C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear hatch won't open

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
95Torch
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rear hatch won't open

I have an intermittant probelm with the rear hatch release. when the release button is pressed on both the door or the one located under the center console, i can hear a very faint click, and the hatch never releases. It doesn't happen all the time, only happens when it i need to open it most. I was thinking maybe the rear hatch relay switch. Any more thoughts?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:44 PM
topgunvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this problem before as well but it just started working again and i forgot about it... i know there is a manual release in the hatch area though
Old 08-29-2006, 07:04 PM
1996 CE
Advanced

The rear hatch also has a solenoid. I had problems with mine, ordered a new solenoid, installed it and created a new problem. Pay close attention to the way you take the old solenoid off. You must install the new one in exactly the same way. It is possible to get the new solenoid on backward without knowing it! At least that is what I did! Couldn't get the hatch to open at all! Had to take it to the dealer to get my mistake corrected! Was told that I had installed the new solenoid backward!

The new solenoid improved my situation but did not completely correct it. My switch on the door works occasionally, but not always. My switch under the console works all the time. I even replaced the door switch and still did not fully correct my problem.

There is a release cable for the rear hatch, but it can be difficult to find without scarring your knuckles trying to locate it within the plastic trim area!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 95Torch
I have an intermittant probelm with the rear hatch release. when the release button is pressed on both the door or the one located under the center console, i can hear a very faint click, and the hatch never releases. It doesn't happen all the time, only happens when it i need to open it most. I was thinking maybe the rear hatch relay switch. Any more thoughts?
If you hear the click from the right rear of the cargo compartment, the relay is most likely fine. Mine was. I had to replace the solenoid on the latch. Works great now.

If you reach under the shade in the back, just to the left of the handle (as you look at it from inside) in the middle of the shade, you'll feel a small metal cablle that you'll likely have to grab with pliers. Pull it and the hatch will pop.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:33 AM
95Torch
Racer

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. One more question. Where can i find the solenoid?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:57 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Mine is intermittant too.

I actually added a wire crimp or fishing shot weight to the end of the little pull cable so I can grab it easier. I have to pull the cable 9 times out of 10.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
95Torch
Racer

I checked corvette america and downloaded a diagram...looks like the solenoid is actually attached to the cable. they sell the the cable and the solenoid for about 95.00 bucks, since i already ordered the relay, i'll probably go ahead and replace both.
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:44 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 95Torch
I checked corvette america and downloaded a diagram...looks like the solenoid is actually attached to the cable. they sell the the cable and the solenoid for about 95.00 bucks, since i already ordered the relay, i'll probably go ahead and replace both.
Thanks.
Be careful taking all the latch parts apart so they can be reassembled in the same position. I marked the edge of everything I removed with pencil marks.

As I recall, you first remove the targa latch handle, then the interior pieces, then the big metal bracket that keeps you from getting to the latch/solenoid (you have to remove 4 nuts, and 2 of them are under the edge of the carpet). You'll see the relay to your right all wrapped up with tape to the wiring harness. After that you can remove the one bolt that holds the solenoid to the latch and lift it off after you disconnect the wiring harness. It is soooo cool to have a hatch that works every time again.

Good Luck.

Last edited by xCCTer; 08-30-2006 at 07:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear hatch won't open

Quick Reply: Rear hatch won't open