C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

camaro vs. vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Schism427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default camaro vs. vette

hey guys, i usually stick to the C5 and C6 sections but i figured you all might be the best to ask this, i currently own a 98 Camaro ss (LS1) i love my car but im thinking of trading for an LT1 corvette i have never driven one seriously, so my question is for those of you who have owned or extensively driven both, would i be taking a step back in performance? What are the pros and cons of both cars? any comments guys? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:15 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

I have a 96 CE with an LT4. I have driven several Camaros and TA's as that was what I intended to buy when I stumbled across this car. Stock for stock, the cars seem to be relatively equal... but the LS1 seems to respond a lot better to mods than teh LTx cars.

For what it's worth, you won't go wrong with a vette either way. It is just a whole different class of car. I will always have a love in my heart for Fbodies, but after my purchase, i won't go back to one anytime soon.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an LT4....... you'll never regret the change.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
19corvette91
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

only f-body i would consider is a 68 RS (just cuz it looks bad ***)

theres more to cars than just straight line acceleration
Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 PM
LT1CORVETTE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are talking strait line, I think the ls1ss camero's have some more grunt. Not much, but a little. I think they have about 20hp over the lt1 and about the same torque. So if you are looking for strait line power, stay with the camero. If you are looking for more of the all around package, the Vette would be a good upgrade. Handling in the vette is much better. I am a Vette guy, so I have a biased opinion, but I love my Vette. Corvettes are timeless, even if it is a few years older. I would recommend finding a used car lot with one and taking it out and scaring the salesman. Then if you like it, buy another one from a private party. That is the best way you can get a first hand idea.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:01 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

totally... and I still consider myself an Fbody guy!!! There is a night and day comparison between the F and Y body cars. The F bodies are excellent contenders in all aspects and in my opinion, they are the best pony car to be produced... it is sad that they killed the line up. But when you take the technology advantage, the prestine workmanship, the prowess, and the overall ability of the C4, there is no comparison!!!

Take on out on a test drive as stated above... get on her a bit in the open to feel the difference in stance and power... then hit the twisties The corvette will stay planted to teh tarmac while teh Fbodies will feel like a land barge with a JATO rocket strapped to the roof. To give one more point of consideration... the Corvette was Chevy's economical answer to the Euro supercars. Cars that have reputations forged on the concrete of the Autobahn and the souls of the cars they dust along the way. This is the attitude put into the production of these machines... along with the Corvette. Although the technolgy eventually filtered down to the Fbodies, the vette is the American answer to the supercars.

Last edited by kwik_ta; 07-14-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Phantom90
Racer

I sold my two Z28s a 1995 and a 1980 to get my 1990 vette. SO that is even more of a loss for me going from an LT1 in the 95 to a L98 in the vette that is more of a loss than you would experience getting an LT1 from a LS1.
I do not regret it at all. The power you lose can easily be made up in one modification.
I still love Camaros but I never plan on owning another one. As far as cars go I will always own a Corvette, its a totally different ball game.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Midnight89
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My humble opinion is pretty much consistent with everyone else's so far. I love the F-bodies. I'm a particularly big fan of the last few years of the Camaro SS with the LS1 motor. Great cars and they're pretty quick in a straight line. Straight line performance would be similar, with maybe a slight edge going to the Camaro SS, but the ride and feel of the Corvette (especially in the curves) is far superior to that of the Camaro. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Corvette...because it's a Corvette! But my opinion really doesn't matter, because it's really all about what's going to make you happier!!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having driven both I can tell you that once you drive a C4 Vette you'll never go back. The F-body is a fine car but it has got nothing on the Vette in the handling department. The LT1 doesn't make quite as much power as the LT1 stock, but it can easily be modded to kick the crap out of a STOCK LS1. For ultimate power you'll want to stick with the LS1 F-body.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
myvettesblue
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
I have a 96 CE with an LT4. I have driven several Camaros and TA's as that was what I intended to buy when I stumbled across this car. Stock for stock, the cars seem to be relatively equal... but the LS1 seems to respond a lot better to mods than teh LTx cars.

For what it's worth, you won't go wrong with a vette either way. It is just a whole different class of car. I will always have a love in my heart for Fbodies, but after my purchase, i won't go back to one anytime soon.
I ONCE TO WAS AN F-BODY FREAK BUT HAVE NOW SWITCHED AND WOULDNT GO BACK
Old 07-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Darth Vader
Pro

Corvette is 10 times better and more upscale than a Camaro..
Old 07-14-2005, 04:40 PM
75 Red Vert
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Having driven both I can tell you that once you drive a C4 Vette you'll never go back. The F-body is a fine car but it has got nothing on the Vette in the handling department. The LT1 doesn't make quite as much power as the LT1 stock, but it can easily be modded to kick the crap out of a STOCK LS1. For ultimate power you'll want to stick with the LS1 F-body.
Ditto. Prior owner of 2001 Z28 & 1967 Camaro RS.

Handling is far superior in my C4 than ever was in the Z28. Straight line, the Camaro is great.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Shore
Safety Car

I went from this..

to this..

