C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil and coolant leaks need to be tackled

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Oil and coolant leaks need to be tackled

I picked up a 92 LT-1 and it has leaks, I've put over a thousand miles on it in the last two weeks and it looks like I have a small oil leak at the front of the engine probably the front of the oil pan, it's not bad, about 3-5 drops a week and it looks like it's been leaking a long time by the mess under the car. I'll try cleaning it up this weekend, retorking the pan bolts and see what that does.
The one that worries me is the coolant leak, it drips on the ground directly below the front left(viewd from the drivers seat) of the engine. I can't tell how much is leaking while driving but sitting in the garage over the last 3 days it's leaked somewhere between a teaspoon and a table spoon and seems to be getting worse but I might be wrong. Looking at the engine from top and bottom I can't see the source, it looks dry around the intake manifold and around what I can see of the water pump. There's no water in the oil when you check the dip stick.
The top coolant tank is low but was low when I got it and I'm going to fill it up and look for leaks in the morning, the manual has a procedure to fill it using the bleed screws but says to use coolant and a coolant sealant mixed in with the coolant, is the sealant something that has an equivelant at a auto parts store or do I have to get it from chevy?
Looking at the forums it looks like the LT-1 has some problems with leaks, where are the normal spots?

It looks like I can drop the pan without pulling the motor, maybe a morning job, is that right?

I've done my share of intake manifolds on older carburated camaros, will this be as easy? Another morning job?

Last edited by EvanD; 11-22-2005 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2005, 11:35 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06

My intake is leaking oil and it has made one heck of a mess of my engine. I will tear into it in a few weeks. They normally leak around the front and rear. I think I can knock it out in a morning.

Coolant leaks don't seem to be the norm around here, but it happens. I find a mechanics mirror and a flashlight handy and might work for you also in locating the leaks. If any of the hoses look iffy then I would replace regardless.

I don't have any sealant in mine and am not a big fan of the stuff. I did pull my radiator this last summer and cleaned it up and also flushed the system and filled it up with the green stuff.

Haven't had to do the oil pan yet, but I did do the Opti and WP and once I got the parts off I noticed the seals have been leaking so I replaced them.

Have fun and take your time
Old 11-22-2005, 11:40 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06

On mine the overflow tank is where I pay close attention since this is where the sytem will take and return the coolant as motor heats and cools. On the dipstick is say "full cold" or something like that. As I fill the top tank it will overfill the overflow tank. Not sure how 92 is setup but I think it is the same.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:23 AM
kwd1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil leak sounds like the SBC standard leak. All but one LT1 oil pan I've ever looked at had oil streaking down the front to the back. I retorqued the bolts on my pan. I seem to get oil from out of the front of the timing chain cover. I've heard that at WOT, a little oil can blow out the front main seal. The owner of the one LT1 that didn't have oil on it's pan said that the motor was never taken to WOT.

The bolts on the intake manifold get loose and have to be retorqued. When they are loose, oil seeps out onto the block and smokes. Try retorquing before taking it off.

On the coolant, feel under the water pump. There is a drain hole. If the pump is about to let go, you should be able to feel moisture from this hole. Is there a stripe on the inside of the hood from the belt throwing coolant? Driving in the rain can also cause the stripe.
If it's not the pump, I would think with it running and warm that you should be able to spot the coolant leak. Try a flashlight so you can see the mist.

Good luck and don't forget to wave.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:13 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Your oil leak seemed to be answered. As far as your coolant leak, first fill and burp the system. Use a 50/50 mixture. If you still have the leak, go to any auto parts store and buy a radiator pressure tester. It could be as easy as needing a new radiator cap or a small leak in a hose. At least your will find out where it is leaking from. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Does any one know or can tell me where to find the torque specs for the pan bolts and the intake bolts for a 94 LT1? Mine was been leaking a little when I bought it and it has gotten a little worse since. The records say the intake manifold gaskets were changed in the recent past (like less than 10,000 miles ago most of those put on by me), so I am thinking that those bolts might be in need of retorqueing. And might as well check the pan while I'm at it.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:55 AM
EvanD
Drifting

So... can the pan be dropped without pulling the motor?

What are the torque on the intake and pan?

Is the intake manifold as easy as the older carb'ed cars?

I have been using a mirror and flashlight, I'll try feeling under the puimp.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:35 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, make sure all of your hose clamps are tight. I had my water pump replaced about 5 months ago and a few weeks later found a small pool of coolant under the car. Turns out one of the worm & screw clamps on a heater hose needed another full turn to tighten it down.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
So... can the pan be dropped without pulling the motor?

What are the torque on the intake and pan?

Is the intake manifold as easy as the older carb'ed cars?

I have been using a mirror and flashlight, I'll try feeling under the puimp.
I don't know, it appears like it but someone else will need to confirm if you can drop the pan without lifting the engine. I know your suppose to put some kind of sealant on the corners of the pan.

There are different bolts on the pan some are standard bolts and some are stud bolts they get different torque. I'll have to look them up.

I have the same leak. It could be the front of the pan gasket or it could be the water pump drive. It has a shaft bushing that rides on the front timing cover hole seal. If the bushing has wear pattern this will cause a nasty oil leak. The drive is replaced as a whole assembly it was not designed for cleaning and service.

Intake is suppose to be fairly easy to R&R. Again this from what I've read.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:52 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Allright, degreased and cleaned and the oil is from the front of the intake maniold and the coolant is from the back of the water pump, probably the drive shaft.

As far as torque... oil pan nuts- 165inlb, bolts/studs- 80inlb

intake manifold- 35ftlb

Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil and coolant leaks need to be tackled

Quick Reply: Oil and coolant leaks need to be tackled