Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Minor interior tinkering... [modem burner]

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

And now for the $100,000 question....

I actually took part of my interior apart, wheel wells, and sound undercoated my car five years ago. I added a lot of extra sound insulation around the back wheels, rear coupe, doors, and undercarriage. I was surprised at how much road noise you can knock out of a vette.

On the backside of the rear wheel wells, I even used fiberglass batting just like homeowners use. When I was done, my car was SO much quieter that exhaust and road noise were reduced to less than half. More importantly, my car felt slower!

I thought to myself... Gee, did I add that much weight? NO! I removed the batting from the rear wheel wells and raised the exhaust volume by replacing rear mufflers with stainless tips.

When the sound level was restored, it felt fast again. My conclusion... Sound affects your perception of speed. Didn't really surprise me much. I remember the first time I drove a luxury car on the highway. That lack of environmental noise made it easy to creep faster and faster.

Have you noticed that with your sound-proofing job?

When I COMPLETELY redo my interior this winter, I'm torn about how much extra insulation to add. Quite, noise-isolated cars are nice, but we're talking vette here.... I don't want to make it SEEM slower!

gp
Old 09-26-2006, 05:25 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

No, mine was pretty loud from the start so no amount of sound insulation can make it quiet. The insulations took out all rattles and most squeaks and tire noise but engine sound is still clearly there.

My dd is Audi A6 V6 which is so well insulated I cannot hear engine at all in highway speeds. Compared to that my Vette is 10x louder.

If you still are afraid of losing engine sound I recommend you go and buy long tubes, delete precats and install free flow mufflers and you should be ok
Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ToniH
If you still are afraid of losing engine sound I recommend you go and buy long tubes, delete precats and install free flow mufflers and you should be ok

Actually, I have side pipes, a larger front Y, and I did delete the front pre-cats (for awhile). Then it got kinda loud -- inside the car. It was never too loud from the outside. (When I'm done with the insulation, I might yank the front precats again)!

Vettes have some vicious internal harmonics.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:34 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, that is just flat incredible. Props man, serious props.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:25 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drivers seat:

That is beautiful. You are a C4 god.

GM should hire you to design some decent interiors for their cars.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:14 PM
85VetteTerreHaute
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to bump for people that hasnt seen this. This is AMAZING. Best threat for interior i have seen yet
Old 11-27-2010, 04:25 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Thanks!

Last edited by ToniH; 02-26-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Expired link removed
Old 11-27-2010, 04:40 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

love this thread! Just another road to go down and spend $$$ I would love to do mine one day like this
Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Tony, have you got your 91 all back together since the front end accident?

Your interior job is so beautiful that we all want this car to be on the road to serve as an inspiration to all C4 owners that a classy interior is indeed possible on a C4

Regards,

Mark
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM
nypearson
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive to say the least. I will save this thread for future reference.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Tony, have you got your 91 all back together since the front end accident?
Nope, the project has gone from simple damage fix to major upgrade (bodywork, trans, engine, fuel system, exhaust, suspension etc.).

Luckily the damage was mostly to front bumper cover and the hood so the damage itself was a easy fix technically (frame and suspension were ok, even the crash bumper was ok).

Meanwhile, I bought a '70 454, have no big plans but eventually I have hope to do an interior restoration/update to it too.

Last edited by ToniH; 02-27-2020 at 07:09 AM. Reason: updates
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

TTT
Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 85VetteTerreHaute
Just had to bump for people that hasnt seen this. This is AMAZING. Best threat for interior i have seen yet
I usually complain when people wake up old threads.. not this time.. Wow great read.

Thanks!

In case some of the picture links have expired they are now here: Project pictures
] Nice Job! I will be bookmaking this one
Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

how do I keep this thread? Going to tackel this interior project.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one amazing interior redo. Good job.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 AM
minesweeper
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I worked to finish the car so a big day for me

It took several hours to make the center console panel fit properly with the hu in place. For some reason it didn't want to fit at all - when I got one corner straight another popped out. So I grinded it again and again test fitting between. In the end it fit pretty good but I needed to repaint it. Paintwork ended up better than it was before

I also once again removed the airbag to get the horn buttons out. I then sanded them again and applied the final color and clear coats. They turned up nicely too.

Finally I installed the last panels: driver and passenger knee panels and the small triangle panel becide gas pedal. They were total b.tch to install when everything else is already in place - no room!! In the end I got them in and now my interior is 99.8% finished.

Thank you everybody for your encouragement!

Its great your leather interieur !!!!

I only miss a double-DIN Radio/CD-Player, the small one looks not originally and a little displaced and tiny in dashboard.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Finally!!!!!! One of THE best threads in the C4 section has been unlocked and resurrected.

Tony has been in touch with the Mods and it was agreed to unlock this old post in the interest of the C4 members.

This is the most detailed highest quality interior project I've ever seen posted here. This really should be put up in the sticky section!!

Thanks to TonyH for doing this project and for the wonderful photos. Thanks to the moderators of the Forum for unlocking this thread!
Old 03-01-2020, 03:10 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Thanks, don't know about the best. I am sure there has been many similar and even better executed projects after mine but I might have started this thing - among C4s atleast. Cannot remember seeing any before mine, factory style restoration was the standard way to do it back then.

But, I just wanted to get the pic links updated after 8 years as I keep getting PMs about the project and pics, so I reached out to the Admin and he agreed to open it. Years ago it was locked because of an rule about old threads, which is no longer in effect because it killed so many build threads like this.

It was challenging to update the pics after all this time but I think I got them in roughly right order based on the discussion and my descriptions. This is now 3rd pic hosting site they are located, 2 previous ones have shut down, hope this one endures.

Last edited by ToniH; 03-01-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-19-2023, 06:55 AM
Jeff Fro
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW!! Excellant job!!

Makes me want to tear mine apart and follow in your footsteps!

Quick Reply: Minor interior tinkering... [modem burner]