are VanSteel tubular, Vette brake and Products 550# springs, and 1 ¼ anti-sway bar. Moog ball joints and tie rods with a heavy duty idler arm. Steering gear was replaced with a Borgison gear with Borgison rag joint, and hoses. New AC Delco power steering pump, Polyurethane bushings. Bilstein heavy duty shocks. Rear suspension: Rear spindles replaced and new bearings set up by VanSteel and VanSteel offset trailing arms with polyurethane bushings and stainless-steel shims. VanSteel smart struts, Vette Brakes and Products Duel Mount composite rear spring and 7/8 sway bar. New cross member bushings and aluminum supports. Bilstein heavy duty shocks.Brakes:Front and rear brake calipers are Vette Brakes and Products Stainless steel sleeved and O-ring and powder coated and Hawk brake pads. New Bendix rotors that are indexed to the hubs. Classic tube stainless steel brake lines and stainless steel braded hoses. Stainless steel parking brake, parking brake hardware and parking brake cables. New master cylinder and booster.Engine:350 with .030 over bore and hypertectic two valve relief flat top pistons, with a .010/.010 ground crankshaft. The rotating assembly is balanced and has ARP rod bolts and other hardware. AFR 180 cylinder heads, Comp Cams 274 hydraulic roller cam and roller lifters. Weand intake manifold, Proform 650 mechanical secondary carburetor, fluid dampener, Edelbrock water pump, AC Delco fuel pump. I set the fuel lines up for fuel injection so they are custom made from Classic Tube 3/8 both feed and return and have AN flairs on them. New Radiator, Fan and fan clutch, energy suspension polyurethane engine and transmission mounts and new starter. Ignition is an MSD distributor and an MSD 6AL ignition box and MSD wires. Exhaust, Hooker headers and a 2 ½ custom made mandrel bent duel exhaust with flex couplers, a crossover pipe and Flowmaster 50 series mufflers. Factory transmission replaced with a Richmond Gear Super T-10 with a 2.88 first gear. New bell housing, Center Force clutch and billet flywheel. New shifter and shifter and clutch linkages. Differential has 3.55 gears. Body:Car was completely striped and the GRP is perfect, no cracks or damage, never been wrecked. The factory fender seams were ground out and glassed in. The car was primer and block sanded four times and then sealed with epoxy primer. Base coat was block sanded and the clear was blocked before the last coat which also buried the hood strip in the clear so there is no lip or bump where the color changes. Final clear was cut and buffed. The car is super straight and the paint looks like a sheet of glass. The car was also painted while completely disassembled and reassembled with all new seals and gaskets. The underside of the body was cleaned, painted with black base coat and then with a semi-gloss black. The underside of the transmission tunnel and floor pans were covered with DEI floor and tunnel shield which really helps keep the engine and road heat out of the interior of the car. The interior of the car, including the fire wall is covered with Dynamat and then foam Dynaliner. This combination works really well to keep the heat out and road noise down. New windshield after paint. Electrical:The entire car has been rewired with a complete new wiring harness that also included a new fuse block. Plug connections were replace with new GM 56 series terminals and all connections are soldered. Many new electrical components such as new wiper motor, starter, ext. The original numbers matching engine block also will come with the car and a few other parts such as the stock control arms, which were also powder coated. The car is located in south Texas and I also have an 18 foot dove tail car trailer that is for sale for $2500.00 that has only been used a few times. So, if driving the car home is not something you want to do there is a trailer available on site. This is a very fun and reliable car that rides and handles very well and can be driven anywhere. The asking price for the car is $30,000.00. Feel free to email at mac79vette@hotmail.com Car is currently in storage in the Hallettsville Texas area.

The following users liked this post:
Yarasi (08-30-2022)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 PM
tims93
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Great write up and an even better car! Outstanding!

I’ll go out on a limb and say that’s the nicest 79 I’ve ever seen! GLWS!
John Vance (08-17-2022)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tims93

I Agree!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:44 AM
fozbrick69
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Now THAT is the way to build a car. Properly done. The neat, clean way! Excellent job!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by tims93

Thank you
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Thank you for the comment. It took a lot of time to make sure every pice was clean when building it. All the hardware that was reused was also sandblasted in a blast cabinet to make sure it was spotless clean and the paint would adhere properly.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:10 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

As a black 79 4spd owner, I LOVE this car! Yours is sooo much nicer than mine. GLWS.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:07 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Your 79 is absolutely stunning, a beautiful restoration. Best of luck with the sale.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats how you do a frame off, outstanding!! Real nice balance of stock looking and upgrades in all the right places...no shortcuts.

This is something one could drive the next 10 yrs anywhere without worry .Love it!!!
Old 10-24-2019, 06:02 AM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

Bump. I am buddies with a friend of the owner and I am told this car is outstanding! Good luck with the sale!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:53 AM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow. Great car.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Herb396SS
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow
Old 12-23-2019, 08:58 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one impressive car. GLWS.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Gary Bass
Heel & Toe

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this car still for sale?
Old 12-24-2019, 02:26 PM
topcarbon
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Winner- Unmodified

What a great ad
terrific job documenting
glws
Old 12-25-2019, 11:12 AM
bmackrell
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

any pics of the trailer you have?
Old 08-17-2022, 10:08 PM
John Vance
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Clean 79

Sir that’s better then factory!!!!! The cleanest I’ve ever seen in 59 yrs. Damn nice!!! 30k is more then fair to ask for. Might put it on Barrett auction and double your money. Make me jealous!!! My 79 has had a lot done to it from me and it looks like yours in my mind only. OUTSTANDING !!!!!!
Strelioff (09-19-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Corvette frame off restored restomod

Quick Reply: FS: 1979 Corvette frame off restored restomod