Almost brought a tear to my eye ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 01:05 AM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Almost brought a tear to my eye ;)

I went up to Blockbuster to get a movie for me and the gf, and as I was on my way out I overheard some litte kid say "Dad, there's a sweet Corvette in the parking lot!" That felt really good, after previously getting flicked off in traffic twice for no reason whatsoever, one was a younger 5.slow driver, the other was just some guy, I'm guessing they were just jealous..? Also, a friend's friend tonight told me that I'm a 'pu$$y' because I have an automatic Vette.. :mad Anyone else take crap for having an auto? :chevy
Old 08-25-2001, 01:10 AM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (Drewdog)

I went up to Blockbuster to get a movie for me and the gf, and as I was on my way out I overheard some litte kid say "Dad, there's a sweet Corvette in the parking lot!" That felt really good, after previously getting flicked off in traffic twice for no reason whatsoever, one was a younger 5.slow driver, the other was just some guy, I'm guessing they were just jealous..? Also, a friend's friend tonight told me that I'm a 'pu$$y' because I have an automatic Vette.. :mad Anyone else take crap for having an auto? :chevy
I've never taken a fraction of an ounce of crap for having an automatic (transmission) Vette! Never, Ever, Nada!!!
Old 08-25-2001, 01:16 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

No one has the guts to tell me:D. These are great autos and I can't see how an auto makes your car less of a Corvette. Just wait till I get my gears.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:21 AM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (Raysur)

It was some stupid girl who said it, she's like 'it's just stupid to buy a car like that and not get a stick.' I was actually looking for a manual, but after test driving this baby I started takin out the benjamins lol.. I enjoy simply flooring the pedal and flying by traffic, a friend has a manual 2k Camaro and I had him by at least half a car length. Also, another friend's dad said 'nice car', until he saw it was an automatic, and gave me the dirtiest look :mad Whatever.. maybe I should trade my car for an LT4?
Old 08-25-2001, 01:22 AM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

Any vette is nice to own. Who cares if it is auto or stick?? That is personal preference. Learn to ignore fools and their comments. :seeya
Old 08-25-2001, 01:25 AM
Jsailor24
Burning Brakes

Had the same kind of experience the other day on the way home from the pool. Top Off. Kid on bike goes " Nice Car". The ricers at my school give me crap about an auto but bottom line is they and i both know they want my car more than thheirs and they get quiet when i bring up the fact that my auto can beat the crap out of their manuals. Man! ricers are so stupid.
:smash:
:U

[Modified by Jsailor24, 11:26 PM 8/24/2001]
Old 08-25-2001, 01:47 AM
Don Martin
Drifting

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (Jsailor24)

It's true that sticks are cool with the youngsters. I have had 3, 4, 5 and 7 speed sticks. I had sticks, I don't have to do that anymore. I really prefer the auto. I selected it. I can drive better with it. Two hands on the wheel, instant response and its safer too.

You can always say your feet are too big to work the clutch. Maybe some girl will get the connection!
Old 08-25-2001, 02:16 AM
flyinace2000
Drifting

St. Jude Contributor

If anyone give me crap about owning an auto i just ask what kinda car they have...They usually get real quiet. Anyway the only kids at my school who do give me crap are they ones pumping my gas. I usually make sure to fill up when they work. HAHAHHA ok.... got a little over the top there but you get the point. The best if someone say something while giving them a ride home. At the next stop light i make sure that they feel the power and smell the tires smoke!
Old 08-25-2001, 02:20 AM
BlackGold
Instructor

Can't say I do. I have a 6 Spd.
Whimp.

Just kidding. The only reason I have the 6 is because I drove 4 hours to Atlanta to a Corvette "place" and they said they found me a Black w/ Red interior Vette ( I had been waiting 8 months to find one-I told them I was in no hurry). Cool , be ther Saturday. I get there, four hours from my house, only to find a Red with Black interior. :mad Man was I mad.
I told the salesman," Do you know how many Red with Black interior Corvettes are for sale in my neighborhood? ...Alot
Well after four hours of driving I couldn't go home empty. So I drove Blk/Blk 6 Spd home and am very pleased. :blueangel: Just like I'm pleased with the CorvetteForum
Old 08-25-2001, 02:26 AM
BlackGold
Instructor

funny how they don't want you talking on the cellphone or ladies putting on makeup while driving, ...
...but they'll build a car that requires one hand to shift and the other to steer a 405 HP vehicle.
What are they thinking.

