C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thoughts on this carfax:

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Scattershot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this carfax:

I had a Vette forum member run a carfax on this 1995 corvette. Should I pursue this or not.. Any thoughts would be great.

Dear CARFAX customer:

Thanks for using CARFAX!

Please do not reply to this message as it is being sent by an automated e-mail system! For customer inquiries or questions visit the CARFAX Help Center at www.carfax.com/help.

Additional Services & Resources:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Price Quote
Vehicle Financing
Insurance Center

Report Generated for
James C Gable
For Personal Use Only

Since its establishment as an independent company in 1986, CARFAX has collected the largest vehicle history database in North America. This database currently includes over 3 billion records from thousands of public and private sources.

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

ALERT! Severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1995 CHEVROLET CORVETTE (1G1YY22P2S5119202). This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

CARFAX Talking CarTM

The story of this 1995 CHEVROLET CORVETTE (1G1YY22P2S5119202) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:

This coupe has had 1 owner in Pennsylvania. It was originally registered as a lease vehicle. The leasing company actually owned this vehicle and collected payments from the individual leasing it until the vehicle was sold or the lease expired.

It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.

It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.

It was issued an Exceeds Mechanical Limits title by a Maryland DMV. This title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.

It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).

Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary

1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check
No Severe Accidents Reported by a DMV

Other Accident Indicators
No Accident Indicators Reported

2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check
Odometer Problems Reported by a DMV

Odometer Rollback Check
No Potential Odometer Rollback Found

Mileage Consistency Check
No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found

3. LEMON CHECK®
No Mfr. Buyback Reported by a DMV

4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners
1 Estimated Owner(s)

Type of Owners
Originally Registered as a Lease Vehicle

5. RECALL CHECK
CHEVROLET Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX

6. WARRANTY CHECK
No Data Reported to CARFAX

DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY
5 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED
Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Year/Make/Model:
1995 CHEVROLET CORVETTE

Body Style:
COUPE

Engine:
5.7L V8 MPI OHV 12V

Fuel:
GASOLINE

Driveline:
REAR WHEEL DRIVE

Manufactured in:
UNITED STATES

Safety Equipment:
4 wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment:
Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer
Old 09-08-2005, 12:42 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

It's been leased for 10 years?
I suppose the person who leased it could have purchased it at the end of the lease...

Sounds like the only issue is with the mileage. That wouldn't scare me away....condition is much more important anyway.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Scattershot
Intermediate

Thanks for the response.. Would a certified mechanic have any way of checking on the mileage?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:16 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the maximum mileage for a 1995 odometer, 100,000 or 1,000,000. If its the later and the odometer "rolled over" you're looking at a car that may set a mileage record for C4's.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
swarnock
Heel & Toe

Did the carfax show any mileage events such tab renewal? Sometimes you can see a step that doesn't make sense or they can be used to give you an idea of what the actual mileage may be. You could compare those to what it actually shows. Is it a digital odometer in the 95?

It would be nice to be able to talk to the previous owner about it. I agree with rocco16 about the condition being important and can tell alot about how the car has been taken care of.

Good Luck
Scott
Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Scattershot
Intermediate

I am gonna talk to the owner about this. After looking at the pictures.. there seems to be no wear/very little wear on the seat.. and no raod rash on the front bumper so I am confused about the mileage issue. The Corvette looks in very good shape. I do not want a car that has 127,000 miles regardless of shape. Thanks for all the input.

Mike
Old 09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

It was issued an Exceeds Mechanical Limits title by a Maryland DMV. This title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover. sounds like a mileage issue .
Old 09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Something funny here. Condition very important as Larry says, but.....that mileage thing is odd, to say the least. Sounds to me like a possible replaced odometer, which means something went wrong with the dash????? Could that be it?

Plz tell us what the owner's got to say re the mileage thing. Depending on where it is in MD, there are quite a few of us CFers in, or nearby. At least someone could look it over. And there's at least a couple shops that could check it out maybe when you come up.

good luck!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Hogan
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Something funny here. Condition very important as Larry says, but.....that mileage thing is odd, to say the least. Sounds to me like a possible replaced odometer, which means something went wrong with the dash????? Could that be it?

