Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 71 Conv. War Bonnet/Saddle Lots of restoratio. South TX

Old 05-30-2019, 02:48 AM
Mike Lera
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 71 Conv. Lots of restoration. Lowered Price $23,000 firm

Lowered Price to $23,000 Firm

For sale: 1971 Corvette ConvertiWar Bonnet Yellow with Saddle interior. Matching number 350 automatic.

Components replaced: No receipts, but you can physically see that all these parts are New. I have looked all these parts up and did the math. They add up to over $5,300.
  1. New Black Convertible Top with all new weather-stripping
  2. New vinyl seat covers and foam kit
  3. Original seat belts were sent off and restored.
  4. New carpet and matts
  5. New storage compartment trays
  6. New parking brake handle assembly & console with T armrest- vinyl
  7. New center console, console assembly and ash tray
  8. New center dash trim console gauge bezel assembly
  9. New door panels with trim and inside door handles
  10. New door sill plates and weather-strip
  11. New interior review mirror
  12. New sun visors
  13. New tach drive gear and cable
  14. New heater core
  15. New power brake booster
  16. New GM heater hose kit and water pump
  17. New aluminized exhaust and mufflers
  18. New stainless-steel exhaust tips
  19. New license plate bezel
  20. Rear bumpers re-chromed

Components that are new or have been rebuilt, with receipts: All receipts add up to $8,700
  1. Rebuilt trailing arms, bearing assemblies, swing arm bushing and new shocks.
  2. Rear-end differential rebuilt.
  3. New u-joints on driveshaft & half shafts.
  4. Transmission rebuilt with reverse cushion kit installed.
  5. Front control arm bushings replaced, new shocks installed and new BFG white letter tires.
  6. Front and rear rotors replaced.
  7. Complete tune-up with points, condenser, cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, and oil filter.
  8. Just installed a new Interstate Battery on 5-22-19

So, within the last 3-4 years this car has had approximately $14,000 worth of parts and labor put into it.

Interior:

The interior condition is easily a 9.5+ on a 10 scale. The only issues on the inside of the car are is one of the dash lights intermittingly goes of and on when you hit a bump, a loose connection I’m sure. The right-side blinker indicator has the same intermitting issue. All other interior lights work even the fiber optic lights, floor lights and the push button seatbelt light. The speedometer is a little slow to work sometimes, but after driving it for 30 minutes or so it works fine. The tach works with no issues. I have multiple classic cars and I only drive this car every few months. I’m in Texas and the summers are a quite hot for a convertible during the summer months. This car usually only gets driven in the spring and fall.

Exterior:

The car retains its original color of War Bonnet Yellow. It appears to have only one re-spray done many years ago and was done in lacquer. The paint is very presentable and has a great old lacquer patina. I personally would not repaint this car. The lacquer paint has a different look and appeal compared to a basecoat/clearcoat plastic looking paint job. Personal preference I guess? Whomever did the last paintwork looks to have blocked the car down and put a light coat of lacquer back on. At certain times of the day and at certain angles you can vaguely see the bonding areas. This tells me that there is very little paint on the car. It also shows the car has never had any collision damage. If someone were wanting to repaint this car it would be easy considering the car has very little paint. I thought about blocking it with 1500 and buffing it out but I was afraid there isn’t enough paint on the car and didn’t want to chance it. The paint is somewhat deceiving. Depending on the time of day the car looks dark gold. Then other times when it’s in the sun it sparkles like a piece of shiny gold. You will notice that in the pictures I post. The paint on the sides is a little better than the top. The top has what I call a slight lacquer craze but still looks good. The bumpers on the rear have been re-chromed and are virtually perfect. The front bumper has not and is about an 8 on a 10 scale. Headlight operation is great; they open and close very fast. The hideaway wiper door operates as it should. It has the original spare tire and cover. The convertible top is new and is in perfect condition. The windshield is in perfect condition with no cracks, wiper scratches or delamination. With the original windshield in this great of condition the car had to have been well cared for its whole life. There is no rust in the birdcage and the frame is in excellent condition. The only real flaw on the exterior of the car is a crack on the front spoiler under the front license plate where someone pulled up too close to a parking curb, but it’s small.

Engine:

The car has its original matching number engine and runs great with 62,167 miles. It appears that the engine has never been out of the car. It starts right up, the choke holds idle at about 1300 rpms, let it warm up a few minutes, tap the accelerator and it idles down to about 850 rpms. The intake, valve covers, and water pump have been repainted, but the block looks like it still has its original paint. All the original ignition shielding is in place and in excellent condition. The engine is 48 years old and has 62,000 miles on it. It leaks a little oil and has a little blow by, but it still runs great.

Air Conditioning:

The car came equipped with air conditioning. Not currently working. The prior owner said when he purchased the car it was not working. He had the AC Serviced and the receipt states that there was a bad wire and block relay. It was serviced with two cans of freon and was working but he said it leaks down after a few weeks. I never pursued the problem because when I drove it the top was always down.

