Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My Corsas are getting louder with age......

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 07:47 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My Corsas are getting louder with age......

My CORSA cat-back system is getting profoundly louder with age. Now for those who know me here, I switched from muffler elims to the Corsas about 2-3 months ago, so the sound change at idle was very large back then. But over the course of 2-3 months since installing, the sound is definitely more aggressive at idle than when brand new, and it's just a hair louder at WOT (but not very much to really even notice).

I have heard from other corvetteforum members (GTB, you out there son?) that they have experienced the same condition. Anyone else?!?!?

I'm not complaining....it just seems unusual. And yes, all the fittings underneath are as tight as a button.

[Modified by CaliforniaLT-1, 3:48 PM 8/16/2001]
Old 08-16-2001, 08:13 PM
GM_96LT4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: My Corsas are getting louder with age...... (CaliforniaLT-1)

Maybe, one of the clamps started to come loose and some exhaust is leaking through.

Glenn
Old 08-16-2001, 08:16 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My Corsas are getting louder with age...... (GM_96LT4)

My stock exhaust is getting louder with age, but its much better than being that the stock exhaust is so quiet :yesnod:
Old 08-16-2001, 08:28 PM
Gate2
Racer

Ya know, I have been thinking the same thing about my Corsas becoming louder, but I didn't mention it to anyone. I like the extra noise. I have read many posts about Corsas and how great they sound and how everyone loves them. To me, they don't sound that impressive when you rev the engine, at least not on my 95 LT1 anyway. Is it just my car or is everyone's elses like that too?????
Old 08-16-2001, 08:59 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Default Re: My Corsas are getting louder with age...... (GM_96LT4)

Maybe, one of the clamps started to come loose and some exhaust is leaking through.
Glenn
Nope....they're all tight and no leaks

My stock exhaust is getting louder with age, but it's much better than being that the stock exhaust is so quiet
Boots, I agree. My stock exhaust had over 85K miles on it before I put in the muffler elims, and it sounded pretty healthy for a stock exhaust. Of course, the elims really woke up the exhaust note (almost too much at times, thus the Corsas came on board).

Ya know, I have been thinking the same thing about my Corsas becoming louder, but I didn't mention it to anyone. I like the extra noise. I have read many posts about Corsas and how great they sound and how everyone loves them. To me, they don't sound that impressive when you rev the engine, at least not on my 95 LT1 anyway. Is it just my car or is everyone's elses like that too?????
There is not much out there that can "wake up" the sound of a stock LT-1 as cheaply/better than muffler elims. True, the Corsas don't have the "growl" of a muffler elim, but they do sound much healthier than stock. Check your air intake. I have an open lid with a K&N filter, and that can slightly alter the exhaust note as you're allowing the engine to breathe easier.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably rip out my hatch area carpet, lay down some sound mat (sound absorbing material), replace with fresh carpet and go with the muffler elims and some sort of aftermarket resonator to replace the factory unit. The sound mat would help remove most of the resonance that the elims provide (though some here will swear they experience little/no resonance with their set-up).

[Modified by CaliforniaLT-1, 5:00 PM 8/16/2001]
Old 08-16-2001, 10:52 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Mine got louder once I put the Longtubes on with out cats :D :crazy:
Old 08-16-2001, 11:58 PM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My Corsas are getting louder with age...... (Gate2)

The hotter they get the more growl I get. True, not a mind blasting growl, but they have that deep gurgle at around 1500 that I really like, and opening her up has a great tone too...

Maybe it's the tone I like so much...I have had louder pipes on other cars.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:21 AM
McKVette
Safety Car

Mine get louder when i adjust them :D

Old 08-17-2001, 11:50 AM
CNTDRV55
Burning Brakes

Default Re: My Corsas are getting louder with age...... (MinnesotaWhite)

>The hotter they get the more growl I get.

I definitely notice this. When I pull out of my driveway and down the block in the morning, I wonder 'where's the pipes'. Then a few minutes
down the road, and they wake up! :D

I just posted my Corsa's on another thread, but I have actually had them on for a few weeks, and they are louder :D . Plenty
for me. I don't know if the LT4 makes a diff or not. I do have an intake system as well.

I had a buddy tell me when I first bought it that was louder than his friend's LT1 (both had ~10k miles). I don't see why this would be true
though. Maybe his imagination.
Old 08-17-2001, 12:52 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Default Re: My Corsas are getting louder with age...... (RichS)

Mine got louder once I put the Longtubes on with out cats :D :crazy:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Schweeet!

Get notified of new replies

To My Corsas are getting louder with age......

Quick Reply: My Corsas are getting louder with age......