Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

URGENT! Driver's side Rear wheel makes squeeling/squeaking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by aminnich
If you do go for it yourself let me know. I have a really good step by step procedure, with great pictures that would make it easy for you. I tried to copy it here earlier, but could not get it to copy.
Thanks! I've already copied some info from C4boy and Scorp regarding U joints, but if you also have a write up, i'd would certainly appreciate that info as well. I need to get my car back up and running normally asap, and the ujoint process is a lot to learn in a few minutes. My boss let me borrow his Tahoe for the time being till my vette gets fixed tomorrow.

I'll pm you my email address, perhaps you could send the procedure to me that way. I'll gladly use the info from all three of you to do the right side ujoints myself. That way, I can study all of the information thoroughly and be very well prepared for what to expect, and so that I can purchase any necessary tools. There's no way i'm going to take my vette in to do the right side ujoints , especially with all of the u-joint infomation that you guys are providing. Fortunately, this left u-joint repair is a one time expense for me, as I will prepare myself for any future issues with wheel bearings and ujoints. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Robert
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

My car's fixed and ready. They're gonna give it a good cleaning, I'll pick up my car in a couple of hours. I Can't wait to drive my vette again.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

One of my u-joints was nearly completely locked up, they had to drill it to get it off. The other ujoint was in very bad shape. No grease whatsoever. The small sliver-like bearings were breaking. But now everything is fixed. No more clunking when shifting into gear, no more squealing, no more metal breaking, no more clinking, and no more scraping sounds. Everything is back to the way it should be. Oh, and my car's clean
Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good deal! The write-up by Scorp is the one I had in mind. He did an excellent job. With that and a case of cold 'ones' you should be good to go when it is time to do the other side.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:34 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good deal! The write-up by Scorp is the one I had in mind. He did an excellent job. With that and a case of cold 'ones' you should be good to go when it is time to do the other side.
Like the man said. You'd be best to get the time and tools together and replace the other side. For 400+ bucks its worth buying your tools and a floor jack!

There's gotta be a bunch of CF'er around Austin to lend a hand.

The following users liked this post:
RalfKramden (06-07-2018)
Old 08-27-2006, 09:27 PM
rossholio
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Like the man said. You'd be best to get the time and tools together and replace the other side. For 400+ bucks its worth buying your tools and a floor jack!

There's gotta be a bunch of CF'er around Austin to lend a hand.

Better get ready soon. My right side failed first. I took it all apart and got new ujoints put in. It was a VERY short time later, like a couple of weeks, that my left side failed and I did it all over again.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Malcolm Nelson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default step by step for replacement u joints rear axle and wheel bearing hub assembly

If you do go for it yourself let me know. I have a really good step by step procedure, with great pictures that would make it easy for you. I tried to copy it here earlier, but could not get it to copy.
could you send me the step by step procedures for the rear u joint removal with wheel bearing removal and also the front axle u joint replacement as well at coachupmn@gmail.com my 86 vette went through the same squeeking, then a rough grinding i parked it and a mechanic i know who always works on my car was researching how to do it properly just trying to give him some help. thank you
Old 12-30-2015, 09:51 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I am leaning Towards wheel bearing.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:42 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Being a request for info was presented, here's what I used the other year: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=144562

It goes beyond the u-joints so I just used it to the point of the u-joint replacement. I also replaced the Teflon coated washers at the same time being I already had it apart.

In addition, I made a tool that functioned like the Tiger Tool for pressing out the old joints. About $10 in materials and a little time and I had something that worked in my hydraulic press that put pressure on the crosses and reduced the risk of damaging the yokes on the aluminum half-shafts. It worked exceptionally well for me and I had zero issues with it.

One thing I would suggest though is throw down a piece of carpet under the car while working on it. If you do drop a screw, it helps prevent it from skating away if it hits the concrete DAMHIK.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2018, 01:16 PM
RME1993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys!

I got a 1985 corvette that I built myself. I am actually having the same exact issue. I changed the brakes and rotors and the squeaking/chirping has continued. My caliper is definitely bad but i don't believe it should be causing a loud chirping noise. I am starting too think its my bearings.

Any advice on how to change the bearings without getting a headache?

Last edited by RME1993; 06-06-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think that you would be better off and get a much better response if you started your own thread. That way everyone will see it as a new issue.

This one is really from back in 2006.

Quick Reply: URGENT! Driver's side Rear wheel makes squeeling/squeaking noise.