Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

2x12 and Rhino Ramps

Old 11-01-2006, 08:24 AM
myred86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2x12 and Rhino Ramps

Okay- I hate to ramp up another ramp thread - I have a simple question. I've done the search- yes, Rhino Ramps or homemade are the way to go. I've also read that a 2x12 in front of the Rhino Ramp helps with scraping and movement of the ramp. So how is that done? A square piece in front of the ramp? A square piece beveled? A longer (foot or so??) 2x12 in front of the tire to get a running start??
Old 11-01-2006, 09:43 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

okay, first a moment for Mr. Dennis McGranagan (deceased), originally from oneida,ny, lived for several years in L.A.,cal, returned to oneida,ny...dennis was a friend, experienced at working on cars...used ramps (the steel ones) for years...somehow a car rolled forward while he was underneath, we will never know why, but we lost a great guy that day.

the front of some cars is low enough and extends in front of the wheels far enough to contact ramps before the wheel starts up the ramp ...you may need an ''approach'' section of boards or other material that will miss the bottom of the nose and that will be long enough to raise the front of the car before the ramp contact is made...''approach'' length varies as car ride heights differ and ramps are not all the same incline, usually a couple feet is enough....beveling the end of your ''approach'' board will make it easier to get onto the board, but many find it un-necessary...drive on slowly to prevent bounce which may cause damage...tying the ''approach'' to the ramp is helpful to ascertain that no gap develops.

BE CAREFUL...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

if you car isn't scraping the front air spoiler, don't worry about it. if it barely rubs a little, don't worry about it.

most of the stock height C4's will roll up with just a tiny bit of rub. those spoilers are made to flex and take it. if it is bending in any way though, the extra boards are just to get the car up a little higher on the approach to the ramp so it doesn't rub/scrape the spoiler.

not much else to it...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
myred86
Racer

Thank you. I thought I had an un-natural fear of ramps and jackstands, but after reading what you wrote about your friend, I'm even more nervous. I'm very sorry to hear that, and it is an important lesson. I've only resumed interest of late with ramps- I was scared off years ago when I was driving my '84 Buick Skyhawk up on steel ramps and one shot out (front wheel drive) and lodged itself behind the front wheel.

Somewhat related, on the back cover of the December 2006 "Hemming's Muscle Machines", there is an ad on the back cover for Backyard Buddy lifts- there is a very scary picture of a late C3 that has fallen onto a late C4 as a result of a competitor's lift failing.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by myred86
Thank you. I thought I had an un-natural fear of ramps and jackstands, but after reading what you wrote about your friend, I'm even more nervous. I'm very sorry to hear that, and it is an important lesson. I've only resumed interest of late with ramps- I was scared off years ago when I was driving my '84 Buick Skyhawk up on steel ramps and one shot out (front wheel drive) and lodged itself behind the front wheel.

Somewhat related, on the back cover of the December 2006 "Hemming's Muscle Machines", there is an ad on the back cover for Backyard Buddy lifts- there is a very scary picture of a late C3 that has fallen onto a late C4 as a result of a competitor's lift failing.
When using ramps, always use wheel wedges of rear wheels. They sell for $5.00 at Walmart.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I am always worried that I will drive the front wheels off the front of these things. I bought a cheap full-length mirror and place it so that I can see where I am on the ramps as I drive up and on them. This method seems to calm the pulse rate. I also bought a jacking plate from Corvettegadgetman that I use to jack up the rear. I then place the second set of Rhinos under the rear wheels or use jack stands. This way I can get under her and use my creeper.
Here is a pic. You can find more info at www.corvettegadgetman.com
Old 11-01-2006, 12:19 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Talk about Ramp Fear!! I had a Dodge 340 Duster roll back off a set of cheap steel ramps when I was 20 years old. Fractured my hip, fractured two vertabrae, and then 20 years later had an L4/L5 fusion done when I was 40 years old as a result of the earlier accident. The doctor in the ER said I was one of the very few that he saw that lives through something like this. He claims that most wind up with blunt force trauma to the head or they simply suffocate becasue of the weight of the car pins them and they can't raise thier chest to breathe. I wound up inside the transmision tunnel, which on that car was like a cavern.

Be careful - I prefer jack stands now!!! But I still always get a little skitish when I'm under a car, even on the pro-lifts as the dealership.

Take Care
Old 11-01-2006, 12:48 PM
myred86
Racer

Originally Posted by elefkow
When using ramps, always use wheel wedges of rear wheels. They sell for $5.00 at Walmart.

Yes- I will buy those- thanks! Sounds like the inferred advice from some of these stories if to buy two sets, for in front of and in back of the wheels- cheap insurance for no roll-back, or roll-forward!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:02 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

With the Greenwood kit on my car, I use the floor jack to put the front wheels up on the Rhino ramps
Old 11-01-2006, 03:52 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,381 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by biggrizzly
Talk about Ramp Fear!! I had a Dodge 340 Duster roll back off a set of cheap steel ramps when I was 20 years old. Fractured my hip, fractured two vertabrae, and then 20 years later had an L4/L5 fusion done when I was 40 years old as a result of the earlier accident. The doctor in the ER said I was one of the very few that he saw that lives through something like this. He claims that most wind up with blunt force trauma to the head or they simply suffocate becasue of the weight of the car pins them and they can't raise thier chest to breathe. I wound up inside the transmision tunnel, which on that car was like a cavern.

Be careful - I prefer jack stands now!!! But I still always get a little skitish when I'm under a car, even on the pro-lifts as the dealership.

Take Care
Stories like this make me appreciate my KwikLift even more. Wow. Glad you're still with us, Grizz...

Be well,

SJW
Old 11-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Ttime
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biggrizzly

Take Care
Damn that's scary! Glad your OK.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by myred86
He's a forum member and I remember when that happened.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

My club is sponsored by a local Chevy Dealership and they let us use the shop one night each month for changing oil and easy short duration maintenance. Included with this, is that we are allowed to use the lifts there in the service bays. When I first attended I was taught how to use the lifts and the safety concerns while using it, but I still get nervous when placing the lift arms to the lifting points on the car and then hitting the lift UP button. The car and lift initially shakes a little as it goes up. I'm always afraid I'll be the first guy in the club to knock a Vette off the lift on the way up!!

Get notified of new replies

To 2x12 and Rhino Ramps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2x12 and Rhino Ramps