What is the collectiability of the B2K Callaway Twin

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:01 AM
4FUN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default What is the collectiability of the B2K Callaway Twin

What is the collectiability of the B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes? Are they too "special" to drive if you have one? How is the maintence on a B2K?

Is there a special web site like the ZR-1 site? I've not been able to locate one. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Personally I would say as collectible as a ZR1 if not more so, here is a link to Callaway owner's group: http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/

Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

They are very collectably cars. Really fast too!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:39 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

That is the most note worthy vette to own in my honest opinion. While I agree in the investment part of owning one of these, don't buy it just to let it sit and collect dust. If anything, limit the miles you put on it, but don't just let it sit. It's a Corvette on steroids and begs to be driven hard.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 4FUN
What is the collectiability of the B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes? Are they too "special" to drive if you have one? How is the maintence on a B2K?

Is there a special web site like the ZR-1 site? I've not been able to locate one. Any help is greatly appreciated.
There is a Callaway only forum over on the Corvetteactioncenter web site. There were only a few hundred cars made so there's not a lot of traffic for a sponsored forum.

Chris Chessnoe here '*89x2*' has two, writes about them in Corvette Enthusiast, and has other connections with Callaway. He gets to drive some of the best of them.

The most desirable cars, including THE Sledgehammer, have gone in the low 200s at Barret-Jackson. Normal B2K cars go from low 20s for cars that need work to maybe 45-50 gs in private sales. There is not a lot of turnover in these cars, and it seems like every Callaway owner knows each car's history.

The good thing about them is that Callaway continues to rebuild anything on them when they need freshening, and continues to offer very desirable options. So if you buy a car that doesn't have *everything*, you can have most anything added by Callaway and it counts as a real Callaway option to add value. Unlike ZR1s where you are on your own, i.e. mod and destroy value.

If I could buy one I would not drive it much because there is a lot of appreciation ahead for them.

Last edited by FELNGR8; 03-23-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

If you look at Barrett-Jackson auctions the ones they have sold get a good $$$$
Old 03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Sorry to hijack but doesn't the Callaway just have an L98 with a twin turbo setup and some expert tuning? I know stock L98's have 9.5:1 compression. What about the Callaway's motor? Would it even be possible to order a Callaway kit for mine?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xeugep
Sorry to hijack but doesn't the Callaway just have an L98 with a twin turbo setup and some expert tuning? I know stock L98's have 9.5:1 compression. What about the Callaway's motor? Would it even be possible to order a Callaway kit for mine?
The standard B2K has a reworked TPI manifold like yours. The Sledgehammer had a special manifold called the 100+ more like the LT1/LT4 manifold, which may be available soon for Callaway owners wanting it. At a very large price.

The B2K has totally upgraded internals to withstand the boost from the twin turbos. The boost would trash your standard L98 immediately. It is not a bolt-on kit, believe me.

I do not believe that Callaway will undertake an upgrade now on any C4 car that was not originally a Callaway. You'll be able to buy stage kits for your C6, and some of them are available right now.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by xeugep
I am pretty sure that the compression on the B2K's is 7.4 :1. But is Chris chimes in, (and I'm sure he will eventually) he will know for sure.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:05 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

you have to be stuck up to own one.....according to some other thread

------------>>>>>>>>>>>>

Awesome car to own if you can afford to buy one.

Last edited by ConeKLR; 03-23-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I see the b2k appreciation to be very high. The numbers are way less than ZR1 and the only outside factory contracted Vette, EVER!

A few facts....

The motor was pulled from the car and completely gone thru by Callaway. 7.5:1 was the cr when it left Callaway, bullet proof bottom end, stock heads. The TPI was stock but black crinkle coated.

When you ordered b2k....Special equipment group Z5G was triggered which included, big brakes, long air damn, oil cooler among others.

No, you can't buy a TT kit from Callaway. Supposedly there were ~1500 separate/different parts used that weren't in the stock Vette. The frame was modified etc. The first cars took hundreds of hours to complete, they got it down to 40 when the program was done.

Yes, Callaway is totally supporting b2k owners. They recently retooled the turbos that had been discontinued and put them back in production! no small feat!

