Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 09:54 AM
Forrests90
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner

Well, today I replaced the injectors (accel 23 lb) put in an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a new EGR valve and solenoid and a fuel gauge on the rail. The fuel gauge leaked everywhere spraying fuel and caught the car on fire. luckily I got it out before any major damage occured. I melted one vacuum line which I promptly repaired. Talk about a huge difference. I finally feel like I own a Corvette. Living in Okinawa I am ready to take on all of those silly Nissans and Toyotas now. Actually some of them over here are really fast but most are just posers so we will see.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:38 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (Forrests90)

What do they think of the big engine over there? :D

BTW Glad you caught the fire, always have a fire extinguisher handy
Old 08-14-2001, 02:25 PM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (BrianCunningham)

NO FIRES! I forbid them.

Old 08-15-2001, 09:17 AM
Forrests90
Heel & Toe

Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (BrianCunningham)

The big motor is a novelty over here. It costs about 6 bucks a gallon for gas so you don't see too many. i get my gas on base for 1.62 so it isn't as bad. The gas they have is really good though, the regular is 93 and the premium is 101 octane. Worth it to put a few gallons in once in a while. By the way there was a fire extinguisher in the shop but we put it out with a mop bucket before it got that far. Pretty stupid and it could have gotten really ugly. luckily the damage was limited to a vacuum line and a singed injector connector. :eek:
Old 08-15-2001, 10:37 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (Forrests90)

Do you guys See what happens when you let a Pilot do a mechanics work!!!! :lol:
Old 08-15-2001, 02:09 PM
Larrym96815
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting ready to do the same on mine. What should I watch for so I don't have the same fire you did? Thanks

Aloha,
Larry
Old 08-15-2001, 04:47 PM
jackyl
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07'-08

Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (Patrick96LT4)

NO FIRES! I forbid them.
Fires bad!! :smash: Bad, Bad BAD!!!! :smash: :smash:
Old 08-15-2001, 05:15 PM
TrplBlk01
Safety Car

Yep I forbid them myself!! :yesnod:
Old 08-17-2001, 09:18 PM
Forrests90
Heel & Toe

Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (Larry Mackey)

As "Subs" I mean "Phrogs" would probably agree, the biggest thing is just taking your time. The most time consuming problem was getting the old gaskets off. A soft wire wheel would help a great deal making sure it is not too aggressive for the aluminum parts. I rushed putting the car back together due to the need to get out of the base hobby shop and didn't get the fuel gauge tightened enough. This could have been easily prevented had I taken my time and just checked everything twice. It sounded much more dramatic than it really was (I guess any fire can be dramatic in the car). The project was not that difficult just time consuming. If you can get a long shaft T-40 torx driver to get to the bottom runner bolts, they were very difficult to get at with my torx ratchets, a driver would have gotten to them easier but you will probably need to put a wrench on the handle. By the way the 23# Accel injectors made a hugh decision. :conehead
Old 08-18-2001, 03:16 AM
Bender
Burning Brakes

I thought that American cars were worth a lot of money over there, especially a vette. Could you even sell it there if you wanted to :confused:
Old 08-18-2001, 03:27 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (Quasar92Blue)

I thought that American cars were worth a lot of money over there, especially a vette. Could you even sell it there if you wanted to :confused:
Um american cars are worth a lot of money when they sell brand new here because of the cost of impoorting them forest got his for less money than I did and I paied $8,700 for my convertable that has 23,4?? miles on it original miles not beaten up miles my car is one of the clenest vests here in okinawa but the japanese dont like to buy used cars, so if you have a friend that has a boat you can get vettes cheap here......
But me and forest get to ship our home for free :cheers: Ill drink to that one
Old 08-18-2001, 05:42 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner (phrogs)

Do you guys See what happens when you let a Pilot do a mechanics work!!!! :lol:
:cheers:

A few weeks ago we had a pilot pull his Sentra into the hangar and beg us for help because he changed the headlights and then one was dim and the other was bright, or vice-verse. :eek: Had him out the door(4 panel, 35 ft long) in a matter of minutes.

Anyways, glad your car is together and in one piece, my car hasn't started on fire, but I've inadvertantly started several others aflame.

Get notified of new replies

To 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner

Quick Reply: 8 injectors, 1 afpr, a gauge and a minor fire.... I feel like a Corvette owner