Plz tell us what the owner's got to say re the mileage thing. Depending on where it is in MD, there are quite a few of us CFers in, or nearby. At least someone could look it over. And there's at least a couple shops that could check it out maybe when you come up.

good luck!
Maybe the odometer stopped working and they issued a replacement??
If the car looks like it has been well maintained I would not let mileage scare me. A well maintained 100K car might be in better condition then a poorly maintained 40k car.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by wzdads
Maybe the odometer stopped working and they issued a replacement??
If the car looks like it has been well maintained I would not let mileage scare me. A well maintained 100K car might be in better condition then a poorly maintained 40k car.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Some states don't require reporting of the odometer reading when the car reaches 10 years of age. It's hard to say if CARFAX gets a report when the lessee buys the car at the end of the lease period.

"Exceeds Mechanical Limits" is probably gubbmint-speak as newer cars have a 6-position odometer and it's highly unlikely the car reached a million miles. The CCM controls the odometer display and the CCM got replaced, the dealer must program the CCM with the current mileage along with the VIN and some other codes that are necessary for the CCM to work with certain optional items like the Electronic Climate Control. If the dealer did not propgram the CCM, after the first 100 miles are recorded, the CCM will not accept programming.

It does sound like it's a one-owner car. Check with the owner to see if a new CCM was installed and what dealer did the work. Check with the dealer to verify that a CCM was installed and it was properly programmed with the correct mileage. The CCM can be checked with a MG Tech-1 Scan Tool to display the VIN. You need only to match the displayed VIN with the tab on the dash.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Scattershot
Intermediate

Here is what the owner repsonded with:

The mileage on the car is correct. we purchased this car from a friend. The odometer has room on it to show 100,000 miles + it does not stop at 99,999. The car has not been tampered with. When we titled it in 2000 it only had 20,140 miles on it. I believe there was an error made at the DMV. When I read the manual for the corvette it says there is no way to tamper with the odometer without leaving evidence. Even if you change the odometer it will read the correct miles.

Any thoughts??
Old 09-10-2005, 02:55 AM
Scattershot
Intermediate

Ttt
Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

This thread seems to indicate the car has 27K miles now, is that correct? So, if titled in '00 with 20K, it's gone 7K in 5 years. Only other way I can think to confirm is to see a paper trail of repairs and maintenance with third party mileage inserted in the bills. And when you see the originals, see if the numbers are correct and in keeping with the rest of bill.

And by the way, cafax says one owner in PA, but it's got a Maryland Exceeds Mechanical Limits---did the one owner move?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:15 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Scattershot
Here is what the owner repsonded with:

The mileage on the car is correct. we purchased this car from a friend. The odometer has room on it to show 100,000 miles + it does not stop at 99,999. The car has not been tampered with. When we titled it in 2000 it only had 20,140 miles on it. I believe there was an error made at the DMV. When I read the manual for the corvette it says there is no way to tamper with the odometer without leaving evidence. Even if you change the odometer it will read the correct miles.

Any thoughts??
DMV's can make mistakes in reporting mileage and CARFAX doesn't question the data, it just reports it. That's one potential problem with CARFAX.

As far as "changing" the odometer, as I mentioned, the CCM (Central Control Module, which is located above and in front of the radio) records the mileage input from the tranny sending unit and displays the value on the speedo display. The only way to "change" the reading is to replace the CCM with a new unit and have it re-programmed to show the correct mileage that was on the old CCM.

A GM Tech-1 is needed to do this and mileage is entered in increments of 6-mile units. If a dealer installs a new CCM without programming the correct mileage from the old unit into it and after the car is driven 100 miles, the CCM will not accept any odometer re-programming.

Because the CCM also has the VIN entered into it, a dealer can verify if the CCM had been swapped out and one from another car was installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on this carfax:

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this carfax: