Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1971 454 LS-5 Coupe Numbers Matching

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 PM
ckvoss
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1971 454 LS-5 Coupe Numbers Matching

Howdy y'all!

I've got a 1 year old son and another on the way, so the time has come to sell the Vette.

For pictures, please see my Autotrader listing.

Here are the details (copied from the Autotrader listing):
I've got a 1971 LS5 Coupe Corvette for sale. Original, numbers matching 454 big block V8 and 4 speed manual transmission. Modern Holley carb (I have the original Rochester four-barrel Quadra-Jet, I decided to put a modern carb on it instead of rebuilding the original, but I kept the original for those who want to keep this as an all original, numbers matching collector C3 Corvette). 92k miles. The only power option is steering. No A/C. All vacuum systems (pop-up headlights, windshield wiper door) work. Clean Texas Title. Passed state inspection last week.

I bought this car in 2016 and have had a lot of work done to it since then (and have put very few miles on it). Below is a list of some of the things that have been replaces in the past 2 years (all work was done by professional mechanics). I have receipts for all work done to the car since it's been in my possession and many of the receipts from the prior owner (I also know the full history of this car).

Replaced both head gaskets
Valve job
Valve cover gaskets
Engine block was decked
Helicoils installed for all head bolts
Recent compression test passed
New fuel pressure regulator
New thermostat
New plugs and wires
Transmission gasket and seal kit replaced
Electric cooling fan added
New water pump
Radiator and cooling system has been fully flushed and cleaned

There is only one issue that come to mind with this car. The engine doesn't like to start when hot (after it's been driven). Let the car cool down and it starts up fine. I've been told this is likely fuel at the carb boiling off and that it can be fixed without too much hassle, but I rarely drive this car so it hasn't been a priority to fix. Also, the tires are pretty old and should probably be replaced (though they have tons of tread).

I'm asking $37,999 $36,999 OBO and the car is located in Austin, Texas.

Thanks!!

Last edited by ckvoss; 03-29-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Beautiful looking 71 LS5 in a great color. I notice you have chrome valve covers are they the original covers if so I assume you have a very low Vin number... Thank You Jerry
The following users liked this post:
ckvoss (03-24-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:50 PM
ckvoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by jr9170
Beautiful looking 71 LS5 in a great color. I notice you have chrome valve covers are they the original covers if so I assume you have a very low Vin number... Thank You Jerry
Thanks! I'm not sure if the valve covers are original or not, they were there when I got the car. The VIN puts it at right around 5k, so not super early.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

Congratulations on the baby and baby to be. Better get rid of that vette now. I've got a 1 and a 4 year old and the first time the 4 year old said "daddy's vette" I felt like I would be letting him down if I sold it.

Now we have at least 12 hot wheel/ toy corvettes in the rotation along with the corvette shirt he wants to wear- so now I have no choice. He thinks it's a part of the family.

Good luck.
ckvoss (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:47 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Are you selling the car because of the financial burden of 2 young children. Or because the family won't fit in the car?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:41 PM
ckvoss
Advanced

I'm selling it mainly because I don't have the time to enjoy it anymore. It was always a dream of mine to a chrome bumper C3. I've enjoyed taking it out on the weekends and the occasional trip to work over the past three years, but since I no longer have time for that it's time for someone else to enjoy this awesome machine.

I'll be looking for something more practical that I can daily and take the whole family in..... perhaps a used E63 wagon.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Best years are ahead. Congrats.
This is STRICTLY my opinion ... If it's not a financial reason you're selling, and this car is a car you've always wanted, remember how stressful raising one child was, and multiply that. You're going to need time to unwind, and tooling around in that car will help. Ask me how I know ... I bought my '66 (I know different section) when my two boys were one and two, and our third came three years after. And yeah, who can't use more money, but after working long hours, changing a lot of diapers, being woken in the middle of many nights, ... you get the idea... having a little time for a quick spin - with my wife when babysitting was available- just recharged us both.
Nice car. GLWS
The following 2 users liked this post by cor66vette:
ckvoss (03-24-2019), Hopper12 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by cor66vette
Best years are ahead. Congrats.
This is STRICTLY my opinion ... If it's not a financial reason you're selling, and this car is a car you've always wanted, remember how stressful raising one child was, and multiply that. You're going to need time to unwind, and tooling around in that car will help. Ask me how I know ... I bought my '66 (I know different section) when my two boys were one and two, and our third came three years after. And yeah, who can't use more money, but after working long hours, changing a lot of diapers, being woken in the middle of many nights, ... you get the idea... having a little time for a quick spin - with my wife when babysitting was available- just recharged us both.
Nice car. GLWS
Totally agree with the above. My son traveled with me at 7yrs old to get my first Vette. My daughter was 4. I was 32 at the time, and I bought a new C5 Z06. I had a DD and so did my wife, so it was always a 3rd (or 4th) vehicle. Lingenfelter twin-turbo'd that bad boy about 2 years later, and I have kept it as the original owner. About 3 months ago, my now 24 yr old son bought the car from me. He's obviously grown up around fast stuff and is a gearhead like me, so Corvettes and other fast cars have been a hobby for us for a long time now.

But to the point above... if you don't need/have to sell it, and you have the garage space, I'd consider keeping it and enjoying a car you've always wanted. Before you know it, your kids will be old enough to take one of them to school in, etc. Certainly you can't take the entire family out in it, but the family will enjoy the car, and so will you... on some of those "wind down" drives home from work or play.
ckvoss (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 PM
ckvoss
Advanced

I appreciate the points. It has been a ton of fun while I've had it, but I really feel now is the time for it to live with someone who can give it more attention. I have no doubt that in a 10 or 15 years I'll be on the lookout for another chrome bumper C3. Though, next time I will be looking for a restomod that I won't have to agonize about the originality and making sure that any replacement parts are correct (owning a numbers matching Vette, I feel obligated to keep it in as original condition as possible). In the mean time I will find something that is both practical and fun (I'm really leaning towards a 2014 E63 wagon). Also, my dad has a C7 Z06 and lives down the street, so the kids will get plenty of exposure to Corvettes.
The following 2 users liked this post by ckvoss:
cor66vette (03-24-2019), WA 2 FST (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by ckvoss
I appreciate the points. It has been a ton of fun while I've had it, but I really feel now is the time for it to live with someone who can give it more attention. I have no doubt that in a 10 or 15 years I'll be on the lookout for another chrome bumper C3. Though, next time I will be looking for a restomod that I won't have to agonize about the originality and making sure that any replacement parts are correct (owning a numbers matching Vette, I feel obligated to keep it in as original condition as possible). In the mean time I will find something that is both practical and fun (I'm really leaning towards a 2014 E63 wagon). Also, my dad has a C7 Z06 and lives down the street, so the kids will get plenty of exposure to Corvettes.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:51 PM
ckvoss
Advanced

Bump. Now $36,999 OBO
Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM
ckvoss
Advanced

Bump!
Old 04-15-2019, 11:52 PM
ckvoss
Advanced

Bump. Now $35,999 OBO
Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

you are doing a good thing... you can find a cheaper hobby lol
Originally Posted by ckvoss

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 454 LS-5 Coupe Numbers Matching

Quick Reply: FS: 1971 454 LS-5 Coupe Numbers Matching