I couldn't be happier..the Fowmula was fun but it's not a Vette...even a 6 year difference and I will take the Vette anyday for a toy.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:17 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
Corvette is 10 times better and more upscale than a Camaro..
I wouldn't say 10 times better or more upscale... it depends on who's eyes are viewing the options. The Camaro has pretty much the same drive train as the vette and costs a ton less!!! For straight shot 1320's the Camaro is the way to go... plus this is the difference between an LS1 vs an LT1!!! for drag racing... hands down the LS1 is king of this arguement.

Upscale again depends on what the purpose is. A corvette only seats 2 people and according to GM can only hold 100lbs of cargo in the bay area... not exactly practical now is it. Secondly the vette is of a different status of the two cars... that doesn't mean it is more or less upscale, it simply means that it is designed for a different purpose. I agree that the vette is better overall... but use some facts to back your statement!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 PM
vette&f-bod lover
Burning Brakes

Ok,I love em both(see username) and owned enough of em(see sig)so
here are my pros and cons
Camaro(LS1)
1.is about .3-.4quicker in 1/4 when stock,(same trans)and is slightly faster from a roll,or on highway.
2.has more room easier entry/exit and backseats for whatever,comes in handy when you come back from a bar/club and 2 hot girls are too drunk to drive,and need a ride vette owner better call em a cab
3.parts are a little cheaper,more money for mods,dates
4.draw less attention from the cops,less money on tickets(see #3)
5.no PITA opti,vette owner has to take half the front of the engine to change or big$$$
Vette(LT1)
1.is slighly faster at the stoplights,good for embarrasing the camaro,and looking good on a date.
2.has that "cockpit"feel,nicer dash,more gadgets,and you can SEE the hood when driving,and only 2 seats,good for coming back from a club/bar,and 2 UGLY/fat girls are to drunk to drive and need a ride (can you say "taxi" )camaro guy takes em home.
3.will hold its value better,camaros rust.
4.draws more attention from women/more dates
5.when someone asks,"what do you drive"you cant wait to tell em a "vette"WOW REALLY"is a normal reply,compared to camaro guy,no matter how fast/nice"oh their nice"
GET THE VETTE

Last edited by vette&f-bod lover; 07-14-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:14 PM
drochau
Racer

Coming from a T/A I can say this:
The ltx motors are very very expensive to upgrade when compared to the lsx motors. With that being said the LT with the forged internals has proved to be essentially bullet proof. I'd say the overall ride (Z51) is very harsh, but the handling is superb and makes the T/A feel like a yugo in the corners.
Chicks-honestly they dug the t/a more than the 96'.
In car feeling-T/A felt like a drag car. 96' feels like a race car.
For me it was an easy decision. I love corvettes. all of them and the T/A was a poor substitution for getting into what I wanted. Besides, having the 96', most ricers leave me alone and worthy cars consider a serious race(due mostly to the procharge advertising itself with its inccessant squeal).
Try this, drive them both and then wait a week. You'll know for sure which one is better in your eyes, I know I did.
-Dave
Old 07-14-2005, 07:27 PM
myvettesblue
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
A corvette only seats 2 people and according to GM can only hold 100lbs of cargo in the bay area... not exactly practical now is it.
YOU MIGHT AS WELL SAY THE CAMARO ONLY SEATS 2 HAVE YOU EVER HAD TO RIDE IN THE BACK OF ONE IT SUCKS WE HAVE A 97 AND AS FAR AS THE CARGO AREA I CAN FIT JUST AS MUCH IN MY VETTE BUT YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS LIKE COMPARING BEANS TO CAVIAR. I AM NOT CUTTING EITHER ONE CAUSE I OWN THE VETTE AND MY WIFE OWNS THE CAMARO AND I LIKE THEM BOTH GRANTED THE CAMARO IS A V6 BUT IT IS STILL A NICE RIDE AND IS PRETTY SPUNKY FOR A V6

Get notified of new replies

To camaro vs. vette

Old 07-14-2005, 09:07 PM
rohde88
Instructor

I know you have a ton of replies, but if you are serious about this, then I know you'll read all the responses.

I had a slightly modded 2000 Z28 with poly bushings, 35mm swaybar, and bilsteins with an aggressive alignment. Compared to my 95 LT1 I think the ride is comparable and if anything the 'vette may be rougher. So suspension=wash.

But in a straight line the LT1 is severely lacking, it has enough torque to make you smile, but not the same visceral acceleration as the LS1.

Practicality is fine I usually only drive myself around so eliminating the backseat wasn't that big of a deal.

Overall, I think the Corvette has a certain air to it which makes it higher on the totem pole for people who don't only care about going fast. The Corvette goes pretty fast, but looks a lot better doing it (shhh looks better than a C5 too!)

$0.02 deposited.

Ron
Old 07-14-2005, 10:03 PM
rufneck
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default V6

Originally Posted by myvettesblue
MY WIFE OWNS THE CAMARO AND I LIKE THEM BOTH GRANTED THE CAMARO IS A V6 BUT IT IS STILL A NICE RIDE AND IS PRETTY SPUNKY FOR A V6

OK here's my .02 take the V6 model Vette out for a test drive and then make a comparison.

Get a Vette.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Which car has its own museum?

Quick Reply: camaro vs. vette