Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1981 Corvette - bent frame - fix or parts car

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:26 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1981 Corvette - bent frame - fix or parts car

Hello all,
Putting on the market my 1981 Corvette that went into a ditch last year, bending the frame and sustaining body damage. See original thread on it here for some history:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597761997

I have not gotten the damage appraised at all, it could be something fixable without extensive and expensive repairs, if so some one will get the deal of a lifetime. But I am assuming it will need extensive, possible frame off, repair, and pricing it with that in mind. To be honest even before the accident I know longer drove it much, so it needed a new home. Please put it back on the road.
This car I purchased from a CorvetteForum member years ago, obviously she has been modified extensively and the engine rebuilt after purchase. Some of the improvements and modifications I can think of:
  • body kit (obviously) probably put on sometime in the late 80s
  • Candy Apple Paint beautiful in it's day, probably put on sometime in the late 80s.
  • 4 bolt chevy 350 (or 355), rebuilt about 10 years ago and with maybe 5,000 miles on it at most. Sorry, numbers matching original engine long gone.
  • Engine, from memory, has a performance Comp Cams camshaft (magnum 280), aluminum L98 heads that were ported by previous owner, Edelbrock RPM intake, 750 double pumper, dual headers. I used to take it drag racing and its good for low 13's in the quarter (best - 13.08).
  • Transmission - 700R4 with some quick shift modification kits.
  • Suspension completely rebuilt about ten years ago. Zero rust. Been garage kept all the time in my possession (over 15 years).
  • Gears have been changed to tire burning 3.7
  • Front seats are not the original torn up vinyl. Those were replaced with some extremely comfortable cloth seats about 10 years ago custom made by a vendor who's customer never picked it up.
  • Other smaller stuff - new alternators, fuel pumps, aftermarket steering wheel, radiator, tranny cooler, added a in dash timing change thingee, changed the speedometer from the lame 80 MPH stock one. Some done by prior owner, some done by me. Ahh, the memories, some I have forgotten. So many changes and blood spilled in that car during the process that I can call it a relative.
  • A/C deleted by Bubba*
  • on dash tachometer added by Bubba*
The car starts and drives, albeit with the nuisance starter issue noted below. I have driven it around the neighborhood but since the accident, even with adjusting the front, it doesn't feel right, it "wobbles" for lack of a better term, and I strongly suggest for safety reasons it be towed or trailered away.
The accident also pulled out the speedometer cable, which also ether because of this or some other bottom damage incurred from sliding 300 feet in grass, a pretty bad transmission leak. The radiator cowl is chewed up from the fan eating at it. As for existing problems before the accident, it ran great, it ran strong, it ran fast, except for a consistent starter alignment issue, in spite of all the shims that I would add or subtract. Bubba* put some holes in the bottom fiberglass which he replaced by patch kits and spray paint.
*just call me Bubba
With this purchase, I have a box full of various parts I will throw in - old transsimision, water pumps, front seats, old starters, old carbs and carb parts, and whatnot. The 1981 "Corvette Assembly Manual, etc.
Selling Price, as a parts car, $3,000. Negotiable, particularly if you promise to put back in the streets in original form. I live in the Memphis metro area. Send PM and we will work it out.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Wish I was closer. That's a great deal . G L W S
Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Thanks. And I am motivated to sell and ready to deal. It's been in the corvette forum family (myself and a previous owner) for a long time so I want to start with you guys before I move to Craigslist or Ebay.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:46 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I have a 1981 rolling frame someone may want in addition to this car or the seller may want . calipers ,rear end the whole 9 ( I am not bombing our sale just offering some possible help to you or others) NYS is the location of it .
Old 04-30-2019, 04:14 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Originally Posted by diehrd
I have a 1981 rolling frame someone may want in addition to this car or the seller may want . calipers ,rear end the whole 9 ( I am not bombing our sale just offering some possible help to you or others) NYS is the location of it .
Anything that bumps this up is all good my friend.
Really, my frame is totally rust free as well so if they have the means to take it to the frame they might have the means to also straighten the frame. Who know, there might be ways to straighten it while still on the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Corvette - bent frame - fix or parts car

Quick Reply: FS: 1981 Corvette - bent frame - fix or parts car