Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lazy Eye Headlight problems? I found these thicker bushings you can use.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:43 AM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default Lazy Eye Headlight problems? I found these thicker bushings you can use.

I thought this may be worthy of a new post. After all, there have been numerous threads on our lazy eye headlight problems. Some of you have had success using the Home Depot bushings/spacers to fix your headlights, others have had a problem with those same bushings just being completely crushed.

Well, for anyone who's interested, I found some alternate Home Depot spacers/bushings to use for our headlights. Initially, I was going to use the Home Depot 27/64" x 29/64" bushings that were recommended. Well, after i purchased them, i got back on the forum, did some more reading, and found out that some of you have had problems with the bushings being crushed after only 3 or 4 uses of the headlights. I didn't want this to happen to me, so i went back to home depot to look for some different bushings. I came across these:

Spacer
1/2" long x 1/2" OD x 194" ID
Part # 30699 87228

These bushings are much thicker than the other ones that have been used. However, the circumference of these bushings are just a little too large for everything to fit together properly. These bushings fit insde the big plastic gear just fine, however, I could not get the metal piece (flux capacitor looking thing) to fit back on without shaving the outside of each bushing. I did not have to shave off very much of the bushings. Using just a utility knife, it took a total of maybe 5 - 10 minutes to shave a small outer portion of each bushing (I only had to shave the small part of each bushing that "touched" the metal insert.) All i had to do was shave enough off of each bushing so that the metal piece could fit snugly back into the gear. I had no problems with the 1/2" height of the bushings, just with the circumference.

Here are a couple of comparison pics between the thicker bushings i purchased, and the other thinner bushings.

Keep in mind if you decide to purchase these, buy the ones that show 194" ID. There are some other, slightly thinner 1/2 x 1/2 bushings that have a 257" ID.

I tested my headlights numerous times and the passenger headlight works like new - no problems whatsoever No more lazy eye for me!!! I hope this info helps some of you out.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Thanks for the write-up. My Home Depot bushings are holding up just fine going on three years now...

Last edited by onedef92; 03-30-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Those are the same ones Lowes sells. I have a set in each light in my 90. Working great for quite a while here.

Get notified of new replies

To Lazy Eye Headlight problems? I found these thicker bushings you can use.

Quick Reply: Lazy Eye Headlight problems? I found these thicker bushings you can use.