Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Callaway twin turbo value

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:23 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

EBAY IS NOT THE MARKETPLACE TO GUAGE SALES, Period.

I especially love when people talk about the $15,000 nice ZR-1s on ebay...
Old 05-20-2006, 03:17 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida

I especially love when people talk about the $15,000 nice ZR-1s on ebay...

Dude over in the ZR1 section stole one for 9500, hes got pics and all

I love the look of the Aerobody, just damn sexy
Old 05-20-2006, 05:05 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 2nd2SEX
Dude over in the ZR1 section stole one for 9500, hes got pics and all

I love the look of the Aerobody, just damn sexy
Yea but it needs a motor rebuild too.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Callaway4Fun
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the price guide is out in the new Corvette Enthusiast and it thanks Chris as being the Callaway expert on the value of Callaway cars.I know that Chris consulted at least 2 other experts on Callaways in order to achieve the correct value of these carsand I know both of the experts that he consulted with . TPI Get your facts straight as Chris has his facts published in the magazine
Originally Posted by Callaway4Fun
TPI before you go knocking anyone about knowing the value of Callaway Twin turbos you shoild listen to what 89X2 said about car pricing. I have followed the market for several years before buying the car I have now . I have traveled around the country looking at cars for sale. before and after I bought mine . You are critizing him because he is selling one of his cars right now that is wrong. 89X2 is on the money with his pricing of cars value You have no idea how well he is thoughts of and reguarded in the corvetteworld as far as Callaways. He is a writer for Corvette Enthusiast specializing in Callaways with a great knowledge of C4 corvettes. Chris has all the prices that cars have sold for over the years . Ebay does not command top dollar .Every one is looking for a deal with Ebay .It is very rare that you see a museum piece hit Ebay. and then the reserve is not met.I have had the pleasure of knowing Chris for years and can tell you that Nobody knows Callaways better than Chris . I know this from experience because I have met with Chris and Callaway Cars reguarding the cars Value ,parts availability, service ect. So do yourself a favor and listen to what everyone is telling you Chris knows what he is talking about .End of story
Old 05-20-2006, 06:18 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Well the price guide is out in the new Corvette Enthusiast and it thanks Chris as being the Callaway expert on the value of Callaway cars.I know that Chris consulted at least 2 other experts on Callaways in order to achieve the correct value of these carsand I know both of the experts that he consulted with . TPI Get your facts straight as Chris has his facts published in the magazine
I know this is true b/c Im sure the sale of my 41k mile 88 Callaway TT last year was used in those figures. The numbers in the mag are right on.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Ibuyvettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread reminds me of Joe dirt where he's looking through the auto trader and going I'll give him this for it.

We can all come up with theory's on the market of car's in this case Callaways, You can sit there and tell everyone thier opinion is false because you want to pay nothing for one, but at the end of the day you don't have a Callaway.

My earlier post is not opinion it is market reality. You want a cheap one get an 87 with 50k+ If you want a car that will be easy to flip down the road you have to pay the price. After all if you owned such a car I'm sure you would not want to sell it for what the eBayers will pay for it either. Sure buyers typically determine market but not always, during the Callaway turbo years 87-91 Gm built 124,118 Corvettes, only 497 were Callaways. Thats only 4% So at any given time there are probably 40 or less for sale (I'm sure way less) I can tell you more than 40 people want one of these cars that means supply does not meet demand and that makes it a sellers market, just like real estate a couple years ago. That means if you don't want to pay for the car then you don't get car and there are more people looking for one than there are cars to look at.

As for Chris's car not selling he has only had it for sale for a month and a half, I've seen cars sit for 6 months. Specialty cars always take longer to sell, that does not make it too high just needs the right person. Chris was that right person last time and someone else will be soon.

Also you have been a member here for 6 months and are rubbing people the wrong way already, 89x2 is a much respected member here, is directly tied into the Corvette world and friends with the upper brass of anything Corvette. Just a couple weeks ago he was at the local hangout with Lance Miller son of Corvettes at Carlise CO-founder Chip Miller the largest Corvette gathering on the planet. He will have more members behind him than you.