Documents:
  9. I have the original window sticker but it’s in poor condition. It’s hard to read the writing on the left side of the page. On the right side you can read the cost of the options the car came with. It has $834 worth of options. I looked them up and they are air conditioning, power brakes, power steering, white stripe tires and AM/FM radio which does not work. There is also a wheel and trim ring sheet and a consumer information pamphlet. Plus, I have the receipts for the work listed above. Also have a document where the car was professionally appraised for over 30K and was rated as #2 condition.

History & Information:

I purchased the car several years ago from a retired Continental Airline pilot. He said this was his retirement project to keep him busy. He said the car was in very good condition when he bought it, but he wanted to make it even nicer. He said he did all the drivetrain and suspension work because even though there were no issues, it didn’t change the fact that it was a 40-year-old car. He said that he had a great time working on and enjoying the car for several years. But, he had just moved into a gated golf course community and didn’t have room at the house and did not want it sitting in a storage facility. The only thing I have done since purchasing the car was re-paint the wheels. The original ralley’s were a little dull and scratched. I had them blasted epoxy primed and painted silver. I have the caps and rings but chose not to put them on. I like the look without caps & rings. Plus, I didn’t want to scratch the new paint. So, I painted the dust caps a cast metal color and installed chrome lug nuts. The next guy can scratch up the rims. The car runs great, no shakes, no rattles and it tracks down the road great. I’ve owned more than a few Corvettes over the last 30 years and this is definitely one of the nicest. But I prefer my C2 and have my eye on another one. This is the reason this one is for sale. If you are a C3 person this is a great car. The C3 is starting to come up in value and quality cars will start getting harder to come by. If your going to own one it should be a convertible. They are the most desirable and bring the most money. The car is located in Texas City, Texas 77590 just south of Houston. I have done my best to describe the condition of the car but if you have any questions you can call or text 409-771-4455[ I will return your text or call ASAP. I’m a shift worker and not always available. Thanks, Mike.

Pros:

Extremely nice well-kept car its entire life. Matching number low mile convertible. Most all the drivetrain has been rebuilt. All the interior has been restored. New Top. Very easy car to take to the next level.

Cons:

AC needs to be repaired. The lacquer paint is 25-30 years old. Has two intermitting interior lights. The original engine has 62,000 miles and leaks a little oil. The donut gasket on the right side is leaking. I work in an oil refinery and I have been on a turn around for over a month straight and have not had the time to address it. It should be an easy fix. The power steering pump makes a little noise if you turn the wheel when the car is not rolling, but when rolling it’s quiet. This is a very nice unmolested 50-year-old C3 in excellent condition. If you are looking for a C3, this is a great quality car.

Price: $23,500

Last edited by Mike Lera; 06-25-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Lowering price
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Lera:
DueVette (05-30-2019), Greg (04-26-2021)
Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 AM
DueVette
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mike,

That‘s a really nice example of an authentic 1971 C3 convertible at a very interesting price, and with a perfect description. And hey, it‘s War Bonnet Yellow! I‘m sure it will find a new owner in a breeze.

w/kind regards from Ol‘Germany
Roland
Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 PM
bmackrell
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike,

Do you have any pictures of the undercarriage that you could post?

Regards,

BillMac
Old 06-02-2019, 01:05 AM
Mike Lera
Heel & Toe

I don't have any pictures of the undercarriage. I don't know anyone with a lift. I can lift it up with a floor jack and try to get some pictures. I'm on vacation in a week and plan on getting the exhaust donut leak fixed. I can take some pictures then. It has a clean undercarriage. This is a nice car.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:30 AM
DueVette
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill is right, Mike,

undercarriage pictures are always helpful, even if they are done with a smartphone

w/kind regards from Ol‘Germany
Roland
Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM
robmccon
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great color, good description. GLWS!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

GLWS...free weekend bump!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:24 PM
Mike Lera
Heel & Toe

I lowered the price...Someone give me a bump.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:50 AM
DavidRH
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised this car is not sold! What’s the new price?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:19 PM
Mike Lera
Heel & Toe

Default Previous price was $25,500. My lowest price is $23,000 Thanks, Mike.

Previous price was $25,500. My lowest price is $23,000.
The following users liked this post:
DINO84 (06-09-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 08:26 PM
bmackrell
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike, Did you ever sell this car?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:31 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Mike i sent a PM. Is the car still for sale? My cousin in Ohio want's it
Old 04-26-2021, 12:30 PM
DV8Cellars
2nd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Is this car still available?
Old 04-26-2021, 01:17 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Interested, still available???
Old 06-09-2021, 06:45 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I know his dad, I can call and ask about the car.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:02 PM
ramtour2
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m interested as well. It would be great to see the sills removed and photos of the areas inside the kick panels if that’s the right term.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:03 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

5 posts asking about availability… the OP has not logged onto the site in a year.

Maybe sending PMs would be more effective.

OP can request we reopen if he wants the thread active.
The following users liked this post:
SeeThrees (11-06-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Conv. War Bonnet/Saddle Lots of restoratio. South TX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FS: 71 Conv. War Bonnet/Saddle Lots of restoratio. South TX