C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone use "40 Below" coolant additive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Anyone use "40 Below" coolant additive?

I'm tired of seeing my coolant temps running 230 to 235 degrees... It just makes me uncomfortable. I want to add something like this product called "40 Below" to help bring temperatures down.... It is 24.99 at Mid America. What about "Redline Water Wetter"?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:12 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try cleaning between the radiator and the condenser first. I bet there's a lot of junk in there.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:13 PM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '04

- I was running quite hot a couple times. First time it was my water pump dying, second time, I removed the radiator shroud, and it looked like a birds nest in there!!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:32 PM
js292
Burning Brakes

use the redline stuff in my mx bike, helped out quite about. no more overheating on the starting line
Old 03-10-2005, 03:21 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Additives will not help keep the car cool if the system is not in good shape. The biggest problem with C4's is the junk that accumulates in front of the A/C condensor and radiator.

Get all of the junk out of there by directing a stream of water from the back side of the radiator through the coils and keep the fins clear and you should have very little problem.

As radiators get old, the walls of the cooling tubes get thin and the ability to transfer heat decreases. If the cooling system is not kept clean with regular flushes, then you can also get buildup of minerals and rust that will clog the tubes and reduce the flow of coolant.

You should do a complete cooling system flush every two or three years and refill with the proper coolant in at least a 50-50 mix which should be good for -37 degrees.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:04 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

When I got my 87 in 01, I started off by redoing the cooling system first. Being it was my second vette, I knew what had to be done.
1.) Replace radiator with a new Modine Unit
2.) Replace Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses
3.) Throughouly clean radiator cavity
4.) Install 160deg. stat
5.) Install MAD Low Temp. Cooling Fan Switch (On 190/Off 170); wired switch up to turn on both Main & Aux. fan.
6.) Dump in a bottle of Water Wetter.

Haven't seen any higher than 210, and that was on a 110deg day, in traffic with the A/C on.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:08 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I used RedLine last summer. It dropped the normal temp down from about 215 to 195.
I agree it should not be used to try and fix a problem with junk infront of the rad or junk inside the rad.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:38 AM
wake
Race Director

Originally Posted by glerma
I'm tired of seeing my coolant temps running 230 to 235 degrees... It just makes me uncomfortable. I want to add something like this product called "40 Below" to help bring temperatures down.... It is 24.99 at Mid America. What about "Redline Water Wetter"?
I used this stuff in my old 88 IROC and replaced the radiator the next month after the car started overheating everytime I drove it... The car didn't have any overheating problems before I used this crap, I just wanted to see if it actually worked... Never again will I use this crap...

I flushed the radiator and block probably a dozen times to get that crap out, it was like sludge....

If you want to lower your temps and you cooling system is in good shape, get a cooler temp switch and you'll get your lower temps...

Last edited by wake; 03-11-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

Default Redline

I used redline last summer after a couple of months after Flushing radiator. Didn't seem to make any difference car still ran around 200 Degrees before and after.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:22 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Why don't you try....

Try a good system cleaning (flush) and replace with 50/50 dexcool. Cleaning the space between the radiator and the A/C condensor. The above will reduce your temps. more than any cooling product. Theres no shortcuts for keeping temps under control.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

This product reminds me of the airfoil. Companies will make anything and everything when they have buyers that support their efforts at producing them.

There is no miracle liquid that will reduce operating temperatures 20-30 degrees. I don't care what they claim, it's just not possible. You need to get to the root of the problem. Placing a bandaid on the wound won't heal it.

Follow the recommendations given by the forum members, relating to your radiator. This will probably solve much of your problem.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:42 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

In years of owning many cars the only time I ever had a radiator problem was several months after using "40 Below". All my radiators were always shiney clean even after 80 90K miles but this 85 Corvette, which started out having bright clean internal cooling fins/plates ( for 10 years) was totally gummed up after the "40 Below"- I had never seen brown sludge like this before.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:44 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I was overheating and had a good radiator shop do a flush and replace with 50/50 "green coolant". Still running what i thought was high, so i put a 160 in it, even tho i don't think that changes much and it didn't seem to. Then i cleaned out this area with a vacuum cleaner that helped some more. Then i added "water wetter" didn't notice much of a change but a day or so after that i had steam coming from under the hood from a pinhole in this hose , it may have leaked out a few ounces before it cooled off enough to fix. Since then if haven't seen the temps over 195. Evidently i wasn't "burping" it correctly at the thermo housing or i should have 'burped" it while it was on ramps. I think i will change the stat back to a 180 so the car will warm up faster, and the coolant looks like this about a year after adding the water wetter. Thumbnails link to bigger pics.

Last edited by dndrsn; 03-12-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:35 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by dndrsn
I was overheating and had a good radiator shop do a flush and replace with 50/50 "green coolant". Still running what i thought was high, so i put a 160 in it, even tho i don't think that changes much and it didn't seem to. Then i cleaned out this area with a vacuum cleaner that helped some more. Then i added "water wetter" didn't notice much of a change but a day or so after that i had steam coming from under the hood from a pinhole in this hose , it may have leaked out a few ounces before it cooled off enough to fix. Since then if haven't seen the temps over 195. Evidently i wasn't "burping" it correctly at the thermo housing or i should have 'burped" it while it was on ramps. I think i will change the stat back to a 180 so the car will warm up faster, and the coolant looks like this about a year after adding the water wetter. Thumbnails link to bigger pics.
It's folks like you that really make this forum above and beyond... Thanks!! Thanks to everyone else who has provided input. I'm off to tackle my cooling problem.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Alzado77
Racer

Of course cleaning the radiator etc in priority #1. Is your corvette only running 235 when it is sitting or is it running that temperature when cruising? If the temp is fine when driving it but only running 235 when it is sitting such as in traffic then you need to simply get someone to burn you a custom chip to turn the fans on lower. I had a fellow forum member (TJWONG) burn me a custom chip that turns the fans on earlier. My temps never go over 190 now even on 100 degree days sitting in traffic. Best modification I've bought so far! Al

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use "40 Below" coolant additive?

Quick Reply: Anyone use "40 Below" coolant additive?