Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1972 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM
carpinteriac3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1972 Coupe

****SOLD***

For Sale 1972 Coupe

Goleta/Santa Barbara, CA

Mostly-complete project car - needs a few things (which isn’t surprising).

The good:

New (non-numbers matching) small block with an Edelbrock 2098 kit on it. Old numbers-matching engine fell apart like Mr Potato head in a tumble-dryer. New transmission.

Mysterious and fairly expensive-looking stereo bits behind the dash and in the rear storage bins that - as far as I can tell - the prior owner installed without the instructions or the use of elementary electrical theory.

Body in pretty good shape - red (originally War bonnet yellow) with a grey unpainted L88 hood.

New rear tires, new 2.5in exhaust.

Interior in decent shape

The bad:

Vacuum system takes its time to do anything useful. Gets there in the end. Mostly.

Tach and fuel gauge don’t work. Clock tells times of its own choosing and doesn’t involve you in that process. Many other small things are either actively not there or just simply don't work. I have a large amount of parts for most of those small things, but no time to bolt them on.

Tendency to stall at inopportune moments - the more embarrassing for the driver the better (in front of crowded schoolyards, at intersections blocking funeral processions etc.)

No AC.

Loud and hot and with steering that inexplicably always tries to make you drive to Tijuana and get into trouble.

One careful owner who drove it to church and back every Sunday, followed by another owner who is a police officer and might read this so I’ll be generous and say that he did a pretty good job painting it but broke some things that needed fixing. Finally, a third owner (me) who fixed a lot of those broken things and then got too busy with work to do anything more and let it sit in a garage for three years like a giant, accusatory obelisk reminding me of my failings, and oh god what have I done with my life etc.

Additionally, a third owner’s wife who points out that if the owner was going to have a midlife crisis then he should have skipped the red sports car and opted for a fling with a twenty-something Brazilian girlfriend because (and I quote) “that would have cost less and she wouldn’t be cluttering up the damn garage when I’m trying to get the Christmas decorations down.”

$10k or best offer, buyer arranges collection. Or opts to drive it home if they’re feeling adventurous.

Last edited by carpinteriac3; 01-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rmgny44 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Staylor63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

GLWS, a great looking car, but even better description!!
I chuckled out loud....
Steve
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Staylor63
GLWS, a great looking car, but even better description!!
I chuckled out loud....
Steve
Me too...!!!...
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Flat out Hilarious. Brazilian supermodels, Tijuana side trips, and Mr. Potato head in a Tumble Dryer... Those lines alone should make it at least a $10,001 dollar ride.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:04 AM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

wow too bad my first wife didn't take that approach, because it cost me a lot more than the 10K believe me!!

Ina ny case GLWS, will be a nice car when done.

Last edited by peyc2; 01-17-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 AM
carpinteriac3
Advanced

Thanks. I'll be sad to see it go!

Price negotiable on quick sale. I have a fifteen year old son who knows where I keep the keys to the cars and the liquor cabinet. This whole thing is in a very real sense a ticking time bomb.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM
rambok81
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

How is the frame and birdcage area of the car? Any rust issues in those areas?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM
carpinteriac3
Advanced

No issues with rust. I used to have a '77 that spent much of its life in a quarry being eaten by goats, and that was riddled with the stuff. One of the first things I looked at when I bought this one. Frame isn't powder-coated or anything - so there's a little mild oxidation here and there - but that's about it. Birdcage looks very good from a visual inspection of windshield frame pillars and windshield frame/cowl. It's a California coastal car that's been pretty much exclusively garaged for its entire life and I don't think it's really ever left the state. There are many things on it that are sub-optimal, but I'm pretty confident that rust isn't one of them.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

GLWS
Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Wow If ever decide to sell my car I wold love to have you write the AD!!! GLWS keep that silver tongue going!!!!

Ike
Old 01-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Viss1
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great writeup and realistic price. GLWS.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Coupe

Quick Reply: FS: 1972 Coupe