Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Has anyone painted/dyed their dash pad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 12:00 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone painted/dyed their dash pad?

The dash pad (the big top of the dash piece) is vinyl over styrofoam. I want to paint (dye actually) my dash pad. Has anyone done this before?

I'm wondering if there is any problem with getting the dye onto the styrofoam. The dye has flammable petroleum solvents in it, and often these can dissolve styrofoam.

Related question - has anyone applied dye to plastic/vinyl parts by rubbing it on (like staining wood)? Or is spraying it on the only way it looks good?

TIA, ..gregg
Old 08-06-2001, 08:47 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Has anyone painted/dyed their dash pad? (gh86E)

I'll answer my own questions - the voice of experience...

1) So far the styrofoam hasn't been hurt by the dye. haven't really gotten it on to the styrofoam yet. But no problems so far.

2) No, it doesn't work trying to rub it on like stain. The dye looks an awful lot like ink. And of course, I didn't try it on a cheap easy-to-replace piece - I tried it right away on the dash pad (no guts, no glory). Looks worse now, because rubbing it on didn't get it even. No problem. I'll try airbrushing the dye on later in the week when this heat and humidity goes away (have to do it outside - the dye is highly flammable).
Old 08-06-2001, 09:08 PM
TrplBlk01
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would (after you are done that is) put a dash matt on it because it will fade quick.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:47 AM
moffitt
Burning Brakes

A used dash pad does not paint or dye well. It's because most people have used silicone based products on them! This includes ArmorAll, Pledge and most other polishes. The silicone is almost impossible to remove with even the best wax and grease removers. Paint will fisheye (forms circles where paint will run away from, it leaves unpainted craters) and dye will not apply uniformly leaving some spots darker and others lighter.
The guy I work with in the bodyshop can feel silicone a mile away when he feels a part that has been treated, me not a chance. I have to have him feel everything, then he bitches all day about his hands contaminating everything else he touches (he bitches most of the time anyway).
We use paint made just for plastic dashes and trim parts and only new parts, just to get a decent job.
But you could try? I have on ocassion and sometimes gotten away with it.
What have you got too lose?
Old 08-07-2001, 08:11 AM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Has anyone painted/dyed their dash pad? (moffitt)

The dye didn't fisheye, it just ended up darker at the start and the end of the wipings I did. You're right, that I didn't clean the dash pad that well, and will probably run into problems spraying it with dye.

I was going to pick up some SEM Vinyl and Plastic Color Spray to touch up some of the dash. Think this would work better on the dash pad?
Old 08-07-2001, 09:26 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

I bought a spare pair of kick panels for my IROC to build custom speaker pods for my car. I'm trying like hell to remember what I used to clean them, because dispite being shiny and smooth (silicone) when i started, they were dull and "not smooth" feeling when I cleaned them. It was very clear that all of the silicone was gone. I think I either used paint thinner or carb cleaner, but either of these can quickly destroy certain plastics, so you may not want to use them. Most auto supply stores that sell paint (not spray can crap) will sell a product called "final Wash" or some similar variant. It's the stuff you clean the body with right before you paint. It WILL remove all silicone, grease, oil, etc, and should not harm the plastic. I would still reccomend testing an inconspicuous spot first. Anyway, I painted my kicks with vinal/plastic paint that I pad $3 for at Parts America. No primer or anything. It's been over a year and there are no nicks or scratches, and the paint match was perfect. here's a picture of the kick panel, and you can compare it to the stock, untouched door sill.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone painted/dyed their dash pad?

Quick Reply: Has anyone painted/dyed their dash pad?