Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Re-Sealing Targa Top, Which Adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Flyingboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Sealing Targa Top, Which Adhesive?

I'm personally refurbishing my own clear targa top on my 86. The glass and base are in good condition. i have cleaned off the old adhesive and am ready to re-apply the adhesive.
What type of adhesive do I use? I checked and the sealant the factory uses is only available to the factory. Will general 3M winshield adhesive work? Has anyone done this?
I would have a professional do this, but neither a Corvette shop, nor the auto glass places I called in the Atlanta area seem to have done this or know how. And I don't want to spend the $$ on a refurb top when mine is so close to fine.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you can make some arrangements with the Melrose people to buy some adhesive.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Flyingboy
Instructor

Melrose people? How do i contact them?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyingboy
Melrose people? How do i contact them?
Here's their website. Contact info would be there.

Melrose T-Tops
Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Jelanib
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Flyingboy
I'm personally refurbishing my own clear targa top on my 86. The glass and base are in good condition. i have cleaned off the old adhesive and am ready to re-apply the adhesive.
What type of adhesive do I use? I checked and the sealant the factory uses is only available to the factory. Will general 3M winshield adhesive work? Has anyone done this?
I would have a professional do this, but neither a Corvette shop, nor the auto glass places I called in the Atlanta area seem to have done this or know how. And I don't want to spend the $$ on a refurb top when mine is so close to fine.
I know this is an old thread but I've been trying to find out what type of sealant is used to attach the acrylic top to the frame without any luck on the forums or any other sites. I found it after calling the dealership who referred me to a glass shop who referred me to yet again another glass shop but they were able to tell me exactly what type to use.

Weld-On #40
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lex...VE-IPS-40-PINT

It's a 2 part epoxy, something I've heard from others on the forum that is used by the factory. There's another thread where one member uses 3M Windshield Adhesive but it doesn't work. I haven't tried the Weld-On yet but the rep I spoke with said this is what you have to use when attaching acrylic tops. If anyone want a follow up, PM me or give me a holler and I'll give an update!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Jelanib
I know this is an old thread but I've been trying to find out what type of sealant is used to attach the acrylic top to the frame without any luck on the forums or any other sites.

Weld-On #40 It's a 2 part epoxy, something I've heard from others on the forum that is used by the factory. I haven't tried the Weld-On yet but the rep I spoke with said this is what you have to use when attaching acrylic tops.
The aluminum frame and the acrylic top have different thermal rates of expansion, so any adhesive you use needs to have enough flexibility, or the adhesive will crack! Most epoxys don't have this flexibility. I did the top on my '84 several years ago, using Dow Betaseal, which is used for replacing glued-in windshields. Search on Betaseal for my complete procedure.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Jelanib
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The aluminum frame and the acrylic top have different thermal rates of expansion, so any adhesive you use needs to have enough flexibility, or the adhesive will crack! Most epoxys don't have this flexibility. I did the top on my '84 several years ago, using Dow Betaseal, which is used for replacing glued-in windshields. Search on Betaseal for my complete procedure.

Hot Rod Roy, I wasn't able to find your complete procedure but I did come across your comment on another thread. I've heard that urethane adhesives for the windshield will peel off. There's another guy on the forum that did it with 3M Windshield adhesive and it didn't work.

I'm wondering if DOW Betaseal is a high modulus seal (flexibility). The key is to find something that will flex, like you said since we're dealing with two different materials. Can't argue with your results thought! Still holding up?

The place I spoke with is Ridout Plastics. They're the company the dealer outsources the tops to. That's the reason why I'm hesitant to choose between Weld-On 40 and Betaseal although I do appreciate your tips. Just don't want to do it twice if I don't have to!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Here's a quote on the Weld-on 40 from the Ridout Plastics website:

"BONDING RECOMMENDATIONS
WELD-ON 40 is recommended for bonding of acrylic plastics especially where good clarity retention is required. It is versatile having many applications in the sign industry and in the manufacturing and repair of aquariums, museum quality cases and other plastics fabrication industries."

As you can see, this is for bonding plastics with similar characteristics, not aluminum! Tight joints are required, and there is no resiliance! Translation: failure guaranteed!

Yes, my top is doing fine! It was 100 degrees here last week, and my car gets plenty of sunshine here in SoCal.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Jelanib
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Here's a quote on the Weld-on 40 from the Ridout Plastics website:

"BONDING RECOMMENDATIONS
WELD-ON 40 is recommended for bonding of acrylic plastics especially where good clarity retention is required. It is versatile having many applications in the sign industry and in the manufacturing and repair of aquariums, museum quality cases and other plastics fabrication industries."

As you can see, this is for bonding plastics with similar characteristics, not aluminum! Tight joints are required, and there is no resiliance! Translation: failure guaranteed!

Yes, my top is doing fine! It was 100 degrees here last week, and my car gets plenty of sunshine here in SoCal.

Thanks Hot Rod Roy! I'm going to go with your advice. Getting ready to order Betaseal U-418 and all my weatherstripping to do it next week. I did some digging and was able to find your procedure. As you know, this is going to save tons of $$ so thanks for all the tips! Didn't want to throw my money down the drain sending it to the shop or worse, buying a new one.

After that, gotta figure out what's up with my tranny then the car will be running strong!

Get notified of new replies

To Re-Sealing Targa Top, Which Adhesive?

Quick Reply: Re-Sealing Targa Top, Which Adhesive?