C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Deck Lid Protector Or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 PM
jctoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Deck Lid Protector Or Not ?

Pro's and Con's on the use of a Deck Lid Protector Film for my 92 Vert.
Looking For your advice...Thank's JC
Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I will be listening to hear the answers too...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

They look nasty after a few months but the scratches and rub marks look bad too. I read a tip somewhere about buying heavy duty clear plastic material at a fabric store and cutting it to size. You can buy a whole bunch of it for a reasonable price. Just slap it on before you put the top up then peel it off when you go topless.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:23 AM
jctoy
Burning Brakes

This is the one I am speaking of

Prevent those unsightly marks and scratches on your convertible or hardtop, while saving the cost of a repaint. This protective film is precision die-cut for your model Corvette and is made of "static cling" film. Needs no adhesives; static electricity keeps it firmly in place. Two year warranty. Available in Black or Clear. Remove your protector when top is down. May need to be trimmed slightly for best fit.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:28 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

My '94 has this stuff (in clear) on it. I'm glad it's there. Still looks fine after the nearly two years I've owned the car, and I don't know how long it was on there before I bought it. I'd recommend it.

Be well,

SJW
Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 AM
jctoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SJW
My '94 has this stuff (in clear) on it. I'm glad it's there. Still looks fine after the nearly two years I've owned the car, and I don't know how long it was on there before I bought it. I'd recommend it.

Be well,

SJW

Do you take it off when your tops down for a better look and then put It back on when the tops up, and if so how easy is it as well how does it look

Thanks JC
Old 04-07-2006, 02:07 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The later year convertibles came with them on from the factory. It's similar looking but they are permanent not Static cling and are clear not black. I like it. It's not noticeable and does its job to protect the paint.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

The static cling ones I have will not stay on when the top is down .
Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 AM
up nprth al
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

go to your local tint guy and get a strip on 3M clear bra put on it will look much nicer than the static cover
Old 04-07-2006, 08:16 AM
finnor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine had it when I bought it. One of the first things I did was peel it off. Even though the car is silver and the protector was clear, the edges had dirt and looked like crap. I figure if you keep a good coat of wax on the car, it will do fine. Mine is also garaged and I don't really plan on taking her out unless I can have the top down, so no issues with wear and tear.

--Tor
Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
75 Red Vert
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I did to mine was get rid of that ugly clear stripe on my deck lid. Had dirt and wax under it and it was scratched and torn in places.

I just keep a real good coat of wax on it and make sure the weatherstripping is good and clean before latching the top.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:01 PM
87 rag
Drifting

I wish I had one on my car when I lost my mind and wiped the dirt away that had collected.
Now I have a bunch of scratches on my paint that I hate even though I'm likely the only one who sees them.
It sounds like which ever style people use it will need to be replaced every couple of years to keep looking good but will protect the paint.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:06 PM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by jctoy
Do you take it off when your tops down for a better look and then put It back on when the tops up, and if so how easy is it as well how does it look

Thanks JC
I glued on a new black protective strip that I got from Ecklers but it looks like crap. I am going to remove it and the original clear, and then cut to fit some new clear 3M protective tape.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:21 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by jctoy

Thanks JC
I believe mine is factory-applied, actually. I've never tried to remove it, and can't imagine why I would. I think you can buy the factory stuff. Mine still looks fine.

Be well,

SJW
Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 PM
jctoy
Burning Brakes

Thanks Everyone , Enjoy the Comments...JC
Old 11-24-2018, 02:49 AM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

I have a black cloth deck lid protector from a company that went under years ago. It covers about half of the deck and is shaped to fit the rear bow. It’s made of a heavy soft cotton and lays in place perfectly, has cutouts for the release latches.
when I put the top down I roll it up and throw it in with the top.
It’s at least 20 years old and is gettin a little ratty so I went to Joanns fabric shop and bought a piece of material to make a duplicate. It a lot better than the film.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:22 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
they look nasty after a few months but the scratches and rub marks look bad too. I read a tip somewhere about buying heavy duty clear plastic material at a fabric store and cutting it to size. You can buy a whole bunch of it for a reasonable price. Just slap it on before you put the top up then peel it off when you go topless.
this sounds like the way to go. I had the entire deck lid of my '95 covered with clear vinyl; great for the paint but you can see the trace where the top rests after a while.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Redcorvette1965
Advanced

Default Help!!!

Can you please call me 732-890-8055? Wondering if you would make one for me since you already have the cutout and I will pay you for the material and time.

Terry

Originally Posted by BillbUrruss

I have a black cloth deck lid protector from a company that went under years ago. It covers about half of the deck and is shaped to fit the rear bow. It’s made of a heavy soft cotton and lays in place perfectly, has cutouts for the release latches.
when I put the top down I roll it up and throw it in with the top.
It’s at least 20 years old and is gettin a little ratty so I went to Joanns fabric shop and bought a piece of material to make a duplicate. It a lot better than the film.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:44 PM
surfbug
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcorvette1965
Can you please call me 732-890-8055? Wondering if you would make one for me since you already have the cutout and I will pay you for the material and time.

Terry

Hi, did you ever get this done? I would be interested too....I have a 1994 convertible C4 ... base model LT1 automatic.

Thanks!

Allen

Get notified of new replies

To Deck Lid Protector Or Not ?

Quick Reply: Deck Lid Protector Or Not ?