None of us drive our cars a whole lot...some WAY less than others

And as stated before they are VERY fast.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 03-23-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:11 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Callaway's are lot of fun to own and very drivable, I drive mine just about every day to work. There was a lot more done to the engine then just slapping a couple of turbos on and retuning the engine. In 1987 you ordered the car directly from a dealer with the B2K opption. The car was built in BG and sent to Callaway, where all the rework was done. Callaway completely rebuilt the engine, added the turbos, intercoolers, modified the hood and did a multitude of other upgrades. My car for example had a 1987 sticker price of just $33,042, the Callaway option was another $25,985 -- bringing the total price to just under $60k.

As far as compression, it is 7.5:1 and max boost is 10psi, giving her 385 bhp and 454 ft lbs RW torque at @ 3000 rpm. Rated top speed is 185 -- mine has done 184.

These cars are quality products, built to last and be driven -- and they are very fast. And with so few being built, they are very collectable
Old 03-23-2005, 09:31 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Whew, a lot of good info already here

Callaway Corvettes will, and are some of the most collectable Corvettes made to date. They have a certain historic status as a milestone, as the only RPO ever given to an outside firm - Callaway Cars actually took over GM's in house turbo program for the C4 when GM's project failed miserably.
Set to be an interim model before the ZR1, once that car was released, the B2K's were overshadowed by GM's marketing of the ZR1 but not eclipsed in performance

Prices leveled off on these cars about 3 or 4 years ago and in some cases, cars seem to be commanding a few more dollars these days

Big Power and Low production numbers make the B2K a star for the future market - they have all the right stuff!

If you are looking for a Callaway to drive every day without regard, a SuperNatural Callaway may be just the ticket
Available with the same pretty wrapper (AeroBody) or a stealthy stock body, these cars (based on the LT1/4) were 383's with even a ZR1 SNAT avail. as well

For more Callaway info, check out www.callawayownersgroup.com

- there is also a link on the top bar of the site, for the Callaway forum to reach out to the many Callaway Corvette Owners & Enthusiasts

I hope this helps - Chris
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 PM
KAZ2
Instructor

#104 built in 1987 is on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

really a head turner, nice to look at and very low miles
Old 03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
I
None of us drive our cars a whole lot...some WAY less than others
I guess I should recant that statement and say "not many of us...."
Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
I guess I should recant that statement and say "not many of us...."
Well I guess I should clarify a little, I only drive on good days (which we have a lot of here in AZ), I only work about 5 miles from work (on base) and I have a very nice designated parking space
Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NightFlight
Well I guess I should clarify a little, I only drive on good days (which we have a lot of here in AZ), I only work about 5 miles from work (on base) and I have a very nice designated parking space
Just saw this old thread. I have to say, from a recent ride in a showroom mint midnight blue/saddle 89 6 speed coupe, it is a lot nicer car than my c6 z06, overall IMO, and from a 30 roll runs right with it.

The quiet whistle and 600 ft lbs of torque is amazing. The seats blow away any vette seats since, and i personally think the interior is much nicer overall, in a very 1980's way. The 6 speed shifts really cleanly and the handling is very neutral. Just a very nice car.

Considering that it is the only turbo vette, is the highest performance vette made from 1969 all the way to probably 2006, has the unique rpo code history, and is extremely limited production, I think these cars are THE investment vettes from the period, and I expect 6 figure sales to start kicking in by the 30 year mark.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:10 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Yes the Callaway twin turbo vettes are very desirable, good clean low mile Callaway corvettes are very collectible.

Here is one in Australia, immaculate looks like new and even smells like new inside. Yes it is a rocket sled on wheels.

It has been sold to a lucky new owner to make way for a Callaway C6 which is a supercharged white knuckle scary ride, he just loves unleashing the horsepower at track days.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by theseal
Just saw this old thread. I have to say, from a recent ride in a showroom mint midnight blue/saddle 89 6 speed coupe, it is a lot nicer car than my c6 z06, overall IMO, and from a 30 roll runs right with it.
You bought that car right?

Get notified of new replies

To What is the collectiability of the B2K Callaway Twin

Quick Reply: What is the collectiability of the B2K Callaway Twin