Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Smoothline hardtops - good or bad ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:33 AM
87 covertible
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoothline hardtops - good or bad ???

Anybody have any experience with Smoothline hardtops for early C4 ? Gonna get one next month if I don't hear any thing negative . Would like to hear + or - . Quality , form and fit !? Please let me know one way or the other about these guys !!!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:15 AM
baddmann
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about quality, but the hardtop for the convertible can be put on and taken off a lot easier than the stock one.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 AM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoothline

Those are nice folks at Smoothline. I like the original type of top. If you look at the base of the top, right below the back window, you will see a difference in width of that area, vertically.
The GM, (American Sunroof), model has the roll bar built in, that connects to flanges on the L&R sides. I don't know how Smoothline designed this area. Ask them about fit also. See if they sold anyone a top in your area, and go look at it.
The original model has a nice headliner. If you are going to get one shipped to you, ask about the fit where the glass meets the top of the weatherstripping when windows are up.
If you have to replace the weatherstripping on a GM top, it will cost you some bucks.
Your roadster will be more rigid with the GM hardtop bolted on then the coupe. Some may disagree. This all just my opinion.

Check E-Bay, they come up once in a while. Expect to pay up to $1500 for a nice one. If you get one and need it shipped, PM me and I can advise on how to build a box.

Boatman
Attached Images   

Last edited by boatman; 01-03-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
89sleeper
Burning Brakes

Location: The land of 10,000 lakes ,Minnesota 89 coupe 6speed with 383 and 89 roadster 6speed bonestock with XXX low miles
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatman
Those are nice folks at Smoothline. I like the original type of top. If you look at the base of the top, right below the back window, you will see a difference in width of that area, vertically.
The GM, (American Sunroof), model has the roll bar built in, that connects to flanges on the L&R sides. I don't know how Smoothline designed this area. Ask them about fit also. See if they sold anyone a top in your area, and go look at it.
The original model has a nice headliner. If you are going to get one shipped to you, ask about the fit where the glass meets the top of the weatherstripping when windows are up.
If you have to replace the weatherstripping on a GM top, it will cost you some bucks.
Your roadster will be more rigid with the GM hardtop bolted on then the coupe. Some may disagree. This all just my opinion.

Check E-Bay, they come up once in a while. Expect to pay up to $1500 for a nice one. If you get one and need it shipped, PM me and I can advise on how to build a box.

Boatman
Gota love the hardtop mine is a factory top looks great but what a PIA putting on and off

Last edited by 89sleeper; 01-03-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The drawbacks on the Smoothline is the higher cost over a used original and they do not have a built in rollbar. If I understand correctly the factory top qualifies as a rollbar for some of the NHRA and SCCA classes. (Better check with them first if you want to race though as my memory cells are not the best anymore)
The drawback for the factory hardtop is that you will have to do some fabrication in order to have it fit the 86-88 verts. The Smoothline will fit using the same holes that the convertible top uses.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by boatman
The GM, (American Sunroof), model has the roll bar built in, that connects to flanges on the L&R sides.
87 Convertible,
Be CAREFUL.
This does not apply to you.
The roll bar that is included in the factory hardtop will not mount to a 1987 car. the chassis hard-points were modified later. Since there was not a hardtop option in '87 you will have to modifiy your car to use the factory units.
You will also need to replace the mounting points on your windshield frame, because the connection to the front is a few inches different. GM makes a "retrofit kit" that accepts both the old monuts (found on your installed rag-top) and the new hardtop location, but that is more time and money you have to spend.

Not that either of these issues is difficult from a custom fabrication point of view; but if you have never done any structural changes on a car, you will have to do some reading at least (or pay a fabricator)
Old 01-04-2006, 10:09 AM
87 covertible
Racer

Off and on ease will be a big issue ! I'll see if one comes up on ebay , if not I think the Smoothline top will be just fine for me . Thanks !
Old 01-16-2006, 06:25 PM
87 covertible
Racer

Odered my top today . Can't wait to get it ! Going to take off the soft top and have a roadster !!!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:25 AM
RubyDropTop
Instructor

Ummm....you already have a roadster. Convertible=Roadster.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 covertible
Odered my top today . Can't wait to get it ! Going to take off the soft top and have a roadster !!!
Be sure to include many pictures
Old 01-17-2006, 02:07 PM
ThingFish
Instructor

What did it cost ya?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 PM
gotti65
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 03whitecoupe
Be sure to include many pictures
I am very interested in a Smoothline Black Textured Hartop cause I do not want to pay for painting one..Please post if you are satisfied..I want to buy one and ship to where I bought my car and then drive it there and have it professionally put on my 93 Convertible..Thanks for reading
Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 PM
VAHROOM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a place in AZ to try one on? I want a hardtop but don't think a GM one will fit over the roll bar. Or so I've been told.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:39 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Belated Question

Originally Posted by 87 covertible
Here we are six years later and I have the same concerns you had in 2016. Did you ever buy the Smoothline hardtop and what did you think of it? I’m planning to purchase one in the fall, but want as much feedback from users as I can get before then.

Thank you!

SnorT91Man

Get notified of new replies

To Smoothline hardtops - good or bad ???

Quick Reply: Smoothline hardtops - good or bad ???