As far as you not wanting my opinion, I not only buy vettes I sell em too, and have had more Corvettes than you could want, and no I don't have any cheap Callaways sitting around.

By the way Mike Yager of Mid america has an 88 twin turbo he never drives, why don't you make him an offer under 30k?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
TPI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TPI before you go knocking anyone about knowing the value of Callaway Twin turbos you shoild listen to what 89X2 said about car pricing. I have followed the market for several years before buying the car I have now . I have traveled around the country looking at cars for sale. before and after I bought mine . You are critizing him because he is selling one of his cars right now that is wrong. 89X2 is on the money with his pricing of cars value You have no idea how well he is thoughts of and reguarded in the corvetteworld as far as Callaways. He is a writer for Corvette Enthusiast specializing in Callaways with a great knowledge of C4 corvettes. Chris has all the prices that cars have sold for over the years . Ebay does not command top dollar .Every one is looking for a deal with Ebay .It is very rare that you see a museum piece hit Ebay. and then the reserve is not met.I have had the pleasure of knowing Chris for years and can tell you that Nobody knows Callaways better than Chris . I know this from experience because I have met with Chris and Callaway Cars reguarding the cars Value ,parts availability, service ect. So do yourself a favor and listen to what everyone is telling you Chris knows what he is talking about .End of story
I'm not "criticizing" anyone. I'm looking for data, i.e. selling prices not asking prices, but thanks for your opnion.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
TPI
Instructor

Originally Posted by *89x2*
TPI, you sir, are not listening to reality.

You have made an awful lot of assumptions here - total baloney

As a BUYER, I paid what I thought the cars were worth - each car, when you are talking about a rare car such as these, is somewhat difficult to guage... In all honesty, I could care less if I sell my 1989 Callaway - heck, I still have the other Callaways so if it sells, great - if not, so what...

As a SELLER, I have done my homework as well.

Regarding E-bay, let me say this once, and say it LOUDLY!

Regarding auctions - they may, or may not determine values...

I know of an 89 Aerobody car that sold for $39,000 - Does that peg the market at 39k? No, it is simply one data point.

I know of an 87 convertible that sold in the mid 20's - what about that? After looking at both cars, the 89 was filthy dirty and the 87 had cracks underhood in the ducting and other heavy cosmetic damage.

That is what two cars sold for at "auctions" - I have more data.

Thank you to those who complimented my opinions on values - I know you all see the same shades of reality I do - not as an owner, not as a seller or buyer, but as a real enthusiast.

TPI, I had some guy email me about my car asking a lot of good questions only to come to this very forum and post his thoughts of trying to get the car for $20,000. This is a car I am asking 32k for - a car he never called me about, or came to look at - yet he KNOWS the VALUE w/ out ever seeing the car

Honestly, if someone offered me less than what I wanted for the car, I would be more inclined to just keep the car - I don't need the money
You have a lot of supporters on corvette forum judging by the posts. However I don't understand the negative comments. I apreciate your feedback, and web info you have given me. You are an expert on Callaways, and a seller, not highley motivated, but a seller. I'm not trying to offend, but I would like to find as many recent selling prices and examples (conditions) as possable so I can be as certain as you are about value before I put down my hard earned cash. I have not made any offers, much less lowball offers to date. This aplies to all of the offended posters as well.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:31 PM
TPI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ibuyvettes
This thread reminds me of Joe dirt where he's looking through the auto trader and going I'll give him this for it.

We can all come up with theory's on the market of car's in this case Callaways, You can sit there and tell everyone thier opinion is false because you want to pay nothing for one, but at the end of the day you don't have a Callaway.

My earlier post is not opinion it is market reality. You want a cheap one get an 87 with 50k+ If you want a car that will be easy to flip down the road you have to pay the price. After all if you owned such a car I'm sure you would not want to sell it for what the eBayers will pay for it either. Sure buyers typically determine market but not always, during the Callaway turbo years 87-91 Gm built 124,118 Corvettes, only 497 were Callaways. Thats only 4% So at any given time there are probably 40 or less for sale (I'm sure way less) I can tell you more than 40 people want one of these cars that means supply does not meet demand and that makes it a sellers market, just like real estate a couple years ago. That means if you don't want to pay for the car then you don't get car and there are more people looking for one than there are cars to look at.

