C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'95 Auto trans to ZF 6-speed conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 PM
h-d-ryder
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Auto trans to ZF 6-speed conversion

Has anyone converted a '92 to '96 LT1 auto trans car into a ZF 6-speed manual trans car? I did a '87 4+3 manual trans to ZF 6-speed manual trans conversion in 2003 which was very straight forward.

My main concern is the wire harness to the trans. For the '87 4+3 to ZF switch, all I needed to do was change harness end connectors for the reverse lights and Vehicle Speed Sensor. I am not sure what may be require to change on the auto trans wire harness to be able to use the manual trans.

I need to remove the auto trans to service the rear main seal soon, and I have a ZF 6-speed ready to install if I determine it is feasible.

Any insight on this matter will be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

oh, it's feasable... but I wonder about the logic...

My concern is that you will have to upgrade the rear diff. That's another $2k spent for that.

would it not make more sense to trade the car with one that already has a manual?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:11 AM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by bogus
oh, it's feasable... but I wonder about the logic...

...would it not make more sense to trade the car with one that already has a manual?
It might, but a lot of us don't WANT to trade the car for a plethora of reasons. Why do we keep getting the same answer?

We've now established it's not "logical", or "cost effective."
Old 04-22-2006, 01:41 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by STREETKNIGHT
It might, but a lot of us don't WANT to trade the car for a plethora of reasons. Why do we keep getting the same answer?

We've now established it's not "logical", or "cost effective."
it would be easier to buy a stock 6spd car, and swap motors than to spend the $$ to upgrade an automatic... that's my point.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I would think that you would need to trick the park/neutral switch wiring so that the computer thinks that the car is in park or neutral so that it will start. Or maybe re-program the ecm so that it is set for a ZF6. I'm not sure what else would be required. The key lock mechanism would need to be rigged or something so that the key will turn without having a selector in "Park". Make sure that the new flywheel is balanced properly so that it balances the motor correctly if required for that year. I'm not sure if the LT1 uses the flywheel flexplate for balancing or not. Someone her will know if you either need to match balance the flywheel to the flex plate or just balance the flywheel to itself. D44 rear end would be recommended but not required. And driveshaft, C beam, and batwing for D44. And the pedals, clutch and all of course. Maybe even the clutch pedal safety switch. Just thinking out loud here of stuff that should be needed.

How straight forward was the 4+3 to ZF6 conversion? I posed this question a while back and some thought it was more trouble than just swapping the trans. It seems to me that you would only need the trans, bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch assembly. Maybe a gear for the speed sensor. And maybe a driveshaft.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:39 PM
bdvdvh7
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trade cars, not transmissions.

Get notified of new replies

To '95 Auto trans to ZF 6-speed conversion

Quick Reply: '95 Auto trans to ZF 6-speed conversion