Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Here she is before the disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 02:54 AM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Here she is before the disaster (bogus)

I am sorry it tossed a rod.

How many miles are on this thing??? I am curious.

I did'nt realize you were only 16. That is a LOT of car for a teenager.

A fresh L98 is all you need. Beleive me... any more and your asking for trouble... I am sure that the last thing you need is a 400hp motor... wait a few years, then build the 400hp motor... but the 250hp L98 has more than enough torque.... so it won't feel soft.

I remember myself at 16... if I had a vette, I more than likely would not be here today - and I was a responsable driver!!!!

Get up with Mr CJ, and find out what he can find you...

good luck, and keep us posted!!!!
PSH! No offense but im 20 and have been behind the wheel of a vette since I got my license at 16. There is no such thing as "too much power" provided a person is mature enough not to abuse it.

If a person isn't mature, they run the same chance of killing themselves in a yugo as a corvette. It's not the car that kills, it's the driver.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:55 AM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Here she is before the disaster (vettes rule)

Unless you absolutely abused that car in that five day period; I believe you got screwed by the seller. The seller might have known that car had a bad rod and just miminally fixed it before selling it. I would consider taking him to small claims court for reimbursement of the engine replacement cost. This has nothing to do with a warranty. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:46 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Here she is before the disaster (Ed Ut)

most states have a 90 fitness warrentee. The problem, I don't know it that applies to private sellers or not. good luck.

Check with the prior owner garage/service center. see if there were any known problems.

Iceman - There is maturity - and then there is experience. Experience is that thing you get when you don't get what you want... true? Experience is learning how to drive anything with power. I am a firm beleiver in starting small. My first car was a - gag - AMC pacer. There were better options without all the ugly, but that was not the issue. Each car I got had a bit more power, a bit more style, and better handling.

I could have sped up the process a bit... I got stuck on the honda thing. but I was at a juncture when I needed more reliablity and warrentees... these days, that is not an issue.

however, I would never give a 16 year old a corvette. period. first, the insurance would be fatal. at least here... and second, any minor situation with a vette becomes a big production real quick. There is one last thing - kids are subject to police scruteny. This is bad. why give a car to someone that is going to attract more attention? not that police scruteny cannot be all bad - knowing they could be pulled over at any moment could be a deterant to teen drinking and any other illegal activty. I am more aiming at questionable tickets, which make insurance rates go up even faster!!!

don't get me wrong. If I had a teen driver, I would be more than happy to let him or her drive my vette. but under the proper guidance. It is part of the learning process. And that would gauge maturity.

just my .02 worth.

[Modified by bogus, 4:49 PM 8/17/2001]
Old 08-17-2001, 09:57 PM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Re: Here she is before the disaster (bogus)

The car had around 76K miles on it.

I have never done anything real bad and almost always get straight A's so my dad thinks I can handle this car. I already have respect for the power and know just what can happen, since my dad is a doctor and has shown me through the hospital at some of the wrecks :eek:.

There is no way anybody could say I abused the car since I never took it above the speed limit and didn't accelerate insanely fast. My dad doesn't think he can get anything from the original owner so he probably won't do anything about it.

Today, my dad just told me he bought a new engine rated at 355 hrs pwr and 405 lb ft but I have to use my stock intake.

[Modified by vettes rule, 8:43 AM 8/18/2001]
Old 08-18-2001, 02:11 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Here she is before the disaster (vettes rule)

VR,

you sound like the exception. I hope you keep it up!

that motor you dad got sounds like a monster! take it easy!!!!

A suggestion - when you do the intake; they have a tendency to leak coolant. To stop that, use standard hex head bolts. This way, you can re-torque them in about 500 miles. The torx heads are impossible to reach inside the intakes runners....

I will find the exact size monday. that is where the artical is!

good luck!

Quick Reply: Here she is before the disaster