As for Chris's car not selling he has only had it for sale for a month and a half, I've seen cars sit for 6 months. Specialty cars always take longer to sell, that does not make it too high just needs the right person. Chris was that right person last time and someone else will be soon.

Also you have been a member here for 6 months and are rubbing people the wrong way already, 89x2 is a much respected member here, is directly tied into the Corvette world and friends with the upper brass of anything Corvette. Just a couple weeks ago he was at the local hangout with Lance Miller son of Corvettes at Carlise CO-founder Chip Miller the largest Corvette gathering on the planet. He will have more members behind him than you.

As far as you not wanting my opinion, I not only buy vettes I sell em too, and have had more Corvettes than you could want, and no I don't have any cheap Callaways sitting around.

By the way Mike Yager of Mid america has an 88 twin turbo he never drives, why don't you make him an offer under 30k?
This diatribe is uncalled for. I have made no offers, much less lowball offers. I have criticized no one. Unless you have real info please don't post on this thread.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by TPI
You have a lot of supporters on corvette forum judging by the posts. However I don't understand the negative comments. I apreciate your feedback, and web info you have given me. You are an expert on Callaways, and a seller, not highley motivated, but a seller. I'm not trying to offend, but I would like to find as many recent selling prices and examples (conditions) as possable so I can be as certain as you are about value before I put down my hard earned cash. I have not made any offers, much less lowball offers to date. This aplies to all of the offended posters as well.

Listen, I appreciate your desire to find out what "one sells for" however, you have to understand that with only 500 cars made, they can be tough to peg, dollar wise. This is partially due to the fact so few were built but also, they could be ordered as any other Vette could be ordered w/ options - The Twin Turbo Option was just one of many the car might have and may affect its value.

As SurfnSun mentioned, his car sold for $26k ...he was asking $28k
That was for a 1988 Coupe, 2 tops I think...
You asked what one sells for - there you go

I just answered an email from someone looking at the yellow 1987 Callaway. By the price guide, if you consider it to be a "good" car, it has a value of $32,400 w/ the AeroBody factored in - this does NOT add in the value the Dymags would add - nor does it take away value for the incorrect transmission (IMO, that aspect, on THAT CAR does not add value, as it was not done completely). The "buyer" asked if the asking price of $25k was too much Heck NO - it would be the absolute CHEAPEST AeroBody Convertible I would have ever seen, if the title is clear (non-branded).

Do yourself a favor - go pick up the newest issue of Corvette Enthusiast magazine w/ the Corvette Price Guide in it - Callaway Vettes are listed and the author, Eric Lawrence, writes the CPI "Cars of Particular Interest" book - you know, the one used by Banks, Insurance Co's, Appraisers, etc.

In closing, while I am considered by you to be a "seller" and you are obviously discounting virtually everything I say - keep in mind that I was / am a buyer too. ...at some point, I paid money for the cars, right?? Don't worry, it's within line of the guide
Old 05-23-2006, 07:19 PM
TPI
Instructor

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Listen, I appreciate your desire to find out what "one sells for" however, you have to understand that with only 500 cars made, they can be tough to peg, dollar wise. This is partially due to the fact so few were built but also, they could be ordered as any other Vette could be ordered w/ options - The Twin Turbo Option was just one of many the car might have and may affect its value.

As SurfnSun mentioned, his car sold for $26k ...he was asking $28k
That was for a 1988 Coupe, 2 tops I think...
You asked what one sells for - there you go

I just answered an email from someone looking at the yellow 1987 Callaway. By the price guide, if you consider it to be a "good" car, it has a value of $32,400 w/ the AeroBody factored in - this does NOT add in the value the Dymags would add - nor does it take away value for the incorrect transmission (IMO, that aspect, on THAT CAR does not add value, as it was not done completely). The "buyer" asked if the asking price of $25k was too much Heck NO - it would be the absolute CHEAPEST AeroBody Convertible I would have ever seen, if the title is clear (non-branded).