I too prefer the auto to everyday driving, which is how often I drive my Vette, but I do like shifting from time to time. There 's something real special about running the gears at REDLINE next to some Italian trash (I'm talking about the car not the driver) :blueangel:
Old 08-25-2001, 04:47 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get all kinds of crap from people that say auto's are tons slower than manuals... i just laugh and let them continue to believe what they will. I always ask if they want to go out to a lonely road and prove it to me of course... no one has taken me up on that offer yet though.... :( hehehhee

[Modified by Glock'94, 12:18 PM 8/25/2001]
Old 08-25-2001, 05:27 AM
wilb3
Pro

Love that pic Raysur! :cheers:
Old 08-25-2001, 05:34 AM
wilb3
Pro

Bottom line is "Drive what you prefer". Most people that give grief to automatic Vettes have never even driven one and 2nd- they more than likely would not go against you on the track! There are a lot of haters out there...take them like a grain of salt..... :U
Old 08-25-2001, 09:32 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely don't sweat it. I understand automatics are actually better for the quarter mile for example. My six speed is very pleasing to drive/shift but my shifting skills would make me loose to your automatic in a race(I think?) Don Martin: very funny "feet too big-connection"!! :lol: Blackgold: nice choice in color! Nice car! Same here. I frequently think about re-doing the carpet in red as I would like that color combo also.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:45 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (89 Paul in cal)

An automatic is just a 4 speed stick, isn't it??? Just cause they have that automatic clutch thingy... :lol: shouldn't make it any less desireable. I got the 6 speed and love it, but there are times when I wish it was a automatic and there are times when I am glad its a stick. :yesnod: Unless your disappointed in it I wouldn't let morons get me upset.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:43 AM
Bones LT1
Pro

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (CowboyNVette)

My 93 is an auto. I wouldn't have bought it if it was a stick. Didn't want a stick.
Sure there fun for a day or two, but here you can't use one anyway.
There is so much traffic and Cal Trans that you'd never get out of 3 gear.

Try 15 miles in bumper to bumper up a hill in a six speed? What do they do with those other 3 gears?
Maybe if I lived in the waste land {anywhere outside of California} I'd buy a stick, but here there useless. We don't need cars we need fork lifts. 5 mph for 20 miles no over heating.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:49 PM
Corvette Kid 92
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (Bones LT1)

I had to get a stick, but autos are fun too. I can't see a reason someone would think less of your car. It's just preference on that one

Get notified of new replies

To Almost brought a tear to my eye ;)

Old 08-25-2001, 01:26 PM
ezmoney92
Racer

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (Corvette Kid 92)

I have an auto in my '92, and yes I've had afew comments. But, I've been at the track lots of times and think I've seen 4 or 5 guys who actually can REALY drive a stick. Hell, I saw a stock Cobra put the hurt on a Viper GTS cause the guy in the Viper didn't know what the hell he was doin'. Anyways, try a set of 373 gears, a vigilante converter, and a Trans Go shift kit, take them for a ride and then see what they say. :yesnod:
Old 08-25-2001, 01:42 PM
sigung86
Drifting

Drive what you like, unless "they" are willing to make the payments! :yesnod:

I drive 50 miles one way to work each day, on I-70, about 20 miles into it, it becomes bumper to bumper on most days. Being 53 years old, and really into creature comfort, the automatic suits me just fine. Anymore, due to the idiots on the road, I really hate to drive, so I drive what I really like, a Corvette. It's stock and not the fastest car on the road, but Dang if I don't get lots of looks and waves from purty gals when I'm tooling along with the top down or up!

Enjoy it Brother! You only go around once, or so I've been told! :jester

Take care,

Dan Farmer
Old 08-25-2001, 02:12 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;) (sigung86)

Well its always cool to hear people talking about the car when your walking by and they dont know its yours :cool:
As for the automatic bashes it is usless to explain it to them but if you were hell bent on getting a convertable 6 speed it may take a lot of looking for what you want, Inform them that this is a used car I didnt orderit that way the old fart who bought it new did :lol: The majority of vettes are automatics so tell them to pack sand get away fom the car if you dont like it and start walking!!
Causeim going to drive my automatic vette!! :smash:

Quick Reply: Almost brought a tear to my eye ;)