Do yourself a favor - go pick up the newest issue of Corvette Enthusiast magazine w/ the Corvette Price Guide in it - Callaway Vettes are listed and the author, Eric Lawrence, writes the CPI "Cars of Particular Interest" book - you know, the one used by Banks, Insurance Co's, Appraisers, etc.

In closing, while I am considered by you to be a "seller" and you are obviously discounting virtually everything I say - keep in mind that I was / am a buyer too. ...at some point, I paid money for the cars, right?? Don't worry, it's within line of the guide
Again, I'm sorry if you feel ofended. I have not discounted everythig. You have given me some usefull information, and I will follow up on the corvette price guide. However, I am interested in hearing about any callaway sale that has occured recently from anyone with knowledge of the sale even though they are few and far between.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by TPI
Again, I'm sorry if you feel ofended. I have not discounted everythig. You have given me some usefull information, and I will follow up on the corvette price guide. However, I am interested in hearing about any callaway sale that has occured recently from anyone with knowledge of the sale even though they are few and far between.

Did you read the part where my car sold?

Look it was estimated a few years ago that less than 400 cars still exist. These cars aren't selling all the time b/c there are so few of them. I know of only 5-7 cars that sold last year. 89x2 probably knows more.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:28 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by TPI

Look it was estimated a few years ago that less than 400 cars still exist. These cars aren't selling all the time b/c there are so few of them. I know of maybe 5-7 cars that sold last year. 89x2 probably knows more.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 05-23-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:18 PM
TPI
Instructor

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald

good luck on the callaway hunt.

there is one on ebay right now 33.5K buys it now.
Thanks for the info. I have been watching this one, but unfortunately it is too far away for me to see it, and I don't think I would spend this kind of money without looking first. I hope to find one in California, Nevada, or Arizona. Also I would like a convert. I know it may take a while to find the right car in the right location, but I am patient. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:29 PM
TPI
Instructor

Originally Posted by SurfnSun

Look it was estimated a few years ago that less than 400 cars still exist. These cars aren't selling all the time b/c there are so few of them. I know of maybe 5-7 cars that sold last year. 89x2 probably knows more.
Yes your car sold for $26K, and it is encouraging to know that some callaway TT's sel for under $30K. You, or someone informed me that 87's have a lower power rating, and may be less expensive than later models, and this is also good to know. I know that Callaway TT sales are few, and I may have to wait awhile to find the right car for me. In the mean time, I would like as much information as possable. Thanks for your feed back
Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TPI
Yes your car sold for $26K, and it is encouraging to know that some callaway TT's sel for under $30K. You, or someone informed me that 87's have a lower power rating, and may be less expensive than later models, and this is also good to know. I know that Callaway TT sales are few, and I may have to wait awhile to find the right car for me. In the mean time, I would like as much information as possable. Thanks for your feed back
Take your time and hang on to your money. The way the stock market is tanking, and the very real possibility the FED will take us into recession like 2000-2001, means wait and see. If the FED does cause a recession there will be a lot fewer big ego guys strutting around the stage at B-J for a couple years. The chances of Callaway prices getting away to the upside are pretty slim right now. Those Callaways won't tank like the high dollar muscle cars, but I do think prices won't run away any time soon.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:18 PM
TPI
Instructor

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
Take your time and hang on to your money. The way the stock market is tanking, and the very real possibility the FED will take us into recession like 2000-2001, means wait and see. If the FED does cause a recession there will be a lot fewer big ego guys strutting around the stage at B-J for a couple years. The chances of Callaway prices getting away to the upside are pretty slim right now. Those Callaways won't tank like the high dollar muscle cars, but I do think prices won't run away any time soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway twin turbo value

Old 06-09-2006, 08:38 PM
JCFILM
Burning Brakes

There is an '87 in my area (Illinois) for sale at 29,888 with 17,000 miles.

Last edited by JCFILM; 06-09-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Safe Bet!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rbo-value.html

Old 09-07-2015, 03:10 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Now that I'm getting a Callaway C7 (!) the desire for a Callaway Speedster or C4 Aerobody Callaway has only grown. Must get bigger garage... And bigger bank account...

Quick Reply: Callaway